Andy
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2015, 09:16 AM
Need less hobbies, more toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Tacking on the END, not the edges.

Andy
Roger that. I am guess the Windex activates the adhesive somehow?
Sep 29, 2015, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
For certain brands it seems to. I think it's the ammonia. I never tested that idea though.

Andy
Mar 10, 2017, 10:56 PM

Starting my Stunt Trainer build

Hi Andy,

After I bought the Stunt Trainer kit from Manzano Laser Works, I found this build thread from you. It has been a great read and full of good info. As I mentioned in a PM to you, the kit goes together very nicely and I'm looking forward to getting it in the air. I plan to use a Turnigy 1811-2900 motor, a Spektrum AS6410 Rx/ESC, and A2030L servos. I'm also using some left over nylon sleeves from a Dubro Micro Pushrod system to support 0.025 diam. push rods going to the rudder and elevator. I added some reinforcement to the aft fuselage near the middle of the push rods to support the nylon sleeves and to keep my fat hands from breaking the sides of the fuse. These are the only mods I made to the basic kit. You can see my mods in the enclosed photos. I'll post more photos after I get it covered and before I try to fly it.

Thanks for putting together a great little kit. I'll be ordering another one soon.

Ed
Mar 10, 2017, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
That looks really nice, Ed! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Be careful when adding weight in the tail - I needed to put some ballast between the firewall and the gear former to get mine to balance properly.

I see you cheated on the wheels

Andy
Mar 11, 2017, 01:47 PM
I didn't think the wooden wheels would last long on the rocks and sand we have out here in the desert, so it was an easy change. Also, if I need to add some weight up front, I was thinking of using an old Cox head and cylinder I have. I'll have to see how everything works out when I get it all together...

Ed
Mar 11, 2017, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
They seem to be fine on pavement. They scuff right on the edge, but other wise no problems.

I can't wait to see more!

Andy
Apr 01, 2017, 07:12 PM

Pre-Maiden Photos

Hi Andy,

Well, I finally got some time to finish up my Trainer, so here are some photos. Final weight without ballast and battery is 101gr. All up weight with E-flight 280mAh-2S battery and no ballast is 108gr. This places the CG around 1in from the LE. I added a 7gr ballast weight to get the CG around the 3/4in mark for the initial flights (no flights yet). With ballast and battery, my weight comes out at 118gr all-up.

I had some questions about the settings you used in the AS3X program. Currently, I have the settings as:

Gain: ELE = -1, AIL = +1, RUD = +1
Stick Priority: ELE = 0.5, AIL = 0.5, RUD = 0.5
PCB POS = 0 (horizontal)
AS3X on/off: Ch 5 = 1

I would be interested in knowing what settings you used on your Trainer. This is my first experience with a stabilized A/C, and I'm looking forward to getting it in the air. I had enough fun putting this kit together, that I already bought another one to see how much I can lighten it up.

Ed
Apr 01, 2017, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
I LOVE IT!!! That's beautiful!

If you'd like to get some stars for the wings, I used Guillow Stearman (#803) on a plane once.

http://www.guillow.com/803decalsheet.aspx

That is just beautiful.

I would tone down the aileron and elevator to .6 for a first flight, and the rudder to .8. The priority is OK.

Make sure you have the Gear switch really working for the gains the way you want. The plane is easy to fly, but being able to turn off stabilization can be a real help if you find something isn't quite right.

Andy
Apr 04, 2017, 03:39 PM

I like this little Plane

Hi Andy
I built the Stunt Trainer too!
Apr 04, 2017, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
That's beautiful! I like the blue and cream better than my black and cream!

Nice workmanship!

And thank you for sharing photos with us.

Andy
Apr 05, 2017, 11:21 PM
Looks interesting.
Nov 03, 2018, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
I just got a PM from a guy asking about props.

I have flown it successfully with several of the E-flite UMX props.

EFLUP050275 - this is the one I used first and has a good range of power. If you have a setup similar to what I used, start with this.
EFLU5601 (Cessna prop) - similar performance.
EFLP4540E - needs 3S to really spin it, which means you need the Cessna rx to handle it.

Andy
Jun 01, 2019, 11:06 AM
I "almost" hate to say this...but this looks like a great kit to take back to CL. How much does your RC gear weigh? I'd like to compare it to a Norvel .049 engine.

Thanks in advance.
Jun 01, 2019, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
It's too lightly built for CL. Use the plans outline to make a solid sheet wing 1/4".

You might try somewhere like Blackhawk Models for appropriate construction.

Andy

Quick Reply