Joysway/Ripmax Orion Sailboat - Page 5 - RC Groups
Aug 24, 2015, 05:40 PM
can you take a shot of the metal ring ? i don't understand how many time i have to turn on it
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2015, 10:21 AM
You mean the ring at the front of all the rigging hardware? If so, I think you want this.

The sheet line runs from the end of the servo arm, through the ring, then back through the hole at the end of the servo arm.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:56 AM
thank you very much! today i'm waiting for the new tx and rx.....cross the finger for installation!
Aug 26, 2015, 12:59 PM
I've replaced the Rx with a FrSky D4R-II to get battery voltage on the Rx. That also means I've got an Orion Rx/Tx (among other JoySway Tx's) for sale :-).
Sep 09, 2015, 06:34 AM
nice rx system!! i found online the must spec for dragonforce a/b/c sail set , maybe i can setup a longer and shorter must in different wind conditions...
Sep 12, 2015, 11:35 PM

Some orion run footage

I know we're waiting for a review, but I took mine out to the lake yesterday. I vaguely recall someone asking for footage of one in heavier weather, so I shot this. Mostly I'm trying to stay close to the camera, so it's not very exciting - other than the waves.

The first time I went to the lake - looking for my maiden sail, as well as hers - I looked at these and decided not to. I'm feeling a lot more confident about her and my abilities. I now rank the Orion among my best RC vehicle purchases.

Orion in heavier seas (6 min 46 sec)
Sep 16, 2015, 05:09 PM
wow !!!orion is a good boat in heavy wind too
Sep 26, 2015, 05:45 AM
FPV noob
I bought one of these for the old man's 69th birthday last week, rigged her up this morning & we had a quick sail on the dam behind the house this arvo.

Got the RTR (?) version that needed the mast assembled & an Rx/Tx. Everything went together well, only drama was fishing the cable from the rudder servo out of the hull.

This is the first RC boat I've had a go at & it went really well! Might even get a second one down the track so we can putt around together.
Sep 26, 2015, 10:09 PM
RTR works, as we know what you mean, but I prefer RTS. And I don't think Joysway sells them any other way.

I've replaced the Rx with a FrSky D4R-II, so I get battery voltage telemetry (useful) and RSSI telemetry (even more so). Which reminds me that I need to figure out how to get the antennae better mounted - I saw a 20 dB drop at one point last time I took her out.
Oct 02, 2015, 07:15 PM
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443827600.938377.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 318.5 KB
Description: usefull mod i made with some plastic blister , it allow to check for water inside and servo status...
Oct 08, 2015, 11:03 PM

Hello all

I was just thinking about using clear tape over the servo access today.
Maybe use the stock stick-on covers for a template.

Tonight, I'm wondering if there is a way to charge up the 4AA cells, without pulling up the tape.?.
Maybe some kind of water resistant socket that could be mounted back in the cockpit.?.

Cheers,
Rich
Oct 08, 2015, 11:16 PM

Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariovw
hi all, i receive my orion yesterday and made my maiden test!!.... all ok but i ask myself why a beautiful wellmade boat like this have a radio that make me cry!!!! can i replace only the radio or i have to replace radio and receiver? what about this?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
That's the radio that I'm going to be using in my new Orion.

I did some reading on the T4A V2 (second version) Mode-2 and some of the sailboat guys in that form, ran into a slight problem with using channel 3 (throttle) to pull in the sails.
They said the Throttle servo didn't have full rotational range (like the other three other channels) . That maybe the firmware in the Tx was limiting the travel on channel 3, for some early model the TX was designed for..

What they did was to modify the Throttle stick (cutting plastic) to give it more range.

Have you heard of this problem?

Thanks,
Rich
Oct 08, 2015, 11:34 PM
Mike! That's a nice mod to the battery tray. The battery holder fits perfectly now.
I have removed the screws holding the tray, to make the rx install easier.
I hope to do some testing with the rx outboard, to make sure the servos act as expected.
The T4A-V2 radio gear should be here on Saturday.

What's the best way to keep the rx dry, in case any water drips in?

Thanks,
Rich
Oct 09, 2015, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee
Tonight, I'm wondering if there is a way to charge up the 4AA cells, without pulling up the tape.?.
Maybe some kind of water resistant socket that could be mounted back in the cockpit.?.

Cheers,
Rich
I'd recommend not doing that, and just pulling the tape. Unless you've got her bone dry after a sail, pulling the hatch covers so the insides can dry/air out seems like a good idea from a maintenance standpoint. I've heard (but not seen) that battery leads get some kind of black corrosion if you store them in damp air like that. Replacing tape is cheaper than replacing batteries...
Oct 09, 2015, 04:59 AM
The T4A-V2 mod for the throttle (sail) is a necessity. The throttle ch has only 85% of the throw of the other 3 ch's. The problem is in the firmware. The T6A-v2 has the same problem. I modify the stops on the drum to allow more travel, 1.5 - 2mm is enough for the stick to hit the frame.

This thread has all the mod info https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1051701

Throttle stick mods:
If you want to move the throttle stick from the left to the right or vice versa (Mode 2 to Mode 1) you can learn to do it here.
Look at post #19 again.
If you want to increase the physical travel of the throttle stick (I need it for the sail control of my sail boats)
Look at message #119. (Note, this is the earlier Gimbal frame construction)

EDIT: For version 2 of this radio the stick gimbal frames are constructed differently than for the earlier versions.
So look at messages on page 20 post #294 and 300 to see how to modify the stops. They can be modified without taking the stick assembly out of the Tx case.
Last edited by KIWINB; Oct 09, 2015 at 05:22 AM.