Jun 06, 2015, 01:08 AM
It's been reported that the Orion uses much of the same rigging as the DF65. Can someone let me know if the Orion and DF65 use the same bowsies?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2015, 02:35 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Yes, if you're talking about these bowsies:
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...4-IMG_8450.jpg
Jun 28, 2015, 10:27 AM
Just bumping this, in hopes that 8elephant just needs reminding about posting the sail report.
Jul 02, 2015, 11:50 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Hahaaaa yeah, I'm itching to go out and sail, but got a really intensive gig so will try to post soon. Hopefully the DFRG65 will be done then too and I can make a comparison
Aug 14, 2015, 03:20 AM
hi all, i receive my orion yesterday and made my maiden test!!.... all ok but i ask myself why a beautiful wellmade boat like this have a radio that make me cry!!!! can i replace only the radio or i have to replace radio and receiver? what about this?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Aug 14, 2015, 01:30 PM
Yup, that one will work.
It even comes with the receiver which you will have to change out.
Aug 14, 2015, 08:00 PM
Joysway makes some Tx's similar to that HK one. I've got one for sale, but it won't work with the Orion Rx. Joysway's protocols aren't consistent :-(.

Deviation on the Walkera Devo supports the Joysway protocol used on the Orion if you install a second rf module. That costs a lot more, but you get a nice, multi-model computerized Tx. I already had one, and switched to a FrSky Rx so I get battery voltage telemetry back. Being able to check the battery voltage by looking at the Tx beats checking it on the dock, and getting alerts while you're sailing is a real win.

I've managed to get a little time on my Orion recently. The more I sail her, the more I'm glad i bought one!
Aug 15, 2015, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meyer View Post
Joysway makes some Tx's similar to that HK one. I've got one for sale, but it won't work with the Orion Rx. Joysway's protocols aren't consistent :-(.

Deviation on the Walkera Devo supports the Joysway protocol used on the Orion if you install a second rf module. That costs a lot more, but you get a nice, multi-model computerized Tx. I already had one, and switched to a FrSky Rx so I get battery voltage telemetry back. Being able to check the battery voltage by looking at the Tx beats checking it on the dock, and getting alerts while you're sailing is a real win.

I've managed to get a little time on my Orion recently. The more I sail her, the more I'm glad i bought one!
yes it seems a great boat, have someone tested in heavy wind? can i change battery in lipo? how many s and mha?
Last edited by Dariovw; Aug 16, 2015 at 12:23 AM.
Aug 16, 2015, 01:58 AM
The Orion shares kit with the DF 65, and people are using 2s LiFE packs with it, usually either the 700 or 1100 Zippy packs from Hobby King. I use the 700 in my Orion. LiFE are generally recommended over LiPos for use this close to water.
Aug 20, 2015, 03:24 PM

Joysway/Ripmax Orion Sailboat

i need better sail !!!!! tips? i noticed that maybe she need a stronger sail servo too
Last edited by Dariovw; Aug 20, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
Aug 20, 2015, 06:53 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariovw View Post
yes it seems a great boat, have someone tested in heavy wind? can i change battery in lipo? how many s and mha?
Also domestically Atomik Rc / Venom sell this great battery:

http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...ceiver-battery
Aug 20, 2015, 06:56 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariovw View Post
i need better sail !!!!! tips? i noticed that maybe she need a stronger sail servo too

The sail servo is the same as in the DF, so it should be plenty "strong" just not super fast, If you contact any of the sailmakers I am sure they will make you a set of sails:

http://www.rg65usa.org/suppliers.html
Aug 21, 2015, 01:46 AM

thank you !!

my first time in sea water
joysway orion (1 min 3 sec)
Last edited by Dariovw; Aug 21, 2015 at 02:06 AM.
Aug 23, 2015, 06:51 PM

can someone post a photo of the interior sail circuit? i made a mess and i don't know how to fix .this is my situation and i don't know how to reassemblyName: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440373954.087204.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 321.2 KB
Description:
Aug 24, 2015, 01:28 PM
Not sure if this will help, but here you go. Taken with all power off, sheets all the way out.