Apr 15, 2015, 05:01 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Iwonder how the Orion stacks up against the Micro Magic?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2015, 05:21 PM
Well, it's a little less than 3 inches shorter than a MM, And about 90 grams heavier. I'm not sure on sail area but the Orion has a longer keel... Tough to say, but I could just about guarantee in light wind the MM would be superior due to the weight, but it would be interesting to see.
Apr 15, 2015, 05:23 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsailor View Post
Well, it's a little less than 3 inches shorter than a MM, And about 90 grams heavier. I'm not sure on sail area but the Orion has a longer keel... Tough to say, but I could just about guarantee in light wind the MM would be superior due to the weight, but it would be interesting to see.
Lol yeah shorter and heavier is not a good mix for RC boats
Apr 16, 2015, 04:17 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Welcome manninge
Glad to be of service. Please let me know your thoughts when you acquire your Orion. I'm hoping to add a few opinions/reviews and videos from as many sailors as possible to the 3rd Post
Apr 16, 2015, 07:13 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
I'd love to see those against each other. The promo vid shows a well handling boat, but around halt metre hull length sailing boats the MM is hard to beat.

Did you sail it yet "8th"?
Apr 16, 2015, 06:23 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward RC View Post
Iwonder how the Orion stacks up against the Micro Magic?
I would say the the Micro Magic should perform better "out of the box" than the Orion. That is of course, if you could get a Micro Magic! I'd love to see them go head to head on water. The Orion rigging could be much lighter and with a few mods, will still be an easier/more affordable way for some to get into RC Sailing. I'm excited to see how the Orion performs against the F612 as well.
Apr 28, 2015, 05:28 AM
Soaring Fanatic!

Binding Boom.

I've updated the 2nd post with my mod for fixing binding issues with the boom. This was caused by the lower mast tube being cut too short.
Apr 30, 2015, 10:07 AM
Can you provide some more details on how you adjusted the 37g servo? Did it whine, or chatter? My understanding is that a little bit of chatter at full throw isn't unusual, and isn't a problem so long as it's not causing a lot of power draw. Whining isn't something I've encountered, and I'd say mine is chattering, not whining.

While on the topic, I notice that the 37g servo arm is rubbing the hull when extended towards it, as a bit of black plastic has rubbed off. Should I worry about that? Possibly these are related issues?
May 01, 2015, 06:21 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Hi Mike, the servo didn't whine (as is typical of many servos) but the chatter was quite noticeable. The way I fixed it was by removing the servo arm, and then pulling the Main Sail transmitter stick all the way back to the "most taught position" of the sails; then I replaced the arm just before the position where chatter occurs and before it hits the hull and screwed it back in. I've noticed that with the joysway stock setups, the servo centering isn't always so precise and some trim adjustment is often needed prior to each outing.

One thing that does cause some additional issues with the servos is using rechargeable batteries in both the transmitter and receiver/boat. This is due to the fact that these consumer friendly boats are designed for 6 Volts you get from standard Alkaline batteries vs the 4.8 from rechargeable ones. To remedy this in the boat, I've decided to switch to LiFe 2s 700mAh batteries as recommended by many folks on the Dragonforce RG65 thread.

Another thing done on the DF RG65 thread I'd like to suggest, is unscrewing all the eye hooks and putting a dab of epoxy or similar waterproof glue on each of the threads before reinstallation. This will keep additional leaks out of the hull. You can also cut a little chunk out of the front most eye hook to enable you to change the jib sail.

I've also discovered that the provided plastic hatch covers don't seal very well; thus the inclusion of vinyl tape. I will try to have some made out of vinyl . Hope this helps,
-8th
Last edited by 8thelephant; May 01, 2015 at 02:57 PM.
May 02, 2015, 06:56 AM
Good info to have.

I noticed the hatch covers don't seal very well myself. In fact, the first time I tried to find a place to sail, I never did, so she stayed in the car. Later that evening, I noticed that one of the hatch covers had vanished. My current theory is that it came off during one of the trips across the lawn, and got mowed that evening. I've been using 50mm electrical tape as hatch covers. While I think it looks better than the plastic covers with vinyl tape, I'll be interested in what you come up with in making your own.
May 02, 2015, 04:53 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Mike, I'm making a file now an will be going to have a bunch of covers made from vinyl. Hopefully they'll be inexpensive enough to share or sell them on RCG/ebay/etc.

I think the holes should have had just a little more lip around them for adhesion. I've been using the clear tape that came with the kit, but it's such a pain to keep removing since I always unplug the batteries when done sailing. My new LiFe 700mAh batts should be here monday and I'll give a full review on those too
May 04, 2015, 02:14 AM
My turn to suggest a mod. I was looking at the battery tray, and noticed that it had two "fins" that the end of the battery pack sits on. I'm not sure if those were designed for some other battery pack or boat, or they are intended to make the battery easier to get out, but that explained why the battery pack didn't want to sit level, and possibly why that hatch cover departed while I wasn't watching it.

I cut them in half, and removed the half towards the battery. The battery now sits level, and is easier to strap down. What's left helps hold the battery in place while you velcro it down, but also make the battery harder to get out. I may cut them off as well.

The 700mah zippy Life pack is enough shorter that it won't reach them. I expect to order some in the next month or so, and will probably wait until then to decide about cutting them off.
May 04, 2015, 04:13 AM
I didn't see any sail report yet, or did I overlook this?
May 07, 2015, 07:14 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Yup, no sail report from me yet as the keel was too long for my intended pond. I've since found deeper waters and will be posting a report as soon as I get to sail.
Last edited by 8thelephant; May 07, 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Jun 02, 2015, 05:01 AM
Boat still sitting on the stand?