Joysway/Ripmax Orion Sailboat - Page 2 - RC Groups
Mar 31, 2015, 06:44 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Velocity would be great, but at the very low speeds that these boats go ( a couple of mph at best) GPS and pitot tubes do not work.

Nav lights would be cool, but you will need to see the sails to trim them.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2015, 11:39 AM
I'm going to spin the telemetry discussion off into a new thread in this forum, and the nav lights one into a thread in the scale sailboats forum, where I think it would be more appropriate and closer to my interests.
Mar 31, 2015, 07:24 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Mike, please share your telemetry findings and lights here too. I'm very curious as to how the data actually looks and wheat kind of lights would be best for this ship. In the aircraft realm, many of us are using the CREE LEDs for their brightness, but that's probably not very scale.
Apr 01, 2015, 08:28 PM
The FrSky GPS module is documented with 0.1m/s accuracy, which is around 0.22mph. Should be fine at a couple of mph.

The point of the pitot tube isn't to measure the speed of the yacht, but the wind speed. Need to figure out how to keep it pointed into the wind, though. Probably integrated with something that reports wind direction.

Finally, for those ordering via the 11main link on the first page, that actually goes through atomik rc, and they only have the red version. And Fedex picked mine up earlier this afternoon.
Apr 01, 2015, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant
Mike, please share your telemetry findings and lights here too.
There's already a telemetry/technology thread here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post31227506
Apr 02, 2015, 08:31 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thanks Mike. A very interesting read.
Atomik believes my ballast is the issue with the fit problems and is sending me a new one. I suspect that this one shrunk considerably more than normal out of the mold making fit for both the nut and keel challenging.
Apr 07, 2015, 09:26 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Found some tubes to stiffen up the stand. Please see the edited 3rd post.
Apr 07, 2015, 03:17 PM
There's been some interesting talk on the lights thread I started in the scale sailboats forum.
Apr 07, 2015, 04:38 PM
Mine arrived today. No problem assembling the keel - went together just fine. The rudder required detaching the connection to the rod to get it into position so I could fit it over the rudder. The other issue was that the tubes for the stand weren't taped into place, and had come loose during shipping. They were wedged against the hull when it came out of the box, but fell down before I could get a picture. Careful examination shows a couple of slight indentations in, but not through, the paint.

My solution to the "not enough tubes" option was even less expensive than yours. When I asked where our old knitting needles were, I was handed a pair of clothes hangers instead, as the needles were in one of the storage sheds. Take off the cardboard tube, cut to length, and insert from the inside. They are just a hair big, but the cardboard gives enough that you can get them in place. A picture to show it actually happened . I think my long term solution is going to be to mount the top of the stands to the wall of models.
Apr 09, 2015, 05:06 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Great solution Mike. So glad to hear you made the plunge. I was going to get some footage of the Orion the other day, but sadly the pond's water level was too low for the keel! And it rained the day before too. I have however, discovered a reservoir that's 20min away and hosts the local sailing club

On another note, I did come up with solution for temporarily attaching the phone to the Joysway controllers for recording and maidened the Binary Cat.
Apr 10, 2015, 08:25 PM
The first place I looked had the same problem you ran into. Looked like it would have been nice, given anther 6' or so of water. The second place didn't have that problem, but instead had a breeze stiff enough to raise a foot of choppy swell. I decided against that for my maiden.

I did get the permanent home set up. Photo attached.

Which means I have 4 spare tube stands to give away should anyone be interested. PM me for details.
Apr 13, 2015, 05:11 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Nice wall mount Mike. You're not going to use the stand at the pond?
I'm constantly adjusting the sails on my stand due to the variable weather as of late. I too have found a few more possibilities for sailing the med-large boats. One is only 11 min. away
Apr 13, 2015, 07:16 PM
I used the top of the stand as part of the wall mount, so wasn't planning on using the stand per se. But I see I need a work stand as well as storage, so I'll be tweaking the wall mount to make using the top on the stand easier, and not giving away the tubes. Not that I expected anyone to really want them.

I found an absolutely lovely place to sail. A sea wall on what's usually the downwind side during the summer that puts the water 2-3 feet below a nice, level grassy area between it and a concrete walkway. And a big sign that says "Private lake. Residents use only."
Apr 14, 2015, 04:24 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Great Mike. I hope you're considered a "resident" at that lake. Now I'm really wishing my house had a pool. Years ago when I was fortunate enough to see the festivities of the Volvo Ocean race; they had a large tub of water with a bunch of Fortune 612s all decked out to match the boats in the race and a fan at the end for constant wind. I believe they were modified kits from Stockmaritime. It was a great intro for people to learn about sailing and try it 1st hand.

BTW: The new ballast arrived from Atomik and it fits as it should
Last edited by 8thelephant; Apr 14, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
Apr 15, 2015, 03:35 PM
Thx for making this, I was still deciding on if I should get this .This helped me decide that I will get the Orion next summer.