Mar 29, 2015, 04:24 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Mini-Review

Joysway/Ripmax Orion Sailboat

This thread is for the Joysway/Ripmax Orion 18.3 in (465mm) Sailboat.

I'll be posting photos and my own review, but welcome everyone's opinion on this ship as well as comparisons to other ships in the same 18" (or thereabouts) class. My purpose for acquiring the Orion is to sail it in a shallow pool nearby which can't accommodate the keel and ballast of my bigger ships and have something easy to transport/leave in the car for spontaneous play

Description from the web:
A perfect introduction to yachting the Joysway Orion is easy to assemble and will have you sailing in no time. Not only does it look great in this bright colour scheme it really performs in the water too.

A high quality 2 channel 2.4GHz radio system comes pre-installed for you, including the 36g sail servo and 9g rudder servo. The hull is moulded from tough plastic as is the keel, rudder. The booms are made using strong lightweight fibreglass tubes and the ballast is cast from a zinc alloy then painted to match. Even the rigging has been done for you! Assembly is a breeze and all that is left for you to do is assemble the stand, attach the keel and ballast weight, install the rudder and add 'AA' batteries.
Features

95% Assembled
Zinc Alloy ballast and plastic keel
Fiberglass pipe mast and booms
Plastic molded boat stand
Rigging and sails are pre-installed

Specification:
Length: 465 mm
Beam: 150 mm
Height: 920 mm
Weight: 950 g

Box contents:
Accessories built-in/included: built-in
Radio: 2,4 GHz 2-Channel
Servos: 1x 37g , 1x 9g

Here's a promo video from Ripmax:
Ripmax - Joysway Orion Yacht (B-JS-8803) (1 min 23 sec)

There's a nice Japanese thread which has some great info on the Orion here:
http://slowfly.exblog.jp/22469137
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 29, 2015 at 06:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2015, 04:28 AM
Soaring Fanatic!

Unboxing

Ok, let's get started.
My basic first impression is that this is a well made ship with a pleasant design for the consumer who is looking to try their hand on something that is more than just a toy or an experienced sailor who wants something a little more transportable than the larger race machines. Everything was sufficiently protected with the foam and it's very obvious which color (Red or Blue) you're getting thanks to the big window; unlike with many of the other Joysway kits where you'd have to look at the little check mark on the box to know. Yes, lots of folks will say "If there's a window, it's a toy" and they are right for the most part accept in this case.... I'll elaborate in the following posts
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 30, 2015 at 06:44 AM.
Mar 29, 2015, 04:32 AM
Soaring Fanatic!

Assembly and Build Quality

I'm Here's where I'll get down to the details of this ship.

Stand: Goes together easily and the foam padding cradles the hull securely, but it needs one more lower tube.
Edit: I found some 12mm tubes at Daiso Japan which fit the stand perfectly. Not my color of choice, but the whole thing will need a coat of paint anyway; to protect the nuts & screws from rusting. Initially, I was going to cut the needles, but the cones have grown on me and the stand will be flipped the other way so they match the profile of the Ballast

Hatches: Strong and they look semi-scale, but I'll be using tape underneath them since the Port Side does pop up a little from time to time. (See description below)

Keel & Ballast: I like the ABS Keel and environmentally friendly Zinc Ballast, but fit was an issue. I've contacted Atomik about this and will give an update here with the results. (See descriptions below)
Update: Atomik sent me a new ballast and it uses the same nut as the mast.

Hull & Winch Rigging: I believe the hull is ABS and it seems durable, though more malleable and not as rigid as the Kyosho Fortune 612. The layout is nice as the rigging and electronics are close to the surface for easy adjustment/maintenance which will prevent a little precipitation from spoiling your outing while it gathers at the bottom. The winch lines connect through a series of 3 eyelets to a metal clasp and through a fixed block. The lines look a little slim to me, but they can easily be swapped out with tougher fishing line if needed. I may also consider swapping the last eyelet for a proper block.

Sail and Booms: The Sails are made of some variant of ripstop and look to be suitable for moderate winds. I'll probably be making a lighter set from mylar as done in the blog listed in the 1st post. In the Report #2 photos, there are bowsies for luff & backstay adjustment as well as Boom Vang, and Sail Tension adjustments which is what makes this more than a mere toy like the Soil/Caribbean which has only Sail Tension sliders.
Booms and mast are fiberglass and heavier than they need to be, but the adjustable weight at the end of the Jib Boom is a welcome feature. As mentioned in the photos below, the mast is very unique (to me anyway) and would be a little tricky to replicate for another sail suit. It will be easier to make the sails themselves removable with hooks and bowsies.

My main concern with the boom is that when changing the weather helm, the boom's swing becomes more stiff. This is due to the boom rotating around the mast as apposed to points proud of it. Edit: After fiddling with the Orion Main Boom a little more, I discovered that the lower carbon tube which slots into the hull was cut too short!!! This caused the main boom bushings to be pressed tightly against the beveled plastic lip on the adjustable mast mount; resulting in restricted boom swing. To remedy this and also stiffen the lower tubes for changes in helm, a 9cm long solid carbon rod was glued in about 1.5mm proud of the lowest tube end. Now, the boom swings as it should and I suppose I could replace the bushings with 8x5mm bearings; but that doesn't seem necessary at the moment. Please see the photo description below for reference.

My last comment about the masts for today, is that like many other joysway boats, there are no spreaders!
Yes, this can easily be fabricated and you could just attach some lines to the mast and anchor them with eye-hooks, but it's just one of those things that looks scale and adds some structure too. Many may argue that these ships shouldn't be sailed in conditions where the stock fiberglass/carbon mast isn't enough; which may be true, but spreaders and their lines can also help you to shed some weight with lighter tubes. If all goes well, the sail report will be coming soon
Last edited by 8thelephant; Apr 28, 2015 at 05:26 AM.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:58 AM

Joyswa Orion Sailboat

Just wanted to say I have the Orion and I am impressed at how well it sails. It is available for $99.99 at https://11main.com/atomikrc/joysway-...boat/p/3506216 . You do have to subscribe.
I will let 8thelephant post his review before I say more.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the pointer. Care to post a review as well? I'm waiting on seeing one before I pull the trigger on this.
Mar 29, 2015, 01:19 PM

Joysway Orion

Since this thread was started by 8th I do not feel it would be appropriate to post my experience with the Orion before him. All I will say right now is it is worth the money and it sails very well.
Mar 29, 2015, 04:49 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
slodown4, thanks for being so respectful. I'll be posting my photos shortly and would appreciate your review in this thread too That's a great deal on 11main.
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 29, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
Mar 29, 2015, 05:45 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Looking forward to some more insight, judging by a few vids that can be found on YT, it should be a pretty capable boat.
Mar 30, 2015, 08:31 AM
Questions about the Rx: First, does it use standard 3-channel servo connectors? I don't plan on replacing it, but I have a bunch of spare Rx's that work with my deviated 6s, so it would be a nice option to have. Looks about the size of the FrSky D4RII, which would give me Rx battery telemetry.

Second: it looks like it's a 4-channel Rx, but I can't quite be sure because there's a wire in the way. Could you say one way or another?

And a newb question: If the either question is yes, I have or could get spare Rx ports. There are a number of interesting devices to plug into these for aircraft (for instance, EagleTree makes some nice data sensors and loggers). Are there any such which might be useful for a sailboat? I can see that an air speed indicator with Telemetry might be interesting, and have to wonder whether or not such are used by people competing in races.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:32 AM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
The Orion is a smaller cousin to the Dragon Force, using a lot of the same design elements ,rig components, receivers, etc

It is interesting that it comes fully rigged in the box though. Great for the True beginner!
Mar 30, 2015, 02:34 PM
New question: There wasn't a reserved post for a sailing report. Are you planning on providing that?

Thanks for the info so far.
Mar 30, 2015, 04:33 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meyer
Questions about the Rx: First, does it use standard 3-channel servo connectors? I don't plan on replacing it, but I have a bunch of spare Rx's that work with my deviated 6s, so it would be a nice option to have. Looks about the size of the FrSky D4RII, which would give me Rx battery telemetry.

Second: it looks like it's a 4-channel Rx, but I can't quite be sure because there's a wire in the way. Could you say one way or another?

And a newb question: If the either question is yes, I have or could get spare Rx ports. There are a number of interesting devices to plug into these for aircraft (for instance, EagleTree makes some nice data sensors and loggers). Are there any such which might be useful for a sailboat? I can see that an air speed indicator with Telemetry might be interesting, and have to wonder whether or not such are used by people competing in races.

Yes, the servo connectors are the usual 3-Pin JR Type. You should be able to fit the smaller Frsky receivers in the hull from what I've seen at Aloft Hobbies. I don't use FrSky yet. Joysway uses the same receivers/transmitters with the boats as with their planes, but I'l have to hook servos up to the extra channels to see if they actually work. I'm not sure about telemetry for sailing though it's a great idea. Most Airspeed Indicators work based on a tube that collects the airflow and passes it to the sensor. A GPS sensor would be a better option, but I'm not sure how well it work with a ships traveling such a small distance compared to the aircraft. BTW: I'd use the 3rd channel for a spinnaker

I'll be adding the sailing report to the 1st Post so readers can skip the details in Posts #2 & # if they wish. In the mean time, please check out the Japanese blog in the 1st post. He's already made mylar sails for his Orion!

Thanks for the info Windward RC. The Orion does resemble the DF in many ways.
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 30, 2015 at 04:42 PM.
Mar 30, 2015, 04:42 PM
+8thelephant, I've looked at that blog a couple of times. I don't read Japanese, and Google translate isn't much help, telling me something about "Monkey extermination"???? Maybe there's a better translation service available?

Thanks,
Mike
Mar 30, 2015, 07:16 PM
The FrSky GPS module has a ground speed accuracy of 0.1m and position of 2.5mCEP. On aircraft, the position is used for independent flight (waypoints or return-to-home), FPV or finding a lost vehicle. Not sure any of that is useful. Velocity, on the other hand, would be really nice to have to answer the question "how fast is it". I figured air speed would be more interesting than ground speed for something wind-powered.

I'm actually more interested in the servo ports as a power source than driving servos - but I really have no idea what I'd do with either. Except for maybe putting a set of nav lights on it, anyway. Is night sailing something people do?
Mar 31, 2015, 05:02 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
@Mike, I was using the Bing translation extension on iOS for translation. I managed to figure out a little about the sails being inadequate and some comparison to the Fortune 612. The Orion has more adjustability out of the box than the F612, but much less sail area. I'm a little bias towards the F612 since it was my very first RC sailboat after learning on a few full size ones.

Seeing both the velocity and distance traveled on these little ships would be great fun
I've been asked many times with the F612 if it had a motor when sailing close hauled. Nav lights would be awesome and people do sail at night in their own pools. And even more so for micro powerboats. Most parks do close down at sunset though. Look at edited post above regarding your question about the receiver.
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 31, 2015 at 07:48 AM.