AZ Chuck's Hissy build-along. - RC Groups
Jan 12, 2002, 06:19 PM
Heli Bouncer

AZ Chuck's Hissy build-along.

I'm doing a beta plan build for AZ Chuck's Hissy Fit and I'd told him I'll do an on-line build with some notes as it goes..

Now I realize that there are a few folks who have already built and flown theirs, so I'm just adding to the test's. I received the plans a couple of weeks ago, and have been bothering Chuck with my odd questions and suggestions since last week. I'm a little behind on the build so here's what I've got so far.......

The first image is of the fuse sides and rear bulkheads with the boom, a fiberglass fishing pole tip left over from some other project. I have to say that this is the first plan built kit in about fifteen years for me. I forgot about all the different sized ribs... A sharp #11 really helps here also
Last edited by Looooeeee!; Feb 26, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2002, 06:21 PM
Heli Bouncer

more..

The plan is pretty good,.. I've done some changes in the leading edge to reinforce the strength by tying the three pieces together with 1/8" carbon rod, the upper spar is getting the same treatment also. I fly from my yard and it is somewhat brushy, so landings can be damaging. This is the LE image
Jan 12, 2002, 11:58 PM
Heli Bouncer
Well the main part of the wing is done, I have to credit Chuck with a design that goes together without relying on too many pins and clamps. In fact I used none, other than my hands and a couple of small weights. I would go as far as saying that this wing could be assembled in your hands after the leading edge and upper spar sub-assemblies were built first. It's really straight which is a first for me as I seem to be able to warp the most simple of structures. I really had to fight my instinct to change the design using "v" LE and TE sections that I use on my own wings The carbon rod on the LE was a bit of overkill that you needn't repeat, as it has to be cut out for the motor any way, although the upper spar reinforcement I feel OK about.

Sorry no pictures tonight as the light in my room is mostly outdoor ambient, and my camera won't work.

Watch this space...

Looee
Jan 13, 2002, 01:33 AM

A builder

Hi Loooeee! You won't regret the cf on le in the brushy landing, or whacking some pole or branch either. I've done that to a Minipleaser for a le like petrified wood. To me a caved in le between ribs is a nuisanace best avoided. And my planes are in trees as much as the birds! Best Regards
Jan 13, 2002, 10:23 AM
Crash Master

LE Reinforcement

I've done everything but step on mine: cartwheels, goalposts, falling boxes of batteries, etc, and built it stock. It doesn't need it, or I would know!

I did put some 'scabs on the TE where they attatch to the cockpit, since I used GWS Picos, and they are shorter than the HS-55's Chuck suggested.
Jan 13, 2002, 01:51 PM
Heli Bouncer
Well here's some more progress, I'm still daunted by lack of morning light in the hobby room so the eastern exsposure computer hutch is why these images are crowded...

I've got a couple of small glitches to mention, one being the tab on the rudder for keying its position on the stab, needs to be moved back from the plan position about 3/4" so the rudder clears the elevator, the other one is the the ply for the controls horns should be 1/32nd... The two rear bulkheads should be flush with the sides at the bottom, (this was my mixup) so the lip for the hatch has somewhere to go .. I inset the bottom sheeting, as I divided the difference in width equally without thinking....

Maybe we can drag Chuck away from his RV to gab a little here.

Gene, did you use Reynolds wrap to cover the fuse, and was it bonded with UHU glue, and do you have some hints on how to use these together.???

Looee
Jan 13, 2002, 01:57 PM
Heli Bouncer
In this second image you can see the thin fishing rod tip I'm using for the boom, weighs nearly nothing. The airframe, as it sits weighs about 3/4 oz. altogether. I'm shooting for an AUW of <5oz.
Jan 13, 2002, 07:14 PM
Crash Master
I covered the cockpit with Water Based Contact Cement, and Renolds Wrap. Kinda stretched it as I went and did it in a few sections around the windsheild. I colored the windshield with a Sharpie when dry. I use a trim iron with a t-shirt sock.

Not sure what you mean about the rudder. I don't have one! Just a Vertical Stabilizer. It sits in the slot at the rear of the H-stab, and extends about 1" in front of the H-stab.

My first fuse was 3/16 spruce. Now it's 2x 1/8" bamboo skewers (still lighter than 3/16 c/f.)
Last edited by Gene Bond; Jan 13, 2002 at 07:39 PM.
Jan 16, 2002, 07:21 PM
Heli Bouncer
More assembly going on with the H-fit. The hatch is finished, I decided to make a razor back, P40ish looking cockpit after finding a blister pack in the waste bin. The fin was Flash Gordon inspired. I made a 1/32 ply bulk head and balsa receiver tube for the 1/4"x3/8" motor boom, as I seem to break things on landings, knowing my luck the bulkhead will bust out...

Reynolds wrap.... I'm not impressed with this covering when used with UHU glue stick. No amount of heat or time with heat seems to bond the wrap tightly enough for me. I ended up using DAP contact cement, the flammable kind, as there seems to be some conspiracy to keep from selling water clean-up, low odor contact cement in my corner of southwestern Oregon. *sigh*
Jan 16, 2002, 07:32 PM
Heli Bouncer

Piccies

Jan 16, 2002, 07:36 PM
Heli Bouncer
I'm suprized Chuck uses 1/8" balsa for the tail surfaces and ailerons, my own choice would have been 3/32", luckily I had some real light 1/8 inch stock. One thing I'd use is diagonal bracing for the tail and control surface costruction, I was a bit heavy handed and cracked the stab diagonally holding it. But at the speed this plane flies, 1/8" stock is not a big deal, and the added thickness is welcome considering the rough field I fly from. I'm using red Ultracoat light for my wing surfaces and horizontal stab and elevator. Oh yes , Gene Bond is correct, it is a vert. stab.., or fin.., not a rudder.

When built to plan there is a gentle dihedral to the wing that adds a bit of grace to the forward profile.. I'm considering just using music wire for all the servo to control horn connections, as I'm well past my weight goal, it's going to be 6+ oz. when finished.( I think I went overboard with the CA) Please use the little applicator he sends with the plans, it's a boon for putting glue in hard to reach places. I see the new IPS twin finding a home in this rig, it is going to look so bitchin' with two heat sinks hanging out the front in the breeze like some weird sci-fi fighter engine. And there is room in the fuse for a six-pak of AAA's nimh's, so the possibility of a EPS 280 or larger looms here also, though they are much bulkier motors.
Jan 16, 2002, 11:02 PM
Crash Master
I like the cockpit, kinds roadster-looking...

Are the servo's gonna clear? Mine stick up a good bit. Had to dremel-out a few spots...

Too bad about the Water-based contact cement. Took me 2 stores, but finally found it at Menard's.

Good luck with the landing gear if you plan on using it in the rough... I wound up moving it in to the fuselage and using wire after snapping c/f a couple times. Once out on the wings and once in the fuselage, just landing in grass. No problems with wire, though.
Jan 19, 2002, 06:59 PM
Heli Bouncer
Hi again

More photo's, it's as close to done as it gets, yet I made some building mistakes yesterday that have messed the esthetics a little,.. DO I CARE.. heck no!!.. as I'm having quite a lot of fun with this little aerobat. It came out at 5.5 oz. , under my estimate, of plus 6. It really floats incredibly well for something that looks like it should be a fast plane. I'm running a DX-A gearbox with one of the cheap replacement wiper brushed motor, 8 AAAA nicad cells, feather reciever and HS 55's.

I'm back from the third flight and I can't contain my joy with this little sky sled. It reminds me of an X250, maybe not as fast but very manueverable and quite adept at inverted flight as well.
I was out doing circuits of our yard inverted and catching some wave lift off the trees along the edge. It doesn't really need 8 cells as all that the increased speed does is make the loops and rolls take up more space. I'm putting in a 6 cell pack tomorrow as it will shed 14 grams and help with the wings generous lift. It will not stall easily, I was able to plop it down without much fush in the grass at my feet,.. wow!

Here are the piccies,.. I'm hoping you don't look too closely. I lost the canopy somewhere on the floor..

Looee
Jan 19, 2002, 07:03 PM
Heli Bouncer
I'm going out and flying this thing untill it's too dark to see, Then I'll talk about the finishing work, especially what not to do..

Best's
Jan 19, 2002, 07:57 PM
Heli Bouncer

It flies!

Where is that tree?...DHOOHH!!