Tamiya's 40EX Yamaha - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 19, 2016, 12:41 PM
Boomer1
Eric
Thank you for the kind words. I am very pleased you found the thread and have provided all the great input!

I am happy I was able to secure one of these little pearls when I did. I have two Yamaha RTW's and have been trying to secure one of their Innovators. If you think the 40EX is rare, try to find an Innovator to buy especially here in the US! Like hen's teeth.

I have been looking for some time now and almost scored one from a fellow in the Netherlands but he was afraid to ship it here to the US.

The Innovator is not a particularly attractive boat, it would just be nice to have one to complete my Tamiya fleet.

Regardless, your boat has turned out to be an example for others and may act to inspire other owners to "refresh" their boat.

Thanks again for the report and pictures. Nice Jag. Back in the day I had a 63 XKE. Traded it shortly after getting it for 62 Corvette. Nuts right. was into muscle cars back then. I wasn't good enough to have the Jag.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; May 19, 2016 at 01:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2016, 08:29 PM
Yosef Sailor
Alright, Now I hate you guys.

I just found one on the good ole interweb and will be picking it up in two weeks while in Germany.

Will most likely store it and bring it back to the US one day.

Thanks for getting me addicted. lol

DW
May 19, 2016, 08:32 PM
Boomer1
Atta boy DW. I know you will bring greatness to yours!
Boomer
May 19, 2016, 08:53 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Atta boy DW. I know you will bring greatness to yours!
Boomer
That's nice for DW, but greatness to what?
Boat, E-type, Corvette ...
May 19, 2016, 09:15 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Back in the day I had a 63 XKE. Traded it shortly after getting it for 62 Corvette. Nuts right. Was into muscle cars back then.
Those are both beautiful cars, can fully see how to sell one for the other if u cant have both.
Nothing like that here on the island, my XJ-S is about the oldest available here ... .
May 24, 2016, 08:24 PM
Yosef Sailor
If all goes well. I will pick my 40ex up next week in Germany. I receive confirmation of shipment yesterday.

Looking forward to a new build project.

DW
May 24, 2016, 08:56 PM
Rock the boat ...
If you are serious in considering to sail this model, you should give some thoughts on how to reduce weight / add boyency, and perhaps modifying the rigging to a top rig (as the original Yamaha 40), in stead of the fractional rigging tamiya made out of it.
Nice score though!
May 24, 2016, 09:44 PM
Boomer1
Interesting suggestions. I've found only three videos of a 40EX sailing.
The first two are on the first page of this thread and the one I just located is posted here. None of the boats were set up properly and in two videos there was little if any wind. So not a lot to be learned.

Eric - what problems did you encounter to come up with your suggestions?

RC Sailing - Yamaha 40EX (2 min 20 sec)
May 24, 2016, 11:14 PM
Rock the boat ...
I can reply in great detail, but lets start simple.
First of all, it depends on you how far you want to replicate the "real" thing.
As I mentioned earlier, Tamiya did a great job on the hull (too good actually), but the rig has not much to do with reality.

Hull:
Tamiya pretty much 1 to 1 copied the hull shape.
However, they did not compensate for the weight of all electronics such as servos and batteries.
Consequently, the hull sinks far too deep in rest, and dives even further forward on heeling.
You can see that on the videos.
The only way you can reduce this, is too fabricate a keel of half the weight (or less), and reaching deeper.

Rigging:
If you check the pics of the real yacht, you see the jib or headsail going all the way to the top, in stead of the model which is only 3/4 up.
You also see the foot of the mainsail slightly longer then the original.
I think, but not sure, Tamiya did this as they experienced scaling problems with balance during sailing, and did the "cheap" solution.
However, especially if you make a new keel, you can balance the boat easily, and use the original shaped larger sails.

I am in KL right now, struggling on my mobile, but can give you some more insights next week.
I really think u can improve the sailing performance of the 40ex a lot, cause out of the box it is pretty crap.
Jun 16, 2016, 12:29 AM
Rock the boat ...
Blue water anchoring.
Still looking for the Tamiya bikini-girls kit .

Last edited by ericjansen; Jun 16, 2016 at 01:37 AM.
Jun 16, 2016, 04:15 AM
Rock the boat ...
Well, it was a bit more of a hassle than throwing everything in the back of a Jeep, but with some careful preparation, it all fitted.

I got some more open water closer to home, but for a first try-out, decided to go to an rowing lake, just to be able to retrieve if needed .

Unfortunately, the wind became too strong during the day, and the one little thing I needed to reef the mainsail further was left home ... as usual ...
Anyway, it was some nice sailing, and a perfect try-out after many years idling.

Perhaps tomorrow, perhaps next week, but I will try to shoot some pic and video as promised.

Jun 16, 2016, 10:05 AM
Boomer1
Eric,
The work you've done on your 40EX sets a standard for what can be done to models like these.
Bet the folks at Jaguar never thought that car would become a "hauler" for sailboats

Really nice work ! Look forward to seeing your next group
of pictures.
Boomer
Jun 16, 2016, 06:23 PM
Yosef Sailor
Eric,

I would also like to say how nice it looks mourned up.

One question from my side.

How did you determine the waterline?

Thanks,
DW
Jun 16, 2016, 06:24 PM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjansen
Blue water anchoring.
Still looking for the Tamiya bikini-girls kit .

That looks very close to real!
Jun 16, 2016, 08:05 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson
That looks very close to real!
Thanks, good eye!
It was rather choppy, but she lays on her first (the lower of the two) waterline, rudder just visible.

See my previous post, scroll down for the last picture:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=44
Hull is empty, just the plastic sub-frame, no servos, packs, or whatsoever.

That is why I say a full sail-able model is farrr to heavy.
Even with so much lead removed, she lay too deep with remote stuff in her belly.