Tamiya's 40EX Yamaha - Page 4 - RC Groups
May 16, 2016, 09:41 PM
Rock the boat ...

Outfitting ..

Made new spreaders after the plastic ones disintegrated during moving.
Re-did all standing rigging, and decided to add all running rigging, including runners, baby-stay, spinnaker sheets, etc.

Most is in place, but can't finish it up as I still need room to make the new wood in the cockpit.
Making sheets out of wood strips right now, pain-in-the-a&* work.

I guess I am 80% there, still many many small things to do ...

to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2016, 04:32 AM
Rock the boat ...

Woodwork

Some try-out on the cockpit decking.

Making panels from strips of thin wood, then cut to fit after making a carton mold for each peace.
Will add black lining, and need to figure out a way to glue it without warping.

Will do the captains seats as well, the plastic looks horrible compared to the real wood.

May 17, 2016, 07:56 AM
Boomer1
The wood decking adds that extra touch of detail that raises the boats appeal significantly. There is a product that is made by Tesa that may work. Their EU headquarters
Is located near the airport in Amsterdam. I have friend that works for them. I can check with him and get back to you shortly.
Boomer

Tesa 2 sided tape #4964
Last edited by Boomer1; May 17, 2016 at 08:45 AM.
May 17, 2016, 08:25 AM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
The wood decking adds that extra touch of detail that raises the boats appeal significantly. There is a product that is made by Tesa that may work. Their EU headquarters
Is located near the airport in Amsterdam. I have friend that works for them. I can check with him and get back to you shortly.
Boomer
You can use tesa 4965. It's a double sided tape that will have no problem affixing the wood to the hull.

Hope this helps.

DW
May 17, 2016, 08:28 AM
Boomer1
Thanks DW! How's that for fast service? How thick is that tape?
Boomer
May 17, 2016, 08:37 AM
Rock the boat ...
Thank you, Tesa man .
I used double sided tape as well, probably not Tesa, but it seem to work.
Pressed the wood carefully on the tape, then piece by piece in the cockpit.
Finished it off with some wood oil for that real life feeling ...

Still need to do the entrance and the seat behind the wheel.
2 more nights, then she is done.

May 17, 2016, 05:48 PM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Thanks DW! How's that for fast service? How thick is that tape?
Boomer
Boomer, 4965 is a 205micron double sided transparent PET that will adhere to just about anything from glass, wood, tiles, plastics etc. It has great weather properties so not to worry about outdoor usage. It will take it.

Sounds like he used a tape already.

The wood decking turned out really nice.

DW
May 17, 2016, 05:49 PM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjansen
Some try-out on the cockpit decking.

Making panels from strips of thin wood, then cut to fit after making a carton mold for each peace.
Will add black lining, and need to figure out a way to glue it without warping.

Will do the captains seats as well, the plastic looks horrible compared to the real wood.

Love the wood decking. What kind of wood was it you used and where did you find it?

Keep posting. It looks great.

DW
May 17, 2016, 07:37 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson
Sounds like he used a tape already.
Sorry, I know Tesa, and should have followed up on your advise if I was not so in a hurry.
I posted the pics of the try-out before dinner, and proceeded straight after dinner, also concluding thin double sided tape will do.
Not sure if my tape will hold up to tropical sun, but we will see .

Quote:
Love the wood decking. What kind of wood was it you used and where did you find it?
I still had wood which I bought 35 years (!) ago in the north of Spain, together with a model of a Catabrian Tuna fisher.

I tape one of them on a string of upside down painters tape, then wood-glue the remaining next to it until I reach the correct width.
After drying, use a carton mould to cut the right shape, add the black lining, use the tape, and carefully line them up before pressing them down.

May 17, 2016, 09:08 PM
Boomer1
Eric
Curious what grit sand paper did you use to prepare the hull and what paint did you use?
Lots rigging details, very cool. I sail all of my boats, so as sharp as all that looks it may not be practical for an active sailor.
For display the more detail the better.
Boomer
May 17, 2016, 09:49 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Eric
Curious what grit sand paper did you use to prepare the hull and what paint did you use?
Lots rigging details, very cool. I sail all of my boats, so as sharp as all that looks it may not be practical for an active sailor.
For display the more detail the better.
Boomer
Yeah, not going to sail this one any more, ripped out all electrics, she is clean inside her belly now.
Still might bring her, and anchor her while I am sailing the RTW.
Must be a nice view, she is laying beautifully on her waterlines now, slightly forward as supposed to be without crew in the cockpit.

Besides of the 'orange' disaster (where I had to resort to 120), I used 600. All wet!
On the paint, just used a big spray bottle 'white' from the shelf of the local shop here, local stuff.
As good as the Tamiya stuff, just be sure you shake well, things are warmed up, and use plenty of layers.
As usual, applying all protection tape took a whole lot more time than the actual spraying.
And don't forget to de-grease everything beforehand ...
May 18, 2016, 01:34 AM
Rock the boat ...

Finished, for now ...

Just need to find some patchup color for the hatch covers, that's about all left for now ... and oh yah, make a new flag .

May 18, 2016, 08:28 AM
Boomer1
Eric,
Really nice work. I am sure the folks that develooed this kit would be proud.
Boomer
May 18, 2016, 05:56 PM
Yosef Sailor
Love the detail work you have done. Keep up the good work.

Now the question is "What's Next"?

All the best from Singapore.
DW
May 18, 2016, 07:42 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Eric,
Really nice work. I am sure the folks that developed this kit would be proud.
Boomer
As mentioned earlier, stumbling on this forum 2 weeks ago has been a great motivation.
And can't deny you Boomer are a big part of that, thanks!

Quote:
Now the question is "What's Next"?
DW
That is easy to answer.
First 10 days well deserved holiday in KL (not too far from you ...), then something wayyyyy bigger then any of these models, both in size , time needed and expenses .
Bought this baby (1989 XJ-S V12) as a new project 2 months ago, and have not spent more than a morning since then.
My other Jag is ready, the model boats will need a break, so time for an engine overhaul, interior exchange, and a million other issues.
Yes, she looks nice on the picture, but it is much worse than that.
Estimated time of Finish, 13 May 2018, counting ....