Tamiya's 40EX Yamaha - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 13, 2015, 04:11 AM
Suspended Account
Flat calm
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2015, 04:15 AM
Suspended Account
That fishing line came in handy , my battery went dead,, I need to put alarm on next time, got a float plane this week, no fishing line lol, may have to go swimming
Apr 13, 2015, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pert
Flat calm
Looks like a Google Earth satellite pic
Apr 21, 2015, 04:50 PM
Boomer1
Thought you guys would appreciate this news. A new in the box 40EX just sold on E-bay: Item number:291433057505 Item Title: Tamiya Rc 1/20 Sail Boat Cruiser Yacht Yanaha 40Ex 56204 1995 Vintage Lot
Winning bid: US $470.71

That is more than it cost new! This is very good news for those of use fortunate enough to own one!
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 22, 2015 at 02:18 PM.
Apr 21, 2015, 10:54 PM
I've had it in my collection since new
Have one of there sailplanes to hope it does as well
Apr 22, 2015, 11:57 AM
Boomer1
It is interesting to see the level of interest that has developed in the last few years for Tamiya's RC sailboats. Suggests a renaissance of sorts for scale looking model sailboats of this type. It is also interesting to see the value buyers are placing on these treasures.

Crizin,
I am confident the new owner of your boat will enjoy his newly acquired classic yacht. Perhaps you could put a note in the box to let him know about this site. Could be a good resource for him.

Anyway congrats on your sale.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 22, 2015 at 02:18 PM.
Apr 23, 2015, 07:15 PM
Suspended Account
guess I did get a good deal on mine, new in box never open for $235. shipping was more lol. but thats what you get for living in the middle on nowhere,
Apr 23, 2015, 07:33 PM
Kimo
Pert if you think that you live in the middle of nowhere try living in Hawaii.
Apr 30, 2015, 01:58 AM
Spotted at our club meeting last weekend. Owned by the youngest member of CMBC. He is all of 10 years young.
Apr 30, 2015, 09:03 AM
Boomer1
Nice to see a youngster getting into sailing! Has good taste to boot! Wonder what other boats the family has?
Boomer
May 10, 2015, 09:00 PM
Boomer1
There is another new in the box 40EX for sale on E-bay - This guys is asking $599.50 plus $80 shipping............... Amazing

If he gets that price, I may have to sell mine

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Cruis...item43dc67fe54

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; May 10, 2016 at 10:05 AM.
May 10, 2016, 01:07 AM
Rock the boat ...
Breathing some air in an old thread ...

As mentioned in the Yamaha RTW thread, I am also reviving my 40EX, which got damaged mostly from various moves around this globe, not so much sailing ...

I am carefully tearing her down, and considering my options what to make out of it.

Was wondering what others do or did to keep theirs visually up to date.

Last night, a warm bath released all stanchions and some other stuff, and I gave her a good rub and polish.
She is not perfect, but came out better than expected.

May 10, 2016, 09:46 AM
Boomer1

40EX Tamiya #56204

Eric
I am in the midst of refinishing/refreshing my 40EX which requires a full hull and deck refinish. With that in mind I began my search for a new set of decals last year. I purchased a set of decals and some deck parts for a Thunder Tiger "look a like" Odyssey in the hope I could make them work if it became necessary.

I visited Tamiya's local web site and was fortune enough to be able to buy a brand new decal set from them. They may still have one or two sets on hand. Worth a look. Here is a link to that site https://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?q=+%2356204+

They still have a few parts listed there as well. If you still have the kit instructions you can look up the part numbers listed to see what they have. I have mine if you don't have yours.

I posted pictures of the two decal sets that show they are similar but not exactly the same. Some of the Odyssey trim parts can be adapted should that become necessary.

You can check with Tamiya over there to see what they might have in the way of left over items. Don't know if they'd post overseas from here? If you strike out there, I can order a set from here and mail them to you. Just let me know.

Now that I have a complete decal set I can properly refinish my boat. I am considering painting the hull band yellow which would work well with the blue and black decals.

I've seen a black hull band that looks good to, but the decals would not work for that color. Or I could just paint it white which will look nice to. Working on it.

Posted pictures of the transoms of both boats - shows just how similar they are. They are similar but not the same. Also posted a few pictures of different paint schemes - just for fun.

It looks like you set your 40EX up with a Genoa set up like you did on your Yamaha. Like to see that one in action.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; May 10, 2016 at 08:28 PM.
May 10, 2016, 08:22 PM
Rock the boat ...
I like the one with the red hull .

Thanks, you gave me some thought for consideration.
I decided not to do half work, but to strip her completely, even if that meant I had to break some stuff.
Most of the plastic parts came off in one piece though, and what broke can be repaired or replaced.
There was quite some stuff broken anyway.

After looking some of your pictures I made up my mind.
I will do a re-built from the deck up, keep the red hull / white underwater ship, and the blue water-lines (which I really like).

Will re-paint the superstructure in white (it is really faded yellow, more visible after removing the decals there).
I will probably just add a small red line under the windows, as I never liked the blue wide decal anyway.

Will do the deck in matt white, or in wood if I can find the right material here.

The only thing I am not yet sure about is the cockpit.
I can remove the decals and re-do it in real wood, or just paint white as the superstructure.

I am also re-doing the mast, as all spreaders were broken during transport.
Decided to make the boat a static display, so will do some extra work on the rigging to look better.

Will make the hull watertight, so I can bring here along the RTW, and throw her in the water on an anchor line, floating to show off....

Finally, I re-glued the keel as it was split partly open.
On the below picture you can see how much lead i removed when I built the boat to get her floating properly on her waterlines (both the RTW and the 40EX are too heavy for the scaled waterlines).

May 16, 2016, 09:30 PM
Rock the boat ...

Progress

Stripped, and from yellow to white ...

Had to paint twice, as the first time I forgot to de-grease the deck, an orange as the result.
On top of that, the wind blew the hull away, which tumbled over, resulting in much more sanding .
Added the keel the second time for some weight.