Tamiya's 40EX Yamaha - Page 2 - RC Groups
Mar 30, 2015, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Pretator
You are truly among the most fortunate of people. A man with three Yamaha RTW's and crews of each one! OMG, and a 40EX to boot! You must have friends in high places for sure!
I am truly impressed!! Words fail me. You are living large for sure
Boomer
Thanks Boomer . If it wasn't for your passion and information on these boats. I wouldnt have them now. . When I found my first one , I came here and found you. U help make my mind on buying my first one,
Thanks for helping me ,and answering any questions I wanted to know about the RTW yamahas , when I first got on to rc forums .
And yes I still have 4 more crew sets brand new,
It's all about scanning the net. They still pop up.
As for the EX. I went in to an old model shop , and in the corner I saw her, I couldn't beleave my eyes, and brought her on the spot .
The shop owner was smiling, and said that yacht has been there for years,
She was meant to be yours. I agreed ha ha
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2015, 11:25 AM
Boomer1
SoloProFan,
As you mentioned, on some models some deck details can or may cause the sheets to get fouled on them. If that were to be the case on the 40EX I'd find a fix for that issue to permit me to retain the scale details.

I have two Micro Magic's in my collection - primarily because they are such good sailing boats but not so much for their realistic appearance. I have a V 32 which it too has a classic design, but lacks any deck details = a great looking and great sailor. Varity is good.

Also have a couple of Seawinds in there too. I posted some pictures you might like of a Seawind and Yamaha at a Regatta in Germany both with lots of scale details & another Yamaha the owner has done some really amazing detail work on. Not sure if sails it or it's more of a display model, but it sure looks like the real thing.

The Yamaha RTW's factory set up can foul the main sail's sheet, but the fix was simple and doesn't hurt the overall appearance of the boat. See the picture below of the modified fairlead that I installed to eliminate the problem.

I did a web search to see if I could find pictures of a Wedico Saudade . Can you confirm the photos are of the Wedico Saudade ? It is a beautiful yacht for sure!

What I found find suggests these yachts were produced back in the 1970's or 1980's and are similar to the Printa and Rubin. This boat was apparently in the same category according the information posted in the article I located.

Here are the spec's I could find on the Wedico Saudade model
Overall length approx 1120 mm .........= 44"
Overall width ......... .ca. 250 mm =9.84"
Height ..................... ... circa 1500 mm =59"
Building Materials ............ GRP (Fiberglass construction) with white gel coat & wood.
Here's some history on these yachts from the article I found on line:
"Description of the original ... These boats won together with the Printa and Rubin in 1973, the Admiral's cup against England, the unofficial world championship of sailors. The original was 14.30 m long (46.9feet) , 4.10 m wide and 2.30 m draft, displacement 12.50 t, mainsail 33,70 m , Genoa I 81,50 m, construction Sparkman & Stephens (S & S) , Huisman Shipyard, Holland."

Love to see pictures of your Wedico Saudade!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 30, 2015 at 11:57 AM.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:36 AM
Boomer1
Pretator
Thanks for the kind words. You have taken diligence to a new high! It takes a great shopper to have been able to locate and secure that many rare treasures . I feel better knowing I am not the only obsessive compulsive in this hobby!!
Boomer
Mar 30, 2015, 04:11 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1

I did a web search to see if I could find pictures of a Wedico Saudade . Can you confirm the photos are of the Wedico Saudade ? It is a beautiful yacht for sure!

What I found find suggests these yachts were produced back in the 1970's or 1980's and are similar to the Printa and Rubin. This boat was apparently in the same category according the information posted in the article I located.

Here are the spec's I could find on the Wedico Saudade model
Overall length approx 1120 mm .........= 44"
Overall width ......... .ca. 250 mm =9.84"
Height ..................... ... circa 1500 mm =59"
Building Materials ............ GRP (Fiberglass construction) with white gel coat & wood.
Here's some history on these yachts from the article I found on line:
"Description of the original ... These boats won together with the Printa and Rubin in 1973, the Admiral's cup against England, the unofficial world championship of sailors. The original was 14.30 m long (46.9feet) , 4.10 m wide and 2.30 m draft, displacement 12.50 t, mainsail 33,70 m , Genoa I 81,50 m, construction Sparkman & Stephens (S & S) , Huisman Shipyard, Holland."

Love to see pictures of your Wedico Saudade!

Boomer

That's the boat I mean indeed. It was also produced under the "Hegi" brand name. I first saw this boat as an older cousin had one in his apartment. It's a great hull shape, with the large fin shaped keel, and beautiful lines and curves. It's also a boat that can sail very well, like it's 1:1 example.

I first owned a copy of the original kit, someone made a mold of the original kit hull I think, and a pretty good one. It did sail well though, and won me a trophy on our modelboat club's sail competition, where it competed against another Saudade, and a Robbe Pirol M-class. Because those were the only sailing boats, there were no classes, just who got the fastest around a course would be the winner.

The boat had some flaws though, and needed a big overhaul, something that I wasn't up to at that age. I decided to save up some money doing jobs during school holiday, and when I sold the copy Saudade, and with some help from my parents, I could get a kit of the boat. So I could build one new. This wasn't easy, but it turned out nice. I sailed it with pleasure, but found that the booms that are present on the deck as decoration, were not fully water resistant, and needed some work, painting, sanding, etc. During that period, I lost interest in RC, and the boat was shelved, with the booms still unmounted, and unpainted. I do intend to get working on it again this summer, when I'll have a week or so "alone time", as the wife, kid and my sister and mother in law have their vacation to a very warm country, and I stay at home, because I can't take heat very well. When it's restored, I will shoot pictures, and maybe even get it sail ready, though that takes some effort too. Besides removing the booms, I also removed part of the electronics, and the battery that powered the boat has died a while back. Plus the winch and servo still have Robbe connectors. I believe I do have a Robbe receiver, but ideally I would want to control the boat with my 9x, just like my prettiest MM, as it allows easy tuning of the winch's endpoints.

Btw, the "motor" you see, is the sail winch. The boat has a string in closed circuit, running over pulleys, and the sheet lines attached to the part between a pulley in the nose, and one near the mast support.

Here are some vids of other people's Saudade RC boats:

Saudade on small lake near Olst (2 min 21 sec)

Saudade April 2013 (9 min 56 sec)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Mar 30, 2015 at 04:23 PM.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:17 PM
Boomer1
Solo
Don't want to get to far off topic, but I do like learning about boats I am unfamiliar with! I will look forward to your posting pictures of your boat when you get it back on the water.

Back on topic, I received a package from Tamiya this afternoon containing a brand new set of 40EX decals. The fellow I got my boat from started to put it together by applying the decals to it. Then for unknown reasons gave up. Good for me in that I was able to buy a new in box kit for a very attractive price Unfortunately the boat sat for several years before I got it resulting in the hull discoloring. This happens on some ABS models. I will be painting it in the next week to bring back to a new fresh appearance before assembly. That means I had to remove all the decals he had installed on the boat, so I can prepare it for painting. Very lucky Tamiya still had some decals in stock!

I do have some questions for 40EX owners. The first question is what servos did you use? I am looking at Futaba's since that is what Tamiya made the servo arms to fit. That way I won't need to adapt another brand to boats servo arms.

Next is what if anything did you do to water proof the main hatch cover. The sponge tape provided by the factory is old and the wrong type foam to seal much of anything.

I shared a few ideas with Pert to try on his boat. Good quality weather stripping is very effective as a water barrier, but needs downward pressure applied to it to create a positive seal. I have used trimmed servo arms to hold covers down, I've used magnets and a bolt arrangement for other projects. I am thinking of incorporating the same kind of O-ring type seal used on Micro Magic's since there is so little room to work with on this boat.

I'd invite others to suggest what they used or think would work for this boat. Anyway, we are off to a good start.

Boomer
Mar 31, 2015, 12:41 AM
I think I'll start a topic about the Saudade, and see if there are more people that still own one. I'll add the links to the pics you found, and when mine is ready for a photoshoot, add my pics as well.

Thread started: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2381790
Last edited by SoloProFan; Mar 31, 2015 at 01:07 AM.
Apr 02, 2015, 02:19 AM
Suspended Account
Boomer this is what I came up with, I put a drip tray in, so if water does get in , it will spill to the sides, not on the goods, it seems to work in the yard, with water hose full blast, waiting on my my buddy to put his zodiac overboard , hint, water temp still cold 70s, that's probly warm to most of you, but that's cold as hell to us , lol,
Apr 02, 2015, 02:16 PM
Boomer1
Pert
I like the lock down devise you made! Looks nice and should do the job!
Thanks
Boomer
Apr 03, 2015, 06:11 AM
Suspended Account
Float test, no wind, I tied some 8lb test line to it, to get it back, lol, wind should pick up later,
Apr 03, 2015, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pert
Boomer this is what I came up with, I put a drip tray in, so if water does get in , it will spill to the sides, not on the goods, it seems to work in the yard, with water hose full blast, waiting on my my buddy to put his zodiac overboard , hint, water temp still cold 70s, that's probly warm to most of you, but that's cold as hell to us , lol,
I wonder what happens with the water when the boat start to lean to one side...

I have had some water ingress problem with my second Micro Magic, and found that even a little bit of water inside the hull will tend to splash around and get drops even on parts that are up high from the bottom.
Apr 03, 2015, 06:06 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
I wonder what happens with the water when the boat start to lean to one side...

I have had some water ingress problem with my second Micro Magic, and found that even a little bit of water inside the hull will tend to splash around and get drops even on parts that are up high from the bottom.
It is always the goal to make our boats as water tight as is possible, common sense suggests we also do everything we can to make our servos, receiver and battery packs as water resistant as possible.

There are water proofing sprays (Corrosion X) that can be applied to the servos, and the old trick of using a balloon to protect your receiver and battery pack. Been using the balloons for years with no failures.

Typically, on a well sealed boat, the small amount of water that finds it's way inside doesn't cause many problems.

On one of my power boats my rudder servo got soaked when a water cooling hose came loose and flooded that area. Took in out, took it apart and then used a can of compressed air to dry it. Then let it sit unassembled over night, worked fine in the morning.

Receivers seem to be the most sensitive to water, so keeping them dry is critical.
Good question Solo.

Boomer

Pert
man that is a long line - boat looks like it's a long way out there!
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 03, 2015 at 06:36 PM.
Apr 04, 2015, 09:27 AM
Suspended Account
its 3000 ft long lol, no water got in, water was over the deck, but bone dry inside, sw winds no good for this spot, the hill and house blocks it, its all over the place, today, we maiden seaplane , no line might have go swiming
Apr 04, 2015, 11:47 AM
Boomer1
Pert
If your boat had developed a problem, swiming that far might have been too late Glad it didn't leak ; 70 degree water is warm by west coast standards. Do you get a lot sharks out there? They like warm water
Good job on the sealing of you boat!

My servos arrived yesterday from Servo City. Using a Futaba S 3010 for the sails and a S 3003 for the rudder. Both the same body size and fit perfectly in the servo tray and the servo arms! The 40EX servo tray is very similar to the tray Tamiya made for the Yamaha RTW. Nicely engineered and it adds strength to the internal frame work of the hull.

Because I have to paint the hull, sanding is necessary to provide a surface the paint will adhere to. Sanding the hull requires some patients, care and a light touch so I don't sand off or down any of the boat's "molded in" details particularly around the hatch locations.

Anyone try the appliance white rattle can paint now available? I tam hinking the high gloos white might be just right for this size boat. I will do a little testing of the paint to see how it looks before moving forward.

Found a couple file pictures showing a couple of custom paint schemes.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 04, 2015 at 04:01 PM.
Apr 05, 2015, 06:27 AM
Boomer
Do you still have your Youpie?
Bill
Apr 05, 2015, 08:51 AM
Boomer1
Bill,
I have never had one. Not sure why you think I have one? I responded to your previous message as well. Since the original contact with the guy it seems the builder has gone out of the business.
Confused
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 05, 2015 at 11:50 AM.