Mar 25, 2015, 11:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fantastik: 58" WS Advanced Trainer - Pics/Video/Plans

So, I wanted to add a 58" ugly stik to my fleet. Found that the air frame alone costs over $80 online, shipping not included! So I decided to build one with DT foam board for < $10.

While drawing out the design, I realized the V stab in original Ugly Stik plan was going to be difficult to draw, cut out, get the edges right etc. So I just went with a simpler V stab that also makes the plane look better and hence the name Fantastik. Went with traditional red/white color scheme but in the hindsight, Fanta orange would have been more appropriate for the name .

The plane is straight forward to build. Only straight cuts I did a few bevel cuts (indicated in the plan) as I like the wing to be clean aerodynamically but those aren't required if you're not keen on reducing wake drag and shouldn't affect the performance much.

The plane flies quite well with Turnigy 2836/950kV motor (in the attached video) but any 70g motor in 950-1100 kV range should be fine. I have 7 servos - 2 ailerons, 2 flaps, 1 elevator, 1 rudder, and 1 for nose wheel. I'd imagine one could go with 5 servos if flaps aren't required.

I have flown the plane with 3S 1800/2200/2650/3300, although additional nose weight (1-2oz) is required with smaller batteries.

Wing is the heart and soul of this plane. Deep chorded, thick airfoil will work the best for slow flights. I went with ClarkY which is almost 1.25" thick for the 10.5" chord I have. I think nicely rounded LE is important for penetration and so is AoA. My experience is slightly negative AoA will help better balance the plane as well as improve penetration.

Finally, doing a quality job on the build with things like packing tape lamination, bulk heads, reinforcement, LEDs etc not only make the airframe last longer, the plane looks beautiful and much more expensive as well!

So let me know if you have any questions and good luck with the build.

Please post your build pics/videos on this thread

Here is the flight video:
Fantastik flight (3 min 10 sec)

**Update 07/2015: Added plans with better wing build details.
Last edited by elewon; Jul 27, 2015 at 11:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2015, 11:52 PM
It's going on my build list for some summer flying. Thank you for sharing.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:12 AM
Thread OP
Sure! I'm happy that you find this useful. Let me know if you have any questions.
Mar 27, 2015, 03:05 PM
Elmer
I just started building one. A 40 size also, 55 inch span. I am using the old Midwest Sweetstick balsa plans that show the glow engine. As this is going to be my first foamboard airplane, I just finished building two different wing sections to test techniques and strength. I was thinking of using flaperons, but having separate flaps would work too.
Elmer.
Mar 27, 2015, 07:11 PM
Thread OP
Nice! Foam board can be quite strong with support at right places! Also this plane is quite floaty and landing without flaps is easy, just that you need a slightly longer runway.
Mar 27, 2015, 08:18 PM
I am about to start building a ugly stick, I ordered two foam cores to make the wings, the wings will be covered with balsa sheet, and the body will be built from MPF, I also plan on adding a little dihedral so I can use it as a 4 ch trainer.

Mike
Apr 29, 2015, 01:00 PM

wing

Hi Elewon

Love your plane! Couple of questions. Do you have an arrow shaft or similar spar in the center section of the wing? Whats the motor mount made of? How much does it weigh. And.....how about the flaps....are they worth the extra trouble.

Thanks! Jim
Apr 30, 2015, 02:59 PM
Thread OP
Jim, thanks for kind words.
The spar is 2 strips of foam board that runs through the span of the wing and a 36" long 3/8" dowel from Walmart as wing joiner that adds strength and is centered where the wing halves are joined. So each half gets ~18" of the dowel.
The motor mount is large paint stir stick or paint stick cut to length indicated in the plan. BTW, I get these sticks free at the local Home Depot, you might want to check yours. Paint stick is also used to create hard points for main LG and the nose wheel.
The plane is on the heavier side - easily over 30oz depending on the battery/motor etc. Mine is ~34oz with 3.3AH 20C battery.
On the flaps, it depends on your expertise handling the landing gear'ed plane. I wasn't very comfortable with landing gear when I built her, was worried about stall speed/wing loading, and wanted lower stall speed specially for landing. I don't think it's a lot of additional effort and every time I land they totally prove their worth, as you can see in the video.
I'd recommend to get flaps if you are going to use it as a trainer but I agree they are not absolute must for advanced level flyers.
May 02, 2015, 05:48 PM
Elmer
OK, I just completed my 40 size Ugly Stick. My last post here was March 27, so it took me about a month on and off. This also included getting the parts etc.

I am getting ready to fly it for the first time tomorrow. Did a wing-less taxi test on Thursday and everything looked good.

I will post a few photos here after tomorrow, once I take them and figure out how to post photos here. I also took photos as the build progressed, so I will probably do a build thread on it. It came out weighing right at 5 lbs with a 4s LiPo, and just a tick nose heavy. I built a flat bottom wing with about 5 degrees of dihedral. If all goes well I may build a symmetrical wing for it next.

I know it sounds heavy, but I can't stand a light plane. No good in the wind. I actually don't think it is any heavier than the one built from balsa. I am starting out with an 870Kv motor, so we will see.

Elmer.
Last edited by emckay7067; May 02, 2015 at 05:56 PM.
May 04, 2015, 01:40 AM
Thread OP
Great! Sounds like it should fly well at Maiden.
What materials did you use? Is it foam? It'd be nice to see a flight video too!
May 04, 2015, 06:31 PM
Elmer
Well I had a great day flying my new Ugly Stick yesterday. Someone took a video and I got a couple of photos to post, so we will see how that goes. The wind was 5 to 6 mph. Not too bad since I haven't flown in 35 years. I did have help trimming it out on the very first flight.

Elmer's awesome scratch built Stik (4 min 18 sec)
Last edited by emckay7067; May 04, 2015 at 06:57 PM.
May 04, 2015, 06:48 PM
Elmer
OK, here are a couple of photos of my Ugly Stick.

54 inch span, flat bottom airfoil, 600 sq in wing area, 870Kv with a 12x7 master airscrew prop. 3 cell for easy flying or 4 cell for more aggressive flying. Weight is 5 pounds.
May 04, 2015, 11:08 PM

nice !!

Very nice, Elmer.....congrats on a really nice looking airplane and first flight. Your colors are sharp as well.
May 06, 2015, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
Just saw the video and it is amazing! Those landings - simply awesome! How do you get it to slow down like that? Did it almost stall during the second landing? Luckily it was really close to the ground. I'm always worried about stall close to ground so don't like to lose too much speed or have flaps to help with lower stall speed.
BTW, it looks really nice - great job with the build! I'm still really impressed with your AUW. Didn't know a foam build could weigh that much and didn't know that much weight could be carried so well by 54" wings.
So much more to learn
Jun 02, 2015, 10:53 AM
Elmer
I used to fly balsa wood built planes and they came out at about the same weight and size and always flew well in the wind. The building techniques were a lot different than with foam. They had to have some mass to be able to stand the pounding vibration of the glow engines. When I built this plane, I used the balsa building techniques that I learned for balsa.

The only problem that I have been having is with the wing. I put a slightly larger motor on it a few weeks ago (Tacon Bigfoot 25) along with a bigger battery, and although it flies better, the wing almost buckled because the spar was foam. I had to go back in (sliced the wing open) and put in a wood spar. I used a couple of yardsticks and spliced them to my plywood dihedral brace. The present wing was built from dollar tree foamboard. I think stronger foamboard needs to be used for the larger planes, anything above a 45 inch span or so.

As for the landings: I cheated a little and had a gyro onboard that I turned on to help with the landings. But hey, anything to make the flying experience better.

Here is the link to my build log with photos. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2411595
Last edited by emckay7067; Jun 02, 2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Add build log link.

Quick Reply