Apr 05, 2015, 09:31 PM
CHC
CHC
Been researching this for quite some time now as I have rescued an Isel-techno 13 inch by something like 10 inch gantry router. It needs electronics, basically and I'll need to get software. That's not cheap; I don't need CAD as I have some drawing programs that save to vector based programs. However, once you Have your .dxf drawing, you have to process it through a CAM program to get your G code to feed the program that actually runs your stepper motors. So, the mechanics are a fairly good piece of the money, but then you're 150 into Mach 3 or Vectric (the cnc controller), then you might use LazyCAM which comes with Mach3, but LazyCAM isn't supported - SO, you'll eventually need a CAM software (another 150). Then, you'll need some kind of CAD to make the drawing.

With the Zenbot, you'll still need the electronic controller (Gecko or Toshiba chip based with Gecko being far preferred) and the software. However, saying all that-this is one that I've been evaluating as well due to it's absolute lowest cost. Problem I'm told is that it's not as rigid a structure as others. Don't know for sure, but the price is decent. The only thing nearing it is the buildyourcnc dot com machines. Note that they bring the price down by not using true linear bearings. Didn't see anything about home and limit switches on the Zenbot, but those are dirt cheap. The Gecko 540 controllers, but he way run about 250-275 something on the net.

So that's about $300 minimum on software and another 300 for controller hardware should be considered on top of the mechanics and another $100 or so for router or more if you want a true spindle. Adds up, doesn't it?

Another option on the software is LinuxCNC, but then you have to figure out Linux; however that doesn't cost money, just time since it's free. Still need a CAM software and CAD.

The upside to the Gecko 4 axis controller is that it could be used for a hot wire cutter and it's not as susceptible to damage as the 6xxx series controllers.

Oh, BTW, got a computer with serial port? ...sigh.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2015, 09:31 AM
Living the dream
Thread OP
I'm not sure which way to go. I don't really have the time to "build" one, but I dont wanna buy one and then have to change and replace stuff out either. Guess I still have some researching ahead of me.

Mike
Apr 13, 2015, 06:21 AM
CHC
CHC
So how about those Chinese 6040 and 6090 routers? They look like they have reasonable mechanics, but I would have some reservations on their electronics and shipping to the US for such a beast.
Apr 15, 2015, 05:55 AM
Shipping started! probably 6-8 weeks to get caught up with pre-orders.
http://www.shapeoko.com/#preorder
Apr 21, 2015, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgnade
I am also very new to this but I ordered this one the fully upgraded one was 1500 including shipping. The small one I believe starts at 800. American company that has answered all of my questions very quickly. https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve
This is the exact one I'm looking at buying. Thinking of using http://www.hsmworks.com/hsmxpress/
for my CAM output using SolidWorks 2015. Then using G-code Sender to send the code to the X-Carve.....at least that should all work in theory...
Oct 18, 2016, 12:24 PM
To update this. I purchased a Shapeoko 3, and it has been working great after I worked through a few bugs.
Oct 18, 2016, 08:50 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Nice!

I'm contemplating building a slightly longer version of this machine using Openbuilds parts.

Steve

Quick Reply