Mar 24, 2015, 04:56 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Joysway/Ripmax Binary Mini Catamaran Sailboat

Here's a little unboxing review of the Joysway Binary Ready-To-Sail mini catamaran. This is the only commercially available cat in this size category I know of, so I took a chance and ordered one (along with an Orion) from Atomik RC. Everything arrived as expected except two little things: 1. The photo on the site shows the Black/Red Hull Version but the Blue one is what was sent. 2. The line connecting the Jib to the main hull tube was absent. I've contacted Atomik regarding this oversight and will update with results. A sailing review will also be posted as time permits, so stay tuned
Last edited by 8thelephant; Apr 12, 2015 at 04:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2015, 04:56 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Let the uboxing begin!
In addition to my comments below, I'd like to add that the overall frame/hull seems well constructed, despite my disdain for the color scheme. During my dry test with nimh batts in both transmitter and hull, I did notice the same kind of twitchiness found in the Soil/Carribbean which has the same 9g servos. A rubber band was used in place of the missing Jib line, but sails swiveled as expected. Lastly, I do like the white frame around the transmitter as it helps to differentiate between the grey of the other Joysway units; though I'll probably be switching it over to my own system. Sail Review up next....
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 26, 2015 at 12:43 AM.
Mar 24, 2015, 04:58 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP

Maiden Sail Report

Apologies for the delay in this update, but I've finally been able to escape work for a little while and toss the Binary into the pool.
No photos or video this time as I had setup the phone on the Orion controller and didn't want to re-bind the receiver yet.

First off, I have to say that this boat is loads of fun!!!
Conditions: Variable wind form 0-12mph. No undercurrent, but some waves from fishing casters and wind of course. intermittent 90˚ changes in wind direction.

From the first launch, I noticed that the Jib was having difficulties swinging correctly on a run, and this was fixed by tightening up the tension (remember, I had to make my own connection) quite a bit. Thereafter, this catamaran was a joy to sail and did very well close hauled, reaching and running. While running, the sails often reverted back to a broad reach position despite the vessel orientation squarely behind the wind; unlike the monohulls which stay on running until you turn into a broad reach. This may be due to my lack of proper sail adjustment though. When a proper point of sail is reached however, the Binary does pull a satisfactory lunge forward and starts to move at a nice pace. Does it beat a monohull of the same overall length? Yes, but not by a huge margin.

As with it's full-scale counterparts; tacking isn't this ship's strong suit and it was very noticeable as it often failed to bring itself about; ending up in irons until wiggling the rudder and adjusting sail tension a bit. Since this is my first multi-hull sailboat, it's going to take a lot more practice to retrain a few of my old monohull-with-keel habits. A Force2-60 would be easier to learn on, but as stated earlier; the pond I'm sailing in is too shallow for it's fins. Which brings me to another little mishap; the fins became stuck on a high spot in the middle of the pond. Apparently, the water level was lower than usual despite raining the day before, and the front fins caught on the concrete! Thankfully, I had the Blackjack 9 with me and it did a spectacular job of sliding underneath the midsection frame and towing it to deeper waters. I'm now debating if those large fins are really necessary.

I did manage to tip it while having the sails too tight on a reach during a gust and also submarined it a couple of times. Again, it's a cat!

Pros: Good performer for it's size with just enough sail area. Great transportability and scale look. Easy sail adjustment. Durable construction.
Hatches are sufficient at keeping moisture out. Box can be reused for transport.

Cons: Graphics leave a little to be desired on the blue version, but stickers are removable. No Starboard or Port structure/tension, which did allow some unhelpful flex. Battery Power wires are exposed under the frame. 3AA battery configuration isn't powerful enough for the main sail. Lines could be more substantial, but that's more a personal preference than a necessity.

Summary:
I took the Binary out two times and had lots of fun on both occasions. The only thing I'd change right now is the battery configuration, which will be swapped for something in the 4.8V range. This has already been tested, and the 9g servos handle it just fine. The stand could use some rubber feet too, which is an easy fix. Atomik did send me some replacement main rigging line for jib tension, but I opted for some of my thinner braided fishline which held up well on the both outings. After a few submersions, there were just a few drops of water in each hull and the rubber plugs at the stern made quick work of removing it. I'm a pleased that the electronics are mounted above the water line towards the roof of the hulls though.

Is this for a beginner? Probably not, unless you're wiling to learn both how to accomplish the various points of sail whilst learning how to sail a catamaran at the same time. After some experience with this model, I'd say it sits right in the middle of a toy and a hobby grade vessel. There are a few upgrades that can be made to make it perform better and more predictably and it is the easiest way to try a cat out if you're looking for a smaller/more economical model to test before committing to something larger like the Force2 60. There will be more updates as chances arise to sail the Binary more, and this one is definitely going to be in my car whenever near a suitable body of water
Last edited by 8thelephant; Apr 16, 2015 at 06:16 PM.
Mar 24, 2015, 04:59 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Reserved3
Mar 24, 2015, 06:25 AM
Very nice.I'm hoping to get one but I'm tapped right now, maybe I'll find a deal on Easter or July 4th.I'm looking forward to reading more of your review until then.

At first I liked the black hull.But on a lake its really hard to keep track of a black boat and I think the blue hull will look nicer with home made white sails anyway.

Steerix is releasing a version of this boat soon to.

http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...tr-rc-sailboat
Mar 24, 2015, 09:23 AM
Size and dimensions - weight - height of mast - sail area - cost = ??????
Mar 24, 2015, 10:25 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Dick L. See the 2nd photo. These are all the dimensions given by Joysway.
Mar 24, 2015, 10:32 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by micromodder
Very nice.I'm hoping to get one but I'm tapped right now, maybe I'll find a deal on Easter or July 4th.I'm looking forward to reading more of your review until then.

At first I liked the black hull.But on a lake its really hard to keep track of a black boat and I think the blue hull will look nicer with home made white sails anyway.

Thanks micro,
I guess I'm lucky since my sailing site has a greyish color, so most colors stand out on it The blue is pretty dark too; thus my preference towards white. A red hull with blue sails might also work as well.
Mar 24, 2015, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant
Dick L. See the 2nd photo. These are all the dimensions given by Joysway.
Sorry - missed that. Thought it was a brochure with color options - so didn't enlarge.

Dick
Mar 24, 2015, 03:16 PM
FYI Steerix is a private label Atomik/ venom brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromodder

Mar 25, 2015, 12:24 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP

Sail Area

Ok, the total sail area is about: 548.25cm
Jib: 204cm Main: 344.25cm

These dimensions are from a sail area calc I found online, but they do not account for the flat top of the main sail. I should also confirm that the sails are indeed a variant of ripstop nylon and are well made with plastic batons glued on to them

Atomik replied to me very quickly after my support ticket was created and told me apologetically that they do not stock rigging parts for these boats. It was suggested that I make my own out of fish line and offered a little discount for the Incomplete model. It's a fare trade since I do have braided fish line from my other boats that will work.
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 25, 2015 at 12:30 AM.
Mar 28, 2015, 08:33 AM

Good as a first sailboat?

I find myself looking at rc sailboats and saying "I bet that would be fun." I like the idea of a catamaran, but have to wonder how well it will be for someone with no sailing experience? I've been flying rc aircraft (planes, helis and multis) for years, but this would be my first hobby-grade surface vehicle.

So, is a catamaran sufficiently different from other bermuda-rigged craft that I should start with something else? Or is there something about this particular craft that would it bad for beginners? And beyond that, how would it be just in general?

And since I'm asking questions about such, is there something special about the radio gear in these, so that I couldn't use one of my spare aircraft Rx's in one, possibly after waterproofing it?
Mar 28, 2015, 09:41 AM
@Mike -
Nice to hear of your interest in radio control sailboat racing. As a racing sailor of beach catamarans from 1977 to 2005 - I always am on the lookout for new sailors with multihull interests. With little to no sailing experience, (and in my personal opinion) I can't recommend this boat. First it is very small, and if you really want to start with a cat, I would recommend a Joysway Force 2-60 which is about 26 inches in length rather than this one at 16 inches. Also a cat is sailed differently than a single hull (monohull) sailboat - especially when tacking (turning) when sailing upwind. Finally, if the boat "should" tip over, it will not right itself like a monohull which has a lead bulb on a keel below the hull.

I probably will have others differ with my recommendation, but also may have a bunch that agree. While it will cost more than this cat - the Dragon Force (RG65 class) 26 inch +/- monohull might be best until you learn and master boat handling and technique.

This monohull is big enough to see across a pond, it will generally right itself if it gets knocked down by a wind gust, the boat directly from the box is considered a "One Design" and can be raced that way since many little adjustments are allowed, but the class doesn't allow any major "go faster" changes if sailing one design. Obviously, it can be upgraded to a full race version of an RG65 if the owner is determined - but I would stay with the one design concept to learn how to sail and race before going off to make major changes.

As noted - cost will be around $175 (a bit more than the tiny multihull) and if you watch for sales or coupons, Tower Hobby and Atomik.com both offer free shipping.

The biggest plus for my recommendation is that the Dragon Force class is growing worldwide and here in the US. There is a particular active group in Texas (Houston and also Dallas areas) that hold races and have a number of guys to help with questions.

Finally - yes, you can use a radio and receiver you already have - although for the cost, a Tx and Rx are included. As I recall, some guys bought the boat sans radio gear, but I don't know if that option is still available.

Before jumping on the purchase of the multihull - take a stroll through the Dragon Force threads on this forum and get familiar with what the class and boat have to offer as a mono-hull. You will have time later to buy a multihull (which I recommend the "bigger" Force 2-60 over this one).

Post any questions you have - someone will be along to offer their opinion.

Cheers and good luck, Dick L.
Mar 28, 2015, 03:06 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
@Mike

First off, I should mention that RC Sailing is a great hobby! I'm very much a Sailplane die-hard, but always dabble with the boats as well as there is a great satisfaction to learning to read the wind (and tide if present) and upgrading both hardware and skills.

I'll have to agree with Dick on this one. Multi-hulls are very different beasts compared to monohulls both in model and full size form. Especially the tipping part!
The Binary is a little better than a toy but not quite to the status of a racing model sailboat and I will have to do some upgrading to bring it up to the same level as some of the entry level monohulls performance wise. The Dragon Force is a great platform to start with if you plan on entering competitions since it already has a class in some areas. However, if you plan sailing just for fun like me, there are tons of options Soon, I'll be reviewing the Joysway Orion which is around 18", is a bit slower than an upgraded dragon force, is easily transported, and has some promising features at little less $$ than the Dragon Force. Another great but pricier option is the Kyosho Fortune 612 which comes in a few variants but all pretty much sail the same. It is relatively fast without upgrades for a 24" hull, is very tough compared to other boats in the same class, and can be upgraded too. As a general rule, longer waterlines/hulls have the potential for greater speeds so the 1 Meter class like the Kyosho Seawind is very popular amongst competition as well as enthusiast sailors. Of course this is at a greater expense but there are more upgrades available for this size boat as well.

Most of the boats with hulls below 24" are more toys than race machines, but having said that; they can be easy on the budget and great fun due to their transportability. Spending all your time setting up the sails and disassembling them afterwards can be a daunting task when you're just starting out, so it's great to have something that will fit in your vehicle without disassembly. Little boats like the Joysway Carribbean/Graupner Soil are great for this and sail simililarly to their big brothers for the most part with a slightly narrower wind envelope.

You can use your own controller and receiver in most of the RC sailboats out there, but be mindful of water-proofing as your hull will take on water at some point while learning or taking risks. I've been coating mine with low viscosity resin and sealing the batteries up in a balloon. BTW, the Joysway receivers won't bind with my Spektrum Gear (unsure about other brands) so I have to use my own to avoid running around with 5 or so transmitters; i.e. one per boat.

Hope this helps,
-8th
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 28, 2015 at 03:36 PM.
Mar 28, 2015, 04:34 PM
Since I'm still getting replies, I'll post an update.

The local hobby shops and AYMA don't know of any clubs, or places to sail locally. I've got pools and a neighbors pond to sail in (though the latter may have plant problems). Since I'm sailing for fun and to learn the skill before attempting larger scale sailboats, this is all fine. So I'm planning on starting with one of the 10" toys. Probably the Joysway Caribbean. My one remaining qualm is that it's two years old, and 'copters in particular have come a long way since then. I've asked on a thread about the possibility of newer models.

My aircraft Tx can handle a lot of the consumer grade aircraft, and some surface vehicles. If I do get a joysway, I'll at least look at adding support for it as well, to get the dual rates someone asked for on one of the joysway threads.

Thanks to you both.

Quick Reply