Jul 16, 2017, 10:58 PM
Cool. Your strut looks awesome. Keep the videos coming.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2017, 12:18 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
the mad scientist is back! good to see you around lee. lookin good so far!
Jul 17, 2017, 12:52 PM
Man that thing is going to be a missile !!!!
Jul 17, 2017, 06:52 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Thanks Guys. Yes Brent, haven't done much serious building the last few years, but that's changing. Got a lot of crap out of the way. Time for some fun.

Here are a few mock up shots. Hope to maiden it in August and take it to Southwest Jets in September. If things go well.

Just rewarding myself with some eye candy for beating my brains out on those nose gear doors last weekend. Helps charge me up for another round.
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Jul 17, 2017 at 07:20 PM.
Jul 17, 2017, 08:20 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumo004 View Post
Man that thing is going to be a missile !!!!
That's my hope. With the incredible fan that Par is building/testing right now, this jet can possibly be a real game changer, a true leap forward in performance level and reliability at that level.

When he is satisfied that it has been fully tested and he has good video and data collected, I'll post it here. But it will also be in his fan thread that for some reason got moved to the general EDF forum from here in the Large EDF forum.

He has already recorded 27lbs at 37k rpm and about 13.5kw , but that was on very low battery charge and cells were dropping into the 3.2v range. It was decided to wait for a lighter spinner to arrive before pushing it farther. Motor temps stayed well below 200 f in a mixed throttle test with 30 second full power bursts.

The fan is going to be amazing. I hope the airframe and my thumbs do it justice.
Jul 17, 2017, 08:28 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthadlee53 View Post
Cool. Your strut looks awesome. Keep the videos coming.
Thanks a bunch. I am also very happy with the results. If I was only planning to build one or two large jets, I would have been better off to just buy and fly the big retracts and struts. But my plan is to focus on big stuff for the foreseeable future, so the extra time spent in development should pay off later.

With some of the more complex parts machined, the quality and serviceability should get to the point of being a lower cost option for others who want to fly the big stuff on a budget.
Jul 17, 2017, 09:08 PM
Boy that looks fast just sitting there!
Very Nice!
Jul 17, 2017, 09:48 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Thanks, bud. I decided to try to get a little done every night instead of just marathon weekend stretches. So I blocked out the leading edge extention to mate up to the main root. The mismatch is caused by leaving out the stock twin fins that I ditched to reduce drag.

The other wing got done about 7 years ago LOL.

I made a root extension from some thin G-10 material, then filled in the wedge with soft balsa soaked with thin ca. I'll finish it out with light weight auto body filler.

BTW, those who know me know that I'm not a meticulous builder. I like to get it done quickly. As long as the outside looks good, I'm good. I'll also choose fast and easy over saving a little weight.
Jul 18, 2017, 12:25 PM
It will be interesting to see how well the inlet works. I know from my experience with the Rocket that putting anything in front of the fan inlet really slows down the air, hurting performance. It looks great! Looks like an F16 vertical.
Jul 18, 2017, 06:21 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Yes, the vertical was "borrowed" from a FW F-16. I'll be building one from balsa, but wanted to get a good look at it before committing to the exact size and shape.

I'm sure that the intake won't be quite as good as a nacelle with direct air flow, but I wanted the thrust down near the center of vertical mass. Also I think that the reduced frontal area will help reduce drag to make up for any losses from the intake.

I've flown several jets with s similar intake from a 2kw 70mm up to a 6kw 100mm, and all have performed well and had no issues from an offset thrust line.

But the proof will be in the pudding as they say.
Jul 19, 2017, 12:51 PM
3d and EDF, some scale
This is going to be very impressive
Jul 19, 2017, 07:11 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
I hope so Kyle. This type of jet is something I've dreamed of since 2008 when I bought a banged up Hot Spot from a frustrated turbine rookie. The original plan was to use 2 100mm fans because the bigger fans were just beginning to be a possibility, and they were slow because of the low efflux. Jim and Scott were working on the XPS, but there were no reasonable SHV esc and batteries were poor.

Electric retracts, inexpensive SHV, better lipos, smart Tx, great servos, and of course a 15kw Dynamax are here. Can't wait.
Jul 19, 2017, 07:16 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP

Canopy

Got the canopy knocked out today. Slow day at work.
Still needs to be fitted to the fuselage, but it's close. Material will be added to the fuselage and the canopy for an exact fit. Then a repaint. But I sprayed some silver on it anyway.
Jul 19, 2017, 07:54 PM
Nice!
Jul 23, 2017, 05:12 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP

Canopy Fitted

It's still basically a primer finish, but the canopy fitting is done and latch is in place.

Next step is the vertical and rudder. It will be removable.

Quick Reply