Thread Tools
Mar 21, 2015, 08:25 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Question

Reccomendations for long range fpv setup for frsky taranis.


Hi everyone, Im new over here in the fpv forum. Iv been around on the edf jet scene for a fair while, but today im very excited as I will soon be receiving a DJI f 450 with Naza M v2 +gps.
I have trawled for ages for any juicy info on a good RX to use with my FRsky taranis for long range fpv use. (My eventual intention)I have not had any luck though. could any of you please point me in the right direction. im also very interested in learning about aerial mods etc, for the taranis.
I look forward to your responses!
Many thanks! Buck
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2015, 09:38 AM
Registered User
raptor357's Avatar
Well whats the plan? long range or a few miles? If you plan on long range you'll need UHF. I have tested the range of the FRsky X8R and new L9R and the range for 2.4Ghz is way more than i had thought. 2.5 miles with plenty of signal left, think i was 70% RSSI with 5.8Ghz video. I have a DragonLink coming soon for my UHF. You just need to pick what your plans are for you quad and get the equipment needed. We can help but need to know what you have in mind to steer you in the right direction.
Mar 21, 2015, 05:57 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Hi raptor357, Many thanks for your helpful response. Im very pleased to hear your results were so favorable with the frsky kit. thats probably well and truly far enough for my needs. Atleast for a while. so the 5.8ghz video link would be overkill with this setup? whats a good alternative, for good performance on budget?
Mar 21, 2015, 07:08 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor357
Well whats the plan? long range or a few miles? If you plan on long range you'll need UHF. I have tested the range of the FRsky X8R and new L9R and the range for 2.4Ghz is way more than i had thought. 2.5 miles with plenty of signal left, think i was 70% RSSI with 5.8Ghz video. I have a DragonLink coming soon for my UHF. You just need to pick what your plans are for you quad and get the equipment needed. We can help but need to know what you have in mind to steer you in the right direction.
Damn. I am only getting about a mile out of DTF UHF deluxe one watt module before I get so many lost packets I am forced to turn around.
Mar 21, 2015, 07:09 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by darealbuckrogers
Hi raptor357, Many thanks for your helpful response. Im very pleased to hear your results were so favorable with the frsky kit. thats probably well and truly far enough for my needs. Atleast for a while. so the 5.8ghz video link would be overkill with this setup? whats a good alternative, for good performance on budget?
5.8 is bottom of the barrel in terms of range and pennetration but with 2.4ghz control its all you can use. When properly setup and flown carefully you can still get good range in great conditions.

I flew almost half a mile with a cheap boscam 200mw 5.8 and crappy antenna's
Mar 21, 2015, 07:31 PM
Team Warpsquad
Mr.Aaron's Avatar
5.8 is capable some good antennas and not a noise environment. . With the new PB coming I'm curious to see what I can get out in the desert.
Mar 22, 2015, 05:31 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappomatt
Damn. I am only getting about a mile out of DTF UHF deluxe one watt module before I get so many lost packets I am forced to turn around.
Id love to know why your getting so much less range than raptor357. Id guess its a number of factors at work eh! maybe a lot of its down to location.
Mar 22, 2015, 05:35 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappomatt
5.8 is bottom of the barrel in terms of range and pennetration but with 2.4ghz control its all you can use. When properly setup and flown carefully you can still get good range in great conditions.

I flew almost half a mile with a cheap boscam 200mw 5.8 and crappy antenna's
So Im stuck with 5.8 if im usng my taranis. looks like iv got some research to do. lets hope my local area isnt "dirty" with rf!

Thanks for your very helpful contribution Slappomatt.
Mar 22, 2015, 05:45 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Aaron
5.8 is capable some good antennas and not a noise environment. . With the new PB coming I'm curious to see what I can get out in the desert.
Its nice to see your confidence in 5.8ghz MR.Aaron. so I take it,being a high frequency its "line of sight" n thats why the deserts so good yeah? Im in rural Wiltshire in the UK. Its pretty undulating terrain with woodlands. is that likely to affect this kind of system badly? or is rf more of a problem? whats the new PB? sorry for all the questions!! cheers!!
Feb 25, 2016, 10:54 AM
Registered User
10+ km is perfectly achievable with the right 5.8/2.4 components. proper antenna setup is everything. granted, my experience is with fixed wing where ideal antenna placement is easier to achieve. also, LOS is a must. at these ranges a single building/tree/hill between you and the model and both video and signal goes from good to failsafe in a matter of seconds.

this old thread has lots of good info

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1433619


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools