Anyone out there still flying a cl-i-max wasp? - RC Groups
Jun 03, 2004, 03:10 PM

Anyone out there still flying a cl-i-max wasp?

Just a bit curious here, as I haven't seen anything about this little plane in a while. I take mine to every flying session these days, and it consistently seems to log the most airtime . So far, my favored setup has been IPS-A on 3S etec with 8060RS prop. I just tried the 9050HD prop the other night, and didn't like it. I threw the 8060 back on, but now it seems like after 10+ hours, the little IPS is finally giving up. I think this little gem deserves a heart transplant to aid her ailing health, so we'll fit an EPS100-A and see what happens. Anyone care to chime in here about your wasp?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2004, 09:23 PM

My Wasp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Smith
Just a bit curious here, as I haven't seen anything about this little plane in a while. I take mine to every flying session these days, and it consistently seems to log the most airtime . So far, my favored setup has been IPS-A on 3S etec with 8060RS prop. I just tried the 9050HD prop the other night, and didn't like it. I threw the 8060 back on, but now it seems like after 10+ hours, the little IPS is finally giving up. I think this little gem deserves a heart transplant to aid her ailing health, so we'll fit an EPS100-A and see what happens. Anyone care to chime in here about your wasp?
I recently built the kit myself. My second balsa build and my first experience with Solite. What a fun build. Great kit and easy to put together. I flew it with a IPSD, but wanted more UMPH so I went brushless! I added a PSJ 300 and WAHOOO! What a fun bird. I'm really impressed with this little beauty!

Here are some pictures.
The glamour shot...

Here is a shot of her nose

Here is my mount I put together.
Jun 05, 2004, 10:59 PM
I really like the mounting system you devised for the PJS! It looks like it was kitted that way. I'm glad to see others enjoying this plane, and I think if I have to retire mine, I'll be replacing it with a wasp max. BTW, when I flew mine at the club field last night, our hometown heli hotshot was impressed with it. He didn't believe I was flying on a tiger moth motor until he saw it up close! Then again, I'm propped for about 2.5 amps now, so I don't know how long I'll have this power level, but it sure is a fun plane. Best $40 I've spent in this hobby.
Jun 05, 2004, 11:18 PM
Been There! Done That!
I run mine with a Nippy 808 and a 2S1P 1500HD Kokam pack... Mine is featured on the Climax website... www.cl-i-max.com or with flight pics included on my website!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Jun 05, 2004, 11:56 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
Beaux;

Looks like it belongs there! Great looking bird.
What did you think of Solite?
I love it, except for trying to get the backing off.
Did you cover your mount also or color it.
Which prop did you end up with?

Thanks and congrats!
Kirby
Jun 06, 2004, 12:52 AM
Been There! Done That!
Beaux,
Forgot to say great looking bird! It would be interesting to compare the Nippy powered one to yours. I went with two tone to help tell which way is up but as fast as it flys and rolls it is sometimes a problem if I let it get too far away so I try to keep it in my face at all times
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Jun 06, 2004, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys.
I didn't have too much problem with the Solite. Nice material...but making the backing release too some coaxing. I thought about covering the fuse but decided to just spray paint. Too much of a challenge for this Solie newbie. Currently running the 10 x 4.7 but I'm thinking about trying the 9 x 7 and see what sort off difference it makes. Still need to make my wire harness so I can test amp draw...better safe then sorry.

Boomer...Yeah, I'm wishing I had used a different color for the bottom of the wing. I have to keep it close as well because it soooo easy to loose orientation. That's ok, I like to keepem close anyway.
Jun 07, 2004, 08:25 AM
RCAPA #14
Hey Beaux,

Sweet little model. What is AUW?... You mentioned the IPSD, what gear and prop were you using with it and How much more "umph" did you get by switching to the PJS?? I maidened my little Shocky this morning with an IPSD "c gearing" and I wasnt that happy with it... I look forward to going to the next indoor meet with you!

Myron
Jun 07, 2004, 08:54 AM
Hey Myron,
The AUW with the IPSD-"A" was 8.8 ounces. It hardly wanted to climb. Was real sluggish. I tried 10 x 4.7 and a 10 x 8, and had the best luck with the 10 x 8.

With the PSJ, the AUW is 9.1 (with my TP 1320) I'm using a 10 x 4.7 and I'm getting strong 45 degree climb outs. I don't field like I'm merely keeping the Wasp in the air, I'm actually flying!

This is my first aileron plane so I'm really enjoying the new flight dynamics!
Jun 07, 2004, 09:13 AM
Just for a bit of comparison here, my wasp AUW is 7.8 oz with the IPS and 3s etec 700 onboard. I've got it overpropped on a 9x7 right now (2.5a) but the performance is phenominal (until the brushes give up). Here's an old picture. She looks the same, if a little worse for wear, these days.
Jun 07, 2004, 09:16 AM
RCAPA #14
Hey Beaux,

I hear the "A" ratio is not the most desireable of the batch.. I have great luck with the "B" with 1047 props on the sub 10oz models... Hover is no problem on 3 cells flying my little 75% 3DX bluecore job that weighs 8.5oz..

Myron
Jun 07, 2004, 09:56 AM
Leave it to me to pick the looser of the bunch...

I also only have 2 cell packs and not planning on heading that route for a while. Oh well, I wanted an excuse to go brushless anyway.