SynerJ based wings for ALES and general soaring - RC Groups
Mar 19, 2015, 10:15 PM
G_T
G_T
Discussion

SynerJ based wings for ALES and general soaring

Hello folks,

I released the SynerJ series last year, from work I did in 2013 for a plane design for the J WC. Unfortunately due to mold issues the plane didn't make it to the last WC. Oh well...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2255186 - SynerJ and the F3J wing design, for those who are interested.

Relatively shortly after that, to honor another request, I designed a wing for ALES based off SynerJ. Due to project delays for the person who requested the wing, it also hasn't flown yet. So, I'm tired of waiting; time to release it.

There are two variants of the smaller ALES and soaring wing. One variant is straight SynerJ based and it should have the smoothest flight characteristics in nasty air. The other variant has the tips transition to somewhat thinner Synergy for a tiny bit more performance. Which version to use is up to you. Both should provide excellent performance.

As usual for designs I release, free to use, commercial or otherwise. I would like to hear about projects using it or modified versions of it so that I have data for any future work. I'd also like to get credit when it is used.

Gerald Taylor
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2015, 12:29 PM
Graham Kirkland

My Version

I finally finished and maidened a 2.5m electric glider using this wing.
The cores were cnc cut using 6 panels per side and the dihedral breaks were chosen to coincide with panel breaks.
The wing was bagged with 64g textreme and has a fairly light-weight tube spar which doubles up as the joiner box.

The fuselage is from a 2m Taser which had its boom cut off and lengthened.
Tails are solid balsa made from some super light weight balsa that I had left over from my early DLG building days.

This version uses 6 of the KST DS245H servos in the wing and 2 JR DS245 for the tails. Motor is a Hobyking SK3 2836 swinging a 9x6 prop and uses a Hyperion 1100mAhr 3S battery. Climb is vigorous but not vertical.

All up weight is 830g. That is significantly more than Gerald designed for (650g if I am not mistaken). However, I am happy with the weight. At 650g it would be flying backwards as soon as a breeze came up. Unfortunately, the fuselage is now full and there is no space for any ballast.

Today was either calm or too windy to fly. The calm periods had no lift so I have yet to see it go up without the motor. The short time I have had it in the air don't allow me to draw very many conclusions about flying qualities. Handling seems good with easy circling and pretty decent sink rate. It is very responsive and coming from a DLG background, suits my flying style.

Graham
Aug 07, 2015, 09:20 PM
Good job! Look forward to hearing more about how it flies.
How did the KST servos work out?
Aug 08, 2015, 02:18 AM
Graham Kirkland
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadwm
Good job! Look forward to hearing more about how it flies.
How did the KST servos work out?
I like them a lot. They are a little noisy but no slop, precise and accurate. I would recommend them to all.
Aug 08, 2015, 08:41 AM
Cumulus Altimus
Great looking plane,specialy the lines on that wing. Will the wing be available later commercially?
Ben
Aug 08, 2015, 08:53 AM
AZ Outback
2M Sprites come out at 900g's + so 2.5M at your weight looks very good, hope you can post more flight information.

The Best

Robert
Aug 08, 2015, 11:00 AM
Graham Kirkland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBEN
Great looking plane,specialy the lines on that wing. Will the wing be available later commercially?
Ben
You can thank Gerald for the great looking wing.

Having been a DLG only guy for years, I have very little experience with these larger gliders. I have basically nothing to compare it with, so my opnions won't amount to much at present. Having said that, I like the way it flies - slows down nicely for good float and is very responsive.

I fly mainly on the beach, so don't like to land it normally as that gets sand in the drive. All my landings are hand catches and they are easy.

I need to get it into the hands of some of our more experienced F3J pilots to get some more informed feedback. I will be meeting up with some of them for a long weekend of slope flying in Sep, so it will have to wait until then.

I have no plans to make it commercially available at present, but depending on local feedback, I may change my mind.

Graham
Aug 08, 2015, 11:02 AM
Graham Kirkland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson
2M Sprites come out at 900g's + so 2.5M at your weight looks very good, hope you can post more flight information.

The Best

Robert
Bear in mind that this is electric only so it does not have to carry the weight of a beefy spar structure. It is generally easier to get the weight down with bagged or solid core moulded relative to hollow core.

Graham
Aug 15, 2015, 01:56 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Be nice to see this foil on a 3.5m wing with 17.5 AR or maybe even 18.5AR
Aug 15, 2015, 11:41 PM
Cumulus Altimus
Love to have that wing, but have no capabelity of cutting and building one,,,ahhhhhhh
Ben
Aug 17, 2015, 05:24 PM
G_T
G_T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
Be nice to see this foil on a 3.5m wing with 17.5 AR or maybe even 18.5AR
That's close enough to the larger SynerJ wing design that you could just scale it in span and chord to get what you want. Keep the foil stations the same relative locations, and keep the same washout values at the stations. Scale it accurately.

You can find all the details on the larger one in the SynerJ thread linked to in the first post of this thread. So far only bagged versions have been made but they show a lot of promise. The molds are not completed for the couple of molded projects which I know about. There may be others that I don't know about. Note, you don't have to make these wings light. However, they won't require as much weight to be able to penetrate so the sink rate can benefit by making them lighter than competing planes.

For the case of planes with a motor, lighter means less power plant required which should make it cheaper, as a fringe benefit.

Gerald
Sep 02, 2015, 12:48 PM
There's Something in the Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T
That's close enough to the larger SynerJ wing design that you could just scale it in span and chord to get what you want. Keep the foil stations the same relative locations, and keep the same washout values at the stations. Scale it accurately.

Gerald
Gerald,

Your PM buffer is full :-)

Thanks for your efforts with the SynerJ airfoils and wings. I'm planning on building a foam-core based version of the F3J wing and was also looking for a 2M wing/airfoils. I found the reference wing and airfoils for the F3J wing and the above reference wing for an ALES 2.5M version of the wing. My approach to creating a 2M wing was to take the 2.5M wing and accurately scale the wing to 2M keeping the airfoil locations/designations accordingly. My plan in building the F3J and 2M wings is to make them 2-piece wings instead of 3-piece wings.

What I cannot find are the airfoil dat files for the ALES 2.5 wing. Since I have the SynerJ-70, SynerJ-50, SynerJ-40, and SynerJ-30 airfoils, I can generate the +2 variants but I'm missing the SynerJ-68 and SynerJ-59 airfoils. Can you provide me a link to where these airfoils are published?

Is the recommended flap hinge line at 75% on these airfoils?

Again, thanks for your efforts with these airfoils and wings.

One final question, what went wrong with the original molds for the SynerJ F3J wing?

Thanks in advance,
John
Sep 02, 2015, 12:59 PM
There's Something in the Air
OK, I'm still learning XFLR5 and just learned that I can export the airfoil files from XFLR5.

Still want to say thanks for your efforts.

Take care,
John
Sep 03, 2015, 10:50 AM
G_T
G_T
Hingeline is at 70% not 75%. Just FYI.

Original mold issues were a case of bad machining by a person who was not used to machining molds. One attempt not all mold panels were produced which rendered the effort useless. These are not the attempts which have been detailed in builds on rcgroups. I think for the one published more recently, the person simply ran out of time due to work. But currently I am out of the loop on all attempts to build SynerJ.

Yep, my inbox tends to stay full. I get messages from lots of people all around the world. I've been too busy this past month to deal with them effectively.

Gerald
Sep 04, 2015, 03:58 PM
G_T
G_T
Any more recent flight impressions / reports?

Gerald