Mar 19, 2015, 09:02 PM
Central Florida
Thread OP
Question

salvage

Found an old hand made wooden car that was on it's way to the trash. Looking to restore and improve it. Any suggestions on what to use for dissolving old wood glue. The improved version will have a boat-tail rear. Hope nobody minds a post here, if so I'll move it. Just hated to see somebody's work rot in a dump.

Craig

And I Know Tom, as soon as the camera and computer are in the same place there will be pictures.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2015, 07:43 AM
Cool!!!!
Mar 21, 2015, 12:55 AM
any clue why type of glue it is? Hide glue, that old style white stuff (elmers), even some old epoxy (has been around since just after WWII). All of those will take different techniques. I would start with some heat (hair dryer) and see if that loosens some of it.
Foo
Mar 22, 2015, 07:59 PM
Central Florida
Thread OP
Foo, you were dead on target. A hair dryer on high for ten minutes did the trick. That is after I convinced the wife I wasn't going to burn up her dryer.
Apr 22, 2015, 10:03 PM
Taking care of the pond.
I think it's cool, don't move it.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:01 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
ditto, don't move, please :-)
Apr 27, 2015, 10:12 AM
I agree, besides it is a "BOAT TAIL" isn't it ????????? and the wheels are side bumpers !!!!!
Apr 29, 2015, 05:35 AM
no such thing as to many boats
Very cool project keep it here and keep the updates coming .
Apr 29, 2015, 07:01 AM
Nice improvemnet already!
Apr 29, 2015, 09:53 PM
Central Florida
Thread OP
Somewhere in my youth I thought I read an article of a car that the pipes going through the hood into the fenders glowed red at night. Can't find anything on it but it sounds cool so that's what I'm going for. Three pipes on each side and I'll keep the wood exhaust pipe underneath. Was stumped until I saw the spring laying on a counter at the hobby shop. When the led comes on the spring disappears but looks right during day.
Apr 30, 2015, 08:01 AM
really nice!

Back in the 70's Chrysler Oz advertised the Aussie Charger RT with footage of 265 cu triple webered motor with glowing Extractors.....they sold more two door Chargers than any other model in the line up.....
Nov 27, 2015, 07:15 AM
Looks great.
In response to you camera . Does the camera have a manual setting?
You may be able to manipulate the settings so the quality is what you want.
Nov 28, 2015, 12:00 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Very cool. Reminiscent of the Cord and Auburn autos of the 30's. That was style.

Quick Reply