Spektrum Airware TX Feature Matrix - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by DaddyBigas, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 19, 2015, 07:17 PM
Need less hobbies, more toys
Discussion

Spektrum Airware TX Feature Matrix

UPDATE 2015-10-06: Now that Spektrum has an official feature matrix I don't think there is a need for me to perform further updates to my feature matrix. Therefore I recommend you see the official matrix at the following location:

Spektrum's official transmitter feature matrix: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Content/M...Comparison.pdf

Hello folks,

The other day I decided I needed to know the differences between the Spektrum DX6 G2, DX7 G2, DX9, and DX18 G2. I discovered it is no easy task to get a solid grasp of the differences between the transmitters in the current Spektrum Airware lineup. There are a lot of different features to consider. So I put together a feature matrix (comparison) to help me visualize the differences. I think others may find it useful so I decided to share it. Please comment if there are incorrect items or omissions.

Click here for the current feature matrix.

Current document version: 2.17 / 2015-04-28

Thanks to those who provided answers to my questions whilst compiling this data. Special thanks to freechip for all the answers and suggestions!
Last edited by DaddyBigas; Oct 06, 2015 at 05:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2015, 09:52 PM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
This is fantastic! Thank you kind sir.

-Shane
Mar 19, 2015, 10:48 PM
Very good job.
A couple things to add.
DX6-7 No Vibe alert. 9-18 Vibe Yes.
DX6-7 No internal charger. 9-18 built in charger Yes.
Mar 20, 2015, 05:31 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Vibration Alert is listed
Mar 20, 2015, 06:29 AM
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Several suggestions have been made and a few mistakes caught too. I will keep updating the document as these improvements trickle in.
Mar 20, 2015, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal
Very good job.
A couple things to add.
DX6-7 No Vibe alert. 9-18 Vibe Yes.
DX6-7 No internal charger. 9-18 built in charger Yes.
As Freechip pointed out I do have vibe in the "Alerts" section.

The charger bit you mention may be significant. I did not realize that. Are you saying if you put a LiPo or Li-Ion pack in a DX6 or DX7 that it uses an external charger rather than just a 12 volt power supply because there is no internal charging circuitry like in the DX9 and DX18? That is a big difference and one I want to include if confirmed.
Mar 20, 2015, 07:09 AM
The DX6 & 7 do not have the internal charger built in the radio, the DX7 comes with the pack that has the charger built in the pack itself that black plastic case holds a normal 2,000mAh LiIon pack and charger inside....

An owner can use any battery with the Dx6 & 7 however since there is NO INTERNAL charger they need a charger for those pack which Spek/HH sell the cable to use....
Mar 20, 2015, 07:12 AM
The DX9 and DX18 have 3 position rates and expo (triple rates).

Does the DX7 have dual or triple rates?
Does the DX6 have dual or triple rates?
Mar 20, 2015, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
The DX6 & 7 do not have the internal charger built in the radio, the DX7 comes with the pack that has the charger built in the pack itself that black plastic case holds a normal 2,000mAh LiIon pack and charger inside....

An owner can use any battery with the Dx6 & 7 however since there is NO INTERNAL charger they need a charger for those pack which Spek/HH sell the cable to use....
OK, thanks aerocal and Freechip. I need to be careful how I put that in the matrix because if I put, for example, the DX7 has no built-in charger it may imply to a user that the Li-Ion pack must be removed to be charged, which is not the case.

Perhaps I should add a new line in the battery section called battery types supported and values would be

DX6: 4 AA, 2S Li-Ion, 2S LiPo, 2S LiFe
DX7: 4 AA, 2S Li-Ion, 2S LiPo, 2S LiFe
DX9: 2S Li-Ion, 2S LiPo, 2S LiFe
DX18: 2S Li-Ion, 2S LiPo, 2S LiFe

Or should I just leave it as-is?
Mar 20, 2015, 07:20 AM
The DX9 & 18 have triple rates only when you pick a 3 position switch, if you pick a 2 position switch they only have Dual Rates.

Don't have TX to confirm BUT pretty certain this applies to the 6 & 7 as well.
Mar 20, 2015, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
The DX9 & 18 have triple rates only when you pick a 3 position switch, if you pick a 2 position switch they only have Dual Rates.

Don't have TX to confirm BUT pretty certain this applies to the 6 & 7 as well.
That makes sense. Thanks.
Mar 20, 2015, 07:24 AM
You could say something like 9 & 18 have internal charging system while the 7 comes standard with the LiIon pack with built in charger.

Inside this battery http://www.horizonhobby.com/2000mah-...A-dx6-spma9602
is this battery http://www.horizonhobby.com/2000mah-...9-spmb2000litx

Both are compatible with all Spek radios, the issue with using it in the 6 & 7 is lack of the charger inside the radio and when I say ALL I mean the radios in your Feature Matrix
Mar 20, 2015, 07:30 AM
Something dangerous to do!
Great job! I really like the template you used too. What is origin mixing?
Mar 20, 2015, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1234
Great job! I really like the template you used too. What is origin mixing?
Thanks Yeti. I think it means a mix can be based on raw stick input. But don't quote me on that. I don't have a DX18 so I can't really explore it.
Mar 20, 2015, 08:06 AM
Uses Raw Stick Input as the mix input so subtrim.trim, rates and all that stuff doesn't come into play.

Quick Reply