Building a Website from Scratch :D - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by JulietKiloMike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 19, 2015, 04:48 PM
Build Log

Building a Website from Scratch :D

More stuff has been added to my scratch-built website! Now I've got a products page that links to my eBay listings

http://jkmrcsolutions.com/Products.php
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2015, 10:37 PM
Hi JKM, If you PM me I can Help you Design your Website. My prices are very Cheap, and i can provide examples of work. That being said regardless heres a few tips

1. Your banners are Way to big. The moment i opened the website everything was massive and popping out. My eyes had a heart attack.

2. Everything being supersized set aside. It is very plain. there is nothing there that makes me want to stay and see what you have to offer. Your website should engage potential customers and keep them there for as long as possible. 90% of the time customers who browse longer then 45 seconds end up making a purchase. right now i would say about 5% of the people who visit that site will stay longer then 5 sec. and even less then that will stay long enough to be interested in a product.

3. Research color Pallets. Your logo should stand out not blend it. Since it matched everything else on the page it just blends in and will be scrolled past with no note of the company, and brand recognition is Key in online business.

4. consider switching to something like Wordpress. there are hundreds of Free Beautiful themes that make web design that much easier, simply change color schemes, and add you text. It makes it easy to link you ebay and amazon stores to your website allowing them to purchase from your amazon and ebay stores directly from your site without having to be redirected. as well Search Engine Optimization with wordpress is 1000x easier and more efficient.

These should get you headed in the right direction! if you are interested in hiring someone to help you with the website feel free to pm me and we can work something out. Just let me know what you can afford and i can work with you on a price!
Mar 19, 2015, 11:15 PM
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate your offer of assistance but this website is really just a fun way for me to figure out HTML and CSS...I've gone from knowing nothing about CSS to having a functional website in just a few weeks, so I'm pretty happy about that! Now I'm working on adding some PHP and maybe building an SQL database for fun.

You are right! My banners are huuuuuge. I have the entire top chunk (banner and nav bar) in a header php file, so I could pretty easily scale it down and add some margins...maybe I'll do that! Thanks for the tip

Right now everything is supersized / plain because there really isn't much to the website. In reality, it's 5 links to eBay listings, so if I made everything tiny it would look even weirder than it already is (believe it or not, I think that might actually be possible...lol). But, I definitely agree that making things a bit smaller would make it look much more sophisticated; I'll look into some nice color themes for the website (other than the green/white theme that it uses right now).

I've used wordpress before (I'm a webmaster for my school's newspaper), and while the plugins offer nice functionality, I quite honestly find it a pain to work with. Since my website is mostly about learning and understanding how things work (like coding a popup menu in HTML, importing new fonts, etc), I think I'll stick with the scratch-building route for now (no CSS frameworks like Bootstrap, etc.) I've also done some work with pre-made templates (like this website for my webcomic: http://www.daweeklycomic.com/), but it wasn't as much fun as building from scratch

To be honest, I don't intend to turn my website into a serious eCommerce business. An SSL certificate clocks in just under $100, but that's what I'd be making in profit in a year if I'm lucky. It's too bad, as I would have enjoyed embedding a payment API from Stripe...maybe I'll do some "add to cart" buttons and route orders through Paypal or something. "JKM RC Solutions" is what I do for fun, on the side, and any of the money I make just gets put into buying a better soldering iron, a new pair of flush cutters, etc (my current workbench is an old door propped across two sawhorses). I'm paying a grand total of $0.70/mo for hosting and $12.99/yr for the domain registration from GoDaddy...so yeah, I'm a cheapskate (I'm a high school senior, so I don't really have an income other than my paychecks that I get for cartooning).

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your advice!
-John
Mar 20, 2015, 02:25 AM
Nice! That's how I started...learning to code from scratch. Looking good man! Keep at it.

Once quick suggestion, if you want to keep more of the money from your sales: just use a PayPal button on your site instead of going through eBay, that way you don't have to pay the eBay listing and selling fee. That's what I do on my site: no fancy shopping carts (even though I manage a huge ecommerce website and done tons of ecommerce sites).

I sell plastic protectors for videos transmitters that I 3D print. Check out my quick little store that uses PayPal buttons, which was super easy to embed:

http://flitereport.com/store

Take care and keep on keepin' on dude!
Mar 20, 2015, 04:02 PM
Thanks jjmelo, I've actually seen your transmitter protectors on RCG before...good stuff! If I get into miniquads and start bashing things around, I'll be sure to pick one up.

I've used Paypal "add to cart" buttons before on my comics website: http://www.daweeklycomic.com/Store_Info.php

The only problem is that you need a business account to use them effectively, and Paypal only allows one business account per person...and I already have a business account for my comic business :/ Maybe I'll add some paypal buttons once I get my accounts sorted out Thanks for the suggestion!

On an unrelated note, there were some other pilots on the teen chit-chat thread looking for an RCG member with a 3D printer who might be willing to help them out...is it OK if I send them a link to your profile?

Thanks!
-John
Mar 25, 2015, 12:06 PM
Hi Guys,
I tweaked some stuff with the website, and would be interested to hear your feedback. It's still a little super-sized, and I need to work in some more colors, but I think it's not as bad as it used to be...

http://jkmrcsolutions.com

-John
Last edited by JulietKiloMike; Mar 25, 2015 at 03:36 PM.
Mar 25, 2015, 01:12 PM
I think you broke it because the site does not load at all.

**NeverMind, You forgot the s at the end of solutions in your last post.**
Add an s to the end to load the site lols
Mar 25, 2015, 01:15 PM
Starting to get there. your connectors products page the last item does not line up with the rest. and none of your contact links work for contacting you. but it is starting to get there slowly but surely. site loads faster than it did before too!
Mar 25, 2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks for checking, Ken!

Nice catch on the site link...whoops!

Right now the last product on the connectors product grid doesn't line up because it doesn't yet have an image. There's some formatting weirdness with my nav_module_grid class when images aren't inside the grid modules--I'll try to get that sorted out.

The contact links are all "mailto:sales@jkmrcsolutions.com" etc...so they might not open if you don't have a mail client on your computer.

Thanks for the feedback!

-John
Mar 26, 2015, 03:54 PM
Sure! Send them my info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietKiloMike
Thanks jjmelo, I've actually seen your transmitter protectors on RCG before...good stuff! If I get into miniquads and start bashing things around, I'll be sure to pick one up.

I've used Paypal "add to cart" buttons before on my comics website: http://www.daweeklycomic.com/Store_Info.php

The only problem is that you need a business account to use them effectively, and Paypal only allows one business account per person...and I already have a business account for my comic business :/ Maybe I'll add some paypal buttons once I get my accounts sorted out Thanks for the suggestion!

On an unrelated note, there were some other pilots on the teen chit-chat thread looking for an RCG member with a 3D printer who might be willing to help them out...is it OK if I send them a link to your profile?

Thanks!
-John
Mar 27, 2015, 12:32 AM
Thanks jjmelo! I've posted your RCG handle and website on the thread...I think they'll drop you a line if they see it and are still interested in 3D printing stuff.

Say, do you know of any places where I could get some plywood laser-cut at an affordable price? I have a product idea, and while I think I can prototype on my school's laser cutter, I don't think they would look kindly upon me starting full-scale production in the school workshop
Mar 27, 2015, 12:33 AM
This one's for Ken, too: I'm thinking of re-styling the website a little, which do you prefer?
Mar 27, 2015, 11:23 PM
Thats a tough choice, im leaning towards the second one, however the first one from a psychological standpoint is better.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:35 PM
Hmmm, ok. I'm not sure what you mean by psychological, but I've made some edits to reflect the first style in the other pages: http://jkmrcsolutions.com/product_pages/00001.php

I think it works a little better on the product pages...what about you?
Mar 28, 2015, 10:52 AM
yeah i like it. and by psychological i mean how a persons mind will react subconsciously the first time it sees the website.