May 16, 2015, 04:18 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
I wanted to do that to a 60 inch but everybody tells me they fly like crap. I guess it doesn't matter now that I can get a real 48 inch ,
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2015, 04:23 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
I wanted to do that to a 60 inch but everybody tells me they fly like crap. I guess it doesn't matter now that I can get a real 48 inch ,
If i remember correctly (I may be wrong its been a while)... the JW started at a 54" and morphed into what pat and joe were happy with and the 48/54/60 all shared the same Fuse.

I may be wrong. Either way i did that with quite a few 60" JW's and chopped them down, i got as narrow as 40". Thats the most narrow I ever went before just getting a new one and id keep the cut down ones for DS combat lol
May 16, 2015, 05:32 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
I cut a 60 down to 54 and hated it...ymmv
Latest blog entry: Photos
May 17, 2015, 12:56 AM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Looking to sell the JW 48X from this build log to someone local. PM me if interested!
May 18, 2015, 02:17 AM
Sold, thank you all who inquired! I will periodically have RTF planes for sale so keep an eye out.
Jun 19, 2015, 11:07 PM
I am building a 48" JW with a slightly different planform. This one is a stretched 36" JW. It can only hold a single spar so it is geared more for light wind. I think it can come in under 14 oz. it won't be a speed demon like the 48X but I hope it does well on the front and in a tight groove.

The wing and fuselage are both 1.3lb EPP. It has a single top spar. There is no trailing edge stock. I will use a custom AAA 4-cell battery with Hitec 65MG servos and an AR400 Spektrum RX. The fuselage is extra narrow to save weight and drag while the nose is a little longer to reduce nose lead requirements.

I intend to finish the plane with colored packing tape and with minimal fiber tape. I made a Depron fin to shave weight. The elevons will be balsa wood.

Some pictures:
Jun 21, 2015, 11:26 PM
Made someone progress on the light 48" prototype. The wing received strapping tape along the spar top and bottom with a strip also along the leading edge. I covered the wing with colored packing tape to save weight. To get the tape to stick to the EPP, I sprayed the foam with Loctite spray adhesive. I ironed down the tape for good measure. Both linkages are made up and one elevon is installed. The Depron tail is covered with colored packing tape only.

I am trying out the steel Sullivan control horns in this build. The thinking is that the larger footprint will help eliminate slop from forming after countless crashes when the balsa gets crushed. To create a weak link in the drive train, I am using nylon clevises.

The wing only has a top spar. With the fiber tape reinforcement, it is strong in the positive G direction but a little flexible in the negative G direction. It should rip a nice lap.
Jun 22, 2015, 05:20 PM
Ready to fly now. Needs a couple of stripes on one elevon. It took 1/2 oz of lead in the nose so I now wish I would have used a bigger battery. Total AUW is 13.25 oz. should fly in almost no wind. Planning to maiden tomorrow at Kanan.
Last edited by Aerogance; Jun 23, 2015 at 02:14 AM.
Jun 22, 2015, 11:56 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Nice Aaron.
Jun 23, 2015, 12:55 AM
Awww...Just stumbled on this thread. Back into flying after a too long lay off. I had a very early JW that I learned to DS with 15 or so years ago. Great airplane. Might have to get me another one!
Jun 23, 2015, 11:11 PM
Had a successful maiden today at Kanan. Wayne was there and got some time on the sticks too. Flew almost 2 hours both frontside and DS. The plane needed a little tail weight and a after a couple of quick tuning flights I had the rates dialed in.

The light plane is easy to launch and is surprisingly quick on the front. The roll rate is quick but not outrageous like the Mini JW so precision aerobatics are a cakewalk.

The DS performance was outstanding. The plane has the characteristic JW stick feel. The low wing loading allows for tight paper up turns and crazy last second saves. Inverted laps are easy as well.

I am very happy with the flight performance. It is exactly what I hoped for.
Jun 24, 2015, 10:18 PM
Got back up to Kanan again today and flew with Wayne. Wind was going off at 16-21mph and the backside was working. We dialed in Wayne's Kaze 55 and then spent the rest of the afternoon working the crap out of the new JW 48 light prototype. Wayne actually managed to get his first real DS laps in on the JW and we were both ecstatic. Wayne is a great pilot so I anticipate great things from him. He is also an exceptional builder and is very good at covering foam. He has all the requirements to be a great DS junky!

As for the 48 UL prototype, it flew so well that I didn't want to land. It has that trademark JW stick feel and sound but in a smaller package. Because the plane is intended for light builds, it can be thought of as the little brother to the awesome JW60 UL. I plan to offer the kit on the website once I get the building instructions completed.
Jun 25, 2015, 01:29 PM
Love red and yeĺlow, the only colours that really stand out in all conditions, especially if you're wearing orange or yellow driving type shades
Jun 25, 2015, 09:45 PM

JW 48 UL on display at Marty's Hobbies in Thousand Oaks

I have the new ultralight JW48 prototype on display at Marty's Hobbies in Thousand Oaks until Monday. Stop by if you are in the area and check it out. Let me know what you think!
Jun 26, 2015, 12:26 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Are the instructions done yet?

-= Dave

Quick Reply