Mar 18, 2015, 12:44 PM
Gearbest can suck it.
Thread OP
Question

Gearbest wants photos of my Passport, Drivers license and Credit Card?

I placed an order with Gearbest and paid by Paypal with a confirmed address. (I've been a Paypal member for 5-6 years with tens of thousands of dollars in transactions world wide).
I get a message from Gearbest requesting photos of my Passport, Drivers license and Credit card to process my order to "prevent credit card fraud".

Anyone else think this is just a tad suspicious?
Obviously I requested my order to be cancelled with Gearbest and with Paypal.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2015, 12:48 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Not uncommon for overseas transactions,,, Hobbyking was doing that for a while on CC orders years ago. If you're not comfortable with it,, move to a different vendor
Mar 18, 2015, 12:50 PM
Gearbest can suck it.
Thread OP
And people comply? Unbelievable. And we wonder why identity theft is so common.
Mar 18, 2015, 12:53 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Haha,,
The used to call that Credit Card Fraud,,, now it's Identity Theft, No one stole my Identity,, I'm still me,, Friggin CC co.s.

many like you say no way... I wouldn't either to save $3,, I'm just saying it's not a new thing
Mar 18, 2015, 01:04 PM
Gearbest can suck it.
Thread OP
I paid by Paypal, not with a credit card so no need to verify my credit card information, right? Maybe I'm a bit gun shy after having my CC information stolen twice. So I'm not going to help the thieves out my just offering up my personal information that they do NOT need to process my order.
Mar 18, 2015, 01:04 PM
AMA 754
Not an unusual request for straight credit card transactions, but highly unusual for a PayPal transaction. Generally, a confirmed address means that PayPal's Seller Protection is in effect.
Mar 18, 2015, 01:06 PM
Gearbest can suck it.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRCnut
Not an unusual request for straight credit card transactions, but highly unusual for a PayPal transaction. Generally, a confirmed address means that PayPal's Seller Protection is in effect.
Exactly! Are people just offering up photos of their Passports, Drivers license and Credit cards, to a Chinese vendor??? WOW!
Mar 18, 2015, 01:10 PM
Gearbest can suck it.
Thread OP
Anyone on here want to post all that information to this thread? If not, why not?
Mar 19, 2015, 03:15 AM
The whole concept behind PP is to insulate your personal financial info (bank, CC \ Debit, what-ever) from the other party - buyer or seller.

So if someone is asking for the info you stated, then I say... they're scammers!!

As such you should report them to PP, local police, and/or any other consumer protection agency(s) in your area - then run the F away as fast as you can.

Oh BTW... what happens if you don't have a passport?? - I haven't had one for several decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
I paid by Paypal, not with a credit card so no need to verify my credit card information, right? Maybe I'm a bit gun shy after having my CC information stolen twice. So I'm not going to help the thieves out my just offering up my personal information that they do NOT need to process my order.
Mar 19, 2015, 07:46 AM
Gearbest can suck it.
Thread OP
I canceled my order and requested a refund and get this, they only want to offer store credit. So my Paypal payment isn't acceptable to purchase products, but it's ok to sit in their bank account with "credit" to their store?
Mar 19, 2015, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
I canceled my order and requested a refund and get this, they only want to offer store credit. So my Paypal payment isn't acceptable to purchase products, but it's ok to sit in their bank account with "credit" to their store?
Actually you should have reported them to Paypal initially, and never gave them any money. Your verified address was good enough. If they want to make their own rules, then they shouldn't be using Paypal, and from what I understand PP is not a real big fan of that kind of stuff.
Mar 19, 2015, 09:39 AM
Why you type so loud?
Gearbest are crooks. They take your money, then either don't ship or ship a partial shipment. They will hold your money for as long as they can to exceed any time limitation by Paypal to file a claim. They'll tell you to "please wait longer" or try to extort your personal or banking information. Gearbest does sell products, but their main business is extortion and identity harvesting.
Mar 19, 2015, 02:51 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
My own Daughter doesn't have that kind of my information, and I love her like a well,like a Daughter !

There is Zero chance that anyone will get all that information collectively from me, on ANY purchase. Just nothing I need that badly, that I can't find a replacement for.
Mar 19, 2015, 03:56 PM
Master Deg. of "In Training"
Hopefully you pay with debit/credit card via paypal. If you did then call the number on the back of the card and give them your story and tell the you'd like a refund from Gearbest as they'er not shipping your order.

Good luck and thanks for this info. I will never order form them and advise others likewise.
Mar 19, 2015, 06:09 PM
If you paid with existing balance - you can and should file a PP dispute immediately!!

If you paid with bank transfer - contact your bank & file a... "Written Statement of Unauthorized Debit /Credit (ACH)" - that's what my bank calls it, and yes I had to do it to a fleabay scammer.

I received an e-mail from PP that said... You recently attempted to transfer funds from your bank account to your PayPal account. - Your bank has declined the funds transfer.

It went on to state: We were unable to cover your payment to [email protected] with funds from your PayPal balance. While this transaction had already been flagged as unauthorized, our external processor could not be prevented from completing the representment process.

Your Back-up Funding Source will not be charged to make up the funds. This could mean that your PayPal account balance will go negative [it did], but this is merely an interim accounting step that will be corrected when we have completed our review of this transaction. For current information on your account balance and transaction history, please login to your PayPal account.

If you paid with a CC\debit card - then follow TWCO's advice as he's right on the money.

Thank you for the heads up on the maggot in question.

You have also prompted me to start a thread on the subject of PP & how to protect yourself.
The advice has been given to me by: US bank, Wells Fargo & WaMu (now Chase).

Have stuff to do right now, will do it later this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twco
Hopefully you pay with debit/credit card via paypal. If you did then call the number on the back of the card and give them your story and tell the you'd like a refund from Gearbest as they'er not shipping your order.

Good luck and thanks for this info. I will never order form them and advise others likewise.

Quick Reply