This thread is privately moderated by Kmot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 17, 2015, 06:09 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Discussion

Durafly Das Ugly Stik

My newest r/c aircraft is the Ugly Stik foamy from Durafly aka Hobby King. What intrigued me about this model was the faux glow engine. It looked very authentic in the promo photos.

Being a long time model airplane engine enthusiast I wanted to see one for myself. Hobby King had a 1/2 Off Sale for a week and so I got the Ugly Stik at half price.

Well, the fake engine is pretty sweet looking. Even in person, from just a few feet away it is indistinguishable from a genuine glow engine.

The 'kit' is absurdly easy to assemble. All appendages simply use screws to attach them.

The wood Durafly propeller is one of the most beautifully finished props I have seen. The glossy clear coating is truly stunning.

I embellished mine slightly with the sharks teeth and eye.
Last edited by Kmot; May 09, 2015 at 11:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2015, 09:47 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
I just un-boxed mine. It looks good. I am hoping to buy several of the faux engines for some old timer projects.
Mar 17, 2015, 11:57 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Yeah, I looked for it as a spare part and it was back ordered. I think a lot of guys have the same idea!
Mar 18, 2015, 12:50 AM
Looks good! Just have to add some fuel stains and you'll be lookin' like the real thing
Mar 18, 2015, 10:42 AM
Waste Nothing
I like the pix posted here . I have one of these in the mail that should arrive in about a week or so . Can't wait to get this one up in the air . I have always loved the STIK series . I have one of these twinned with 3536's , one kit still in the box and another one that I bash around . If this one flies as nice as it does in the video , I will enjoy getting away with murder with this one too ! There isn't much that I haven't done with my little 'Hot Rod' Sticks .
Mar 18, 2015, 12:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietKiloMike
Looks good! Just have to add some fuel stains and you'll be lookin' like the real thing
Hah! I had actually been thinking about airbrushing some burnt castor oil looking stains on the muffler!
Mar 28, 2015, 01:24 AM
Waste Nothing
Assembled mine this afternoon . Maiden is tomorrow morning . Can't wait .

Love the engine on this one . This was my first PNF model and I can't believe the quality of the model . I beefed up the LG area with a ply plate as suggested by the HK owners comments . I also VelCro'd on one of my Walkera DV-04 camcorders to do some FPV clips . As a 'retro thing' I installed my old Futaba ATTACK4 AM rig into this one . AM isn't used around here any more anyway . If this plane flies as nice as it does in the promo video , I will try to get away with as much as I have with my other Sticks I have owned . This one makes #6 I have owned . My all time fave to have FUN with besides a Scar Cat .
Mar 29, 2015, 01:15 AM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
I haven't seen the note about the ply plate. What's the recommended thickness?
Mar 29, 2015, 01:30 AM
Waste Nothing
David : LG ply plate is 1/8th inch thickness . HK membership postings on the plane's specs / video advertisement page as you scroll down to find this area . Expand out the comments and cruise thru the works of them to find out everything that you need to know .

The maiden went off quite well this morning ! Keep in mind that this is a relatively light ship and will tend to float a bit . GREAT power for the aerobatics tested so far . Need a bit of down elevator blip in the inverted part of a roll , for example . I flew her in steady 15MPH winds gusting to 25MPH with a cross wind at the runway . She handled it quite well for a smaller bird .

I put a Walkera DV-04 camcorder ($40 US) on it to take video clips . I will move the camera to one of the wings as it picks up lines on the screen from the prop spinning . Strobe effect . I shot some decent clips and now have to figure out how to post them in my blog . RickC
Mar 29, 2015, 11:04 AM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Congrats on your successful maiden flight!

Mine crashed on its third flight on maiden day. First two flights were flawless. Third flight on a new battery, it felt like a radio brownout. Motor stopped, plane nosed down and went in. Took me thirty minutes of walking through 3' tall weeds in an uneven plowed field to find it. Busted prop, wrinkled nose. What I later discovered was the ESC failed. That's what brought her down. Talking with a buddy of mine, he told me he knew of several HK 30A ESC's failing in the past couple of months. Probably a bad batch of them got made. HK customer service said they would send me another ESC.

Durafly Das Ugly Stik Maiden Flight (4 min 18 sec)
Mar 30, 2015, 04:03 PM
Let the future tell the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot

Mine crashed on its third flight on maiden day.

Third flight on a new battery, it felt like a radio brownout.

What I later discovered was the ESC failed. That's what brought her down.
I've never seen such an engine. I just know a "real glow engine" wouldn't have failed you like that. just-kidding. Glad to see damage wasn't too bad.

So was it radio failure or motor? ... seems like you should have been able to glide-her-in ... dead stick.
Mar 30, 2015, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I've never seen such an engine. I just know a "real glow engine" wouldn't have failed you like that. just-kidding. Glad to see damage wasn't too bad.

So was it radio failure or motor? ... seems like you should have been able to glide-her-in ... dead stick.
Sounds like he was using an ESC with a built in BEC...when the ESC let out the magic smoke, he lost radio control
May 09, 2015, 10:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
I think you are correct JKM.
May 09, 2015, 11:06 PM
Interesting! So my theory might have had some merit...has the NTSB released their final report yet?

It's been a while since I've been on this thread. I hope everything's back in flying order by now!
May 09, 2015, 11:08 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Yes, it is flying again. HK generously sent me a new (different) 30A ESC and gave me some "points" in my account for my troubles.

So it is flying just fine, only has a few wrinkles on the nose (adds character, lol).

Quick Reply