Mar 17, 2015, 12:09 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Clean/Elegant way to short the Pins on HP DPS 600PB

Hi all, I purchased 2x HP DPS 600PB to make a 24V power supply for my charger. I've already tested both units by temporarily shorting the pins on the power supply as described in many posts (as well as the fan pin which slows it down).

My question is: What is the 'cleanest' way to permanently short these pins? Yes, I know I can solder some high gauge wire over the pins or make a simple harness with servo leads. The soldering of the wire will be most likely be unsightly and making a servo lead harness will leave a wad of wires hanging off the back; neither case is what I'd call 'clean'.

Is there a clean, simple way to short these pins or a way to do it internally with not much work? Anyone make a clean custom plug or something on a 3D printer? Anyone have a 'plug and play' way to short the pins?

(I plan to solder on bullet connectors and use a simple jumper between the 2 power supplies AND perform the grounding mod so these don't become a risk when connecting them next to each other)

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm sorry if I overlooked previous posts on this question.
Last edited by ept04; Mar 17, 2015 at 03:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2015, 12:19 PM
Push the pins together and then solder with a fine tip iron. Simply bend pins 4, 6, and 10 until they touch pin 8 and then solder.

I did this on over 200 DPS-600's and it is extremely quick and simple to do. Will append macro photos when I return home later tonight.

Mark
Mar 17, 2015, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
Push the pins together and then solder with a fine tip iron. Simply bend pins 4, 6, and 10 until they touch pin 8 and then solder.

I did this on over 200 DPS-600's and it is extremely quick and simple to do. Will append macro photos when I return home later tonight.

Mark

Thanks Mark, pics would be good....this sounds like a clean and quick way to get it done.
Mar 17, 2015, 02:57 PM
Would a standard PC motherboard jumper work? You would need to check the spacing.
Mar 17, 2015, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately, no. The DPS-600 indeed has standard .100" spacing pins but the ones that need to be connected to enable power-up and load-controlled fan are on the diagonal (see below image).

The easiest, most efficient, and highly reliable method that I've been using for many years for these supplies is to bend pins 4, 6 (short pin), and 10 into pin 8 and then solder the lot together. It'll make perfect sense after I post a photo later tonight.

Mark

Mar 17, 2015, 09:54 PM
Photos. Having modified over 200 this fashion, I'm convinced that there's no quicker, simpler, or more reliable means of converting a DPS-600. It takes all of a minute to accomplish.

As stated above, simply bend the pins together and solder with a fine soldering tip. The non-used pins can be bent out of the way to create more room if desired but I have never found this to be necessary.

Mark
Mar 18, 2015, 07:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Photos. Having modified over 200 this fashion, I'm convinced that there's no quicker, simpler, or more reliable means of converting a DPS-600. It takes all of a minute to accomplish.

As stated above, simply bend the pins together and solder with a fine soldering tip. The non-used pins can be bent out of the way to create more room if desired but I have never found this to be necessary.

Mark
This is the simplest connection I've seen, thanks!
Mar 18, 2015, 07:33 AM
I see, didn't realize there were diagonal pins involved. Good job.
Jul 26, 2015, 10:38 PM
Quote:

Mark
Why are you also shorting pin 4 ?
Jul 27, 2015, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpabmendez
Why are you also shorting pin 4 ?
It slows the fan when at low load and makes the PS much quieter. The fan increases in speed at ~16-17A load and also when warm to ensure that there's adequate cooling at all times.

Mark
Mar 20, 2016, 10:24 AM
Stunt man
Thanks for posting your method Mark - I just did one myself based on this thread, very easy and clean indeed!

Quick Reply