Mar 17, 2015, 11:36 AM
says hello from Norway
Thread OP
Discussion

HMF Totem Q330

Hi all
Browsing the net for some 330 quad frames I stumbled over this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HMF-Totem-Q3...item35e5a100e3

I ordered one and it came in after just one week.
Have just put it together to take some pics and put it on the scale. Donīt know if I like the attachment of the arms though. The holes in the bottom plate is almost at the edge of it. Would guess that is a weak point on a crash..... The arms will twist in the frame on crashing since there is no third screw to stop the sideways movement like on the F330 frame.... We will just have to see how that goes
It said in the description that it could take 8" props so I figure I can move my drive train over from my F330.... Hm not sure about it. Looks to be some problems on clearance...

To be continued
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2015, 06:38 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
That's very nice looking. I have never built a quad before, but I would like to, and the 330 size looks great for me. What motors, props, ESCs will you use?

-Florida Heli-
Mar 18, 2015, 03:06 PM
says hello from Norway
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heli
That's very nice looking. I have never built a quad before, but I would like to, and the 330 size looks great for me. What motors, props, ESCs will you use?

-Florida Heli-
Yeah I think it got the right look to it. I had plans for using the DJI 920 KV motors with 8" props I have on my F330 frame using 4S batteries but it looks not to be enough clearance to the frame plates for the props..... Have ordered some 6x45 props to see if those fit better but then I will need to go to some higher KV motors....
Have looked at some DYS 1400 KVīs that can handle 4S. The ESCīs will be ZTW spider 12A ones I think.
Have just started building a F450 for a colleague of mine so this Totem frame will have to wait a bit before any progress will be done.
Mar 27, 2015, 01:35 PM
Will the 8" props fit? It looks like they'll hit on the front arms.
Mar 27, 2015, 04:54 PM
says hello from Norway
Thread OP
That depends on the motors you will use... The DJI 920 ones I tried is so high that the prop is about 5 mm higher than the top frame plate and will not hit it but it will be swinging in over it. I will try to take a pic of it with the motors and props on...:-)
Mar 31, 2015, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinor
That depends on the motors you will use... The DJI 920 ones I tried is so high that the prop is about 5 mm higher than the top frame plate and will not hit it but it will be swinging in over it. I will try to take a pic of it with the motors and props on...:-)
Thanks. please post a pic when you can. about how many mm does it overhang.?
Mar 31, 2015, 08:03 AM
says hello from Norway
Thread OP
Here are some pics of the frame with the drive train from my DJI F330 mounted... No way this frame is intended for 8" props. Big overlap on front frame plate and a gap of just 8 mm in height... The flexible DJI props will hit on some acrobatic flying Iīm sure....
Apr 01, 2015, 01:01 PM

Subscribed

Awaiting more info before I purchase, flight report?
Rct
Apr 01, 2015, 01:17 PM
says hello from Norway
Thread OP
I have some 12A esc's on their way, and a kk mini around here... Will see if I build it together just to see how it flies...
Apr 11, 2015, 03:36 AM
I have just built the same Totem 330 quadcopter. I've used emax 22801800kv motors. 12amp Simon k escs with 5 inch props(due to cheapness & clearance problems) I'm also using a Naza Lite flight controller with gps. A Sony 700tvl camera wired up to a fatshark vtx. It's Ready for its maiden flight & when the wind has calmed a little I shall.give it a hover or 2 to set up the gains for pitch ,roll & yaw.
I've set up the 3 flight modes on My Taranis plus with Failsafe override with voice commands so I know if I'm pressing the correct switches (as you should)
The ONLY worry about this great looking frame I have is (what has already.been mentioned) the Arm fixtures. They are too close to the edge.of the frame for my liking & not this has been mentioned, it worries me.
I Like the idea of the Motor mounts being Angled to stop prop-wash when your flying although this doesn't help the clearance of the props themselves unless you use tall motors with plenty of clearance. Ummmm
I'M GETTING a little worried that the quad build I've just done isn't going to last long.....
Apr 11, 2015, 05:09 AM
says hello from Norway
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikez1986
I have just built the same Totem 330 quadcopter. I've used emax 22801800kv motors. 12amp Simon k escs with 5 inch props(due to cheapness & clearance problems) I'm also using a Naza Lite flight controller with gps. A Sony 700tvl camera wired up to a fatshark vtx. It's Ready for its maiden flight & when the wind has calmed a little I shall.give it a hover or 2 to set up the gains for pitch ,roll & yaw.
I've set up the 3 flight modes on My Taranis plus with Failsafe override with voice commands so I know if I'm pressing the correct switches (as you should)
The ONLY worry about this great looking frame I have is (what has already.been mentioned) the Arm fixtures. They are too close to the edge.of the frame for my liking & not this has been mentioned, it worries me.
I Like the idea of the Motor mounts being Angled to stop prop-wash when your flying although this doesn't help the clearance of the props themselves unless you use tall motors with plenty of clearance. Ummmm
I'M GETTING a little worried that the quad build I've just done isn't going to last long.....
Pics of your build please:-). The 12A esc's just came in and some 6" props too. Just have to figure out what motors to use...
Apr 11, 2015, 07:05 PM
Lipo Burner
I have the frame as well. running rcx 2206 with 6045 props. Good enough power for this frame on 4s, but I think 7 inch propellers would be an improvement. I can vouch for the durability of this frame! I was flipping around and lost orientation in the twilight and ran it straight into the ground upside down. I broke 4 props, bent some pins on my fc, and destroyed a motor bearing.

The frame survived quite nicely.
Skip to about 2:50
2014 0306 232531 042 (3 min 1 sec)
May 03, 2015, 04:09 AM
Armattan Spy
When you guys are all settled on your motors and props etc. please post some specifications and reviews when you're happy with what you have Please...

I'm going from a 200 size to this.
This frame looks incredibly sharp and has ability to have a lot more speed and power... Which is what I'm looking for....

I'm looking to do mostly " zipping around " FPV with minimal acro ( The occasional barrel roll or Loop ). I just want to fly it low and fast.
May 04, 2015, 03:17 PM
Lipo Burner
Here is another vid of the machine. I would say it's comparable to a blackout 330, but with better yaw.

Props larger than about 6.5 inches will overlap the front of the frame.

I'll post more info when time allows.

HMF Totem Q330 (1 min 15 sec)
May 09, 2015, 03:42 PM
Dont proofread forget

Gonna build this thing

I'm going to build this ground up- I'm kinda newb but my first build came out sweet. I guess I like the Multiwii boards but will try the cc3d for this project. Not sure why this damn pic wont rotate!
Last edited by TexasKPTR; May 09, 2015 at 03:52 PM. Reason: rotating pic

Quick Reply