This thread is privately moderated by Edge767, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 16, 2015, 03:29 PM
AMA 52726
Thread OP
Discussion

Fun with the Airbrush

I'm now done with three planes after having utilized my airbrush and Valspar latex paints and Michael's generic paints. I am now very happy with the outcomes!

The Fw190A8 turned out really well. I finally re-did the mottling/spots on the fuselage and some subtle weathering. The results were very well received at the club flying field this past weekend.

The Bf109G is also complete, and while the ground handling still bothers me, now at least it looks as nicely as it flies.

The last plane I have done some airbrushing on was the Spitfire Mk IX. I went with subtle airbrushing around the panel lines, some washes, and gray and black smoke detailing behind the exhausts.

The black on the planes was done by diluting the Michael's branded black acrylic with automotive windshield washer fluid and shooing it through my Vega airbrush. The rest of the colors on all three planes was painted using Lowe's Valspar latex paints diluted with the washer fluid through the same Vega airbrush. It's surprisingly versatile and the end result is a very nice and scale looking matte finish.

I'm in the process of airbrushing some more of my planes and I hope to have photos of the rest of them soon!
Last edited by Edge767; Aug 11, 2019 at 02:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2015, 04:29 PM
Beautiful plane. Definitely my favorite WWII plane.
Mar 16, 2015, 07:43 PM
Goodjob on the weathering... As an A/C mechanic I see all to often people weather a plane beyond reasonable.... WAY overboard.

Yours look great!
Mar 16, 2015, 10:08 PM
AMA 52726
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8R
Beautiful plane. Definitely my favorite WWII plane.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14
Goodjob on the weathering... As an A/C mechanic I see all to often people weather a plane beyond reasonable.... WAY overboard.

Yours look great!
Thanks! When I was a young Marine MP, I used to have to walk around the aircraft and I got to see what the weathering looked like up close. During the first Gulf War, our planes got pretty dirty, but only to a point. I know that German planes in WWII could get pretty grungy near the end, but for Allied planes, they didn't get too incredibly bad (except perhaps Marine aircraft on the islands in the Pacific). Another thing I learned: it's very easy to go overboard with weathering. Less is more.

I appreciate the nice comments. Thanks again!

Quick Reply