More Website Work! - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by JulietKiloMike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 11, 2015, 12:24 AM
Build Log

More Website Work!

Got DNS working on the website I'm building, so now the domain name is a nice .com instead of a sketchy subdomain: jkmrcsolutions.com

Still have to work on uploading products, but it's definitely an improvement! This is my first "real" website that I've coded from scratch, so I'm definitely learning a lot! I'd love to hear what you guys think about the website

I'm still pretty jazzed that my total hosting and DNS costs are <$2 a month. Pretty good deal! I used grendel hosting for website hosting ($0.70/mo) and GoDaddy for the domain ($12.99/yr).
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2015, 01:21 PM
So far so good bud. Once you're done, may not be a bad idea to use some free tools to check regularly for breaches. But since it doesn't look like you have any databases driving the site or sensitive personal or financial info passing through, it should be safe enough.

SQL Security check

Website Load Test

Malware Check
Mar 11, 2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the links alphatex! I haven't done any SQL stuff yet, but I think I might branch part of the website into ecommerce sometime in the future, if things get that far. These tools look like they could be quite useful!

It sounds like you know a lot about web development--do you have a lot of experience in this area?

Thanks again!
-John
Mar 11, 2015, 10:12 PM
I have some experience, no clue about design and making things pretty though, I'm a bit more adept at the technical stuff. Feel free to PM anytime you want to bounce ideas around.
Mar 12, 2015, 12:28 AM
Awesome! I'll probably have a few questions as the website gets bigger--right now it's still some pretty rectangles and a few blocks of HTML and php with one CSS stylesheet.

Do you have a recommended method for learning php and MySQL? I have a teeeeny bit of understanding of php and haven't had the chance to jump into SQL at all yet--any "best" online tutorials you know of?

Thanks!
-John
Mar 12, 2015, 01:24 AM
Lynda.com has good tutorials but not free, my quick reference is an old fashioned book "Build your own database driven website using PHP and MySQL" by Kevin Yank.
Mar 12, 2015, 01:57 AM
Interesting! I'll see if I can find the book...for now I'm using the tutorial by ww3 schools (codeacademy's tutorials are painfully simple). Thanks for the tip!

-John
Mar 14, 2015, 03:26 PM
Added some more stuff to the website! Now there's a products section with a few semi-complete product pages