Mar 10, 2015, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Open 5.6'' 1280x800 Fpv Goggle project, Information, Links

All the related information and links will be posted in this thread... To be continued.

Screens:
HV056WX1-100 (and variations of it)
LTD056EV7f

They are the same screens, in general, very little difference.

The boards to run the lcd screen:

VST29.01B V39
Dimensions: 10.8x8x1.6 centimeters
Can be flashed with "no blue screen firmware"
Firmware:
A.VST29.01B
Refresh Frimware and modi...

Housings:

Eco Goggles ~$18
Though it says 4.3'', I've seen a few people on the forums used it with 5.6'' screen. Might require a bit of chopping soon to test.

Hobbykings's Quantum Goggle
- $30

Cyclops Eye 5 '' (Poland) - $85

On the expensive side, but probably the best candidate, if you don't mind paying a bit of cash.

DIY schematics are coming shortly...
Last edited by rank; Mar 13, 2015 at 03:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2015, 07:05 AM
Interesting thread about 1280800 lcd screens.

I prefer lcd's with lightweight driver motherboard and not bulky
Is there any IPS option ?
Only 5.6" or 7" are welcome ?

LTD056EV7F 68€ shipping included. Does it require analog input motherboard ?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-...238508413.html

HV056WX1-100 62€ shipping included
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/origi...922709533.html

The one that I'm using has this tiny analog input board:
http://www.dx.com/p/diy-hd-5-tft-lcd...8#.VQAzLEYXKgw 800x480 5" 31€ weights 80g

Last edited by lilopiglet; Mar 11, 2015 at 07:21 AM.
Mar 11, 2015, 07:12 AM
Yes, it does require driver board.
Afaik, this is the cheapest ready to use choice:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2216078964...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would love to be wrong
Mar 11, 2015, 07:31 AM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2525

This cheap 23€ 5" screen has a perfect tiny analog input motherboard. It's not HD but the idea is to check if they are usable and interchangeable with the 1280x800 ones and if they have no bluescreen or are flasheable to allow snow intead of bluescreen....

Mar 11, 2015, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
The V39 board I've ordered can be flashed with no-bluescreen firmware (linki coming soon). Easy to do using the onboard USB port. The seller claims the size is 10.8x8x1.6 cm, if the size is true, should be no problem mounting on pretty much any suitable mask (Hobbyking's Quantum, Marko's mask etc). I will confirm the size when it arrives.
So, if you after a no blue-screen board, your choices will be narrower.

There's a V59 board available, of a smaller size, which is used in one of the commercially produced 5.6'' HD goggles (from Russia), but it can only be bought on taobao site at the moment. Aliexpress do not have it yet
Mar 11, 2015, 09:35 AM
Imo, the BS issue is not that serious as some fear.
Actually, from all the 4-5 devices used in my FPV activity over the years, all had BS and didn't lost any plane for this reason.
You simply need discipline to return when noise start to be permanent. And have a realistic idea when BS will appear, to avoid this situation. I have a small 10mW VTx for tests, with less than 500m range, and an 800m flying field, where I test any new display device, so I can find quite precise the margin I have between first noise signs and BS.
Anyway, the image of all the devices I had was so bad before triggering BS, that it was totally unusable for navigating.
Mar 11, 2015, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Imo, the BS issue is not that serious as some fear.
Actually, from all the 4-5 devices used in my FPV activity over the years, all had BS and didn't lost any plane for this reason.
You simply need discipline to return when noise start to be permanent. And have a realistic idea when BS will appear, to avoid this situation. I have a small 10mW VTx for tests, with less than 500m range, and an 800m flying field, where I test any new display device, so I can find quite precise the margin I have between first noise signs and BS.
Anyway, the image of all the devices I had was so bad before triggering BS, that it was totally unusable for navigating.
If we're only talking about environments with constant LOS for the RF (most all FPV plane flying) I'd probably agree.

But what about flying 30+ mph through tickets of trees, abandoned buildings, underground parking structures, etc? That's prime flying for mini-quad racers.

The point is not everyone FPVs the same and there are some environments that are highly prone to dropouts with little or no warning, regardless of physical range. In such RF hostile environments it's not as simple as test and avoid and the difference between a BS monitor and a non-BS monitor can mean the difference between a great flying location and a completely unflyable location.
Mar 12, 2015, 10:22 AM
---
Last edited by Norbit; Mar 25, 2015 at 04:26 PM.
Mar 12, 2015, 10:26 AM
Bummer... exactly the feedback I need !
No more hurry to push buy now, until I hear a report about Hyundai panel...
Mar 12, 2015, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
That's a very strange feedback.
The datasheet says 262K 6-bit colors, this is a Toshiba screen, so I doubt this figures are inflated. Could be some board issue/wrong firmware/cable/lvds mapping?! I've seen many people built their goggles with this screen and no similar reports, everyone seems to be satisfied. I will look into it and report back.
Last edited by rank; Mar 12, 2015 at 10:48 AM.
Mar 12, 2015, 10:58 AM
Maybe 16bit = 64k colors, never heard about 16k colors, even the lamest mobile phone has better...
Mar 12, 2015, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Just got a message from one of the owners. He says the screen is amazing and I should definitely get one. I know this guy as rather well educated person who knows a lot about the electronics.
So I keep my order and report back when it arrives
Mar 12, 2015, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Just got a message from one of the owners. He says the screen is amazing and I should definitely get one. I know this guy as rather well educated person who knows a lot about the electronics.
So I keep my order and report back when it arrives
Thanks rank!

I'm imagining if this screen really turns out to be as good as it looks on paper that there's a market for an "Open Headplay" project that puts all the pieces together more cleanly than the DIY boxes and such. Like the component built MultiWii and friends progressed into Naze, OpenPilot et al, I believe the time is ripe to transition the DIY goggle efforts into a polished (open source, open hardware) solution to rival the commercial goggle makers.

Frankly, the ability to flash no-bluescreen firmware on to these driver boards is really the magic sauce to make it happen.
Mar 12, 2015, 07:10 PM
great
Mar 14, 2015, 08:46 AM
I think all of the components are available to build an open source hmd already. The one thing we are missing is a quality housing that is not only functional but also does not look ridiculous. I would be comfortable wearing something similar in size to the Occulus rift. Also a HMD mounted camera would be nice similar to the Skyzone goggles.

Quick Reply