Berkeley's Custom Privateer - RC Groups
Mar 10, 2015, 08:07 PM
Build Log

Berkeley's Custom Privateer

Hello water planes fans,. I made a return back to 1954 with is Berkeley's Custom Privateer,. I will convert to electric motor, and build witn conventional balsa and plywood, with conventional wing with aileron, build in brogress...............in 1959 the Privateer super 15 sold for $6.95 , time change.................. Cheers
Last edited by Jeanskydive; Mar 13, 2015 at 11:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2015, 12:07 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Beautiful work! I see what looks like stamped code numbers on the ribs -- did you find a kit somewhere? That would be a rare find.

Also, what is the covering?

Gonna check back in, for sure!
Mar 12, 2015, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG
Beautiful work! I see what looks like stamped code numbers on the ribs -- did you find a kit somewhere? That would be a rare find.

Also, what is the covering?

Gonna check back in, for sure!
Hello , yes quite rare this kit these day's, I find a kit from klarich Custom Kits, McGovern's Berkeley's ``Custom privateer`` 120 1430 sq. in. partial kit only , all ribs, and fuselage bulkheads, 155$
for is all surface covering I use Natural Solartex natural with couple a fews coat (2 ) of nitrate dope., wing in progress,. and for is fuselage I use fiberglass 3/4 oz., with resine,. same proceed for is both small wing flotter pond., also I add some strong magnet for easy remove from is wing for transport and wheel flying.., .Cheers...
Last edited by Jeanskydive; Mar 26, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
Mar 12, 2015, 05:57 AM
If it flies - I want one!

Lovely!

An outstanding build so far - that finished float is a work of art!
Cheers,
PeteM
Mar 12, 2015, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
An outstanding build so far - that finished float is a work of art!
Cheers,
PeteM
Thank PeteM Nitrate dope done on rear section,. wing in progress....Cheers
Mar 17, 2015, 12:28 PM

McGovern Privateer

Wing cover with Natural Solartex and two coats of nitrate dope, engine Scorpion SII-4020-420kv, with 6S-5000 LiPo, turn 14 X 10 prop,. fuselage in progress..........Cheers
Mar 18, 2015, 01:25 PM
MaineFlyer
Beautiful job!!

Joe
Mar 18, 2015, 01:32 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Hush, now! You'll give him a swelled head!

But seriously -- that is some of the nicest building I've ever seen. Love the 2-tone gray/silver with the natural covering. Clean, elegant, & just different enough to be recognized as a current build, not a museum piece.

Can't wait to see it with the fuselage!
Mar 18, 2015, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG
Hush, now! You'll give him a swelled head!

But seriously -- that is some of the nicest building I've ever seen. Love the 2-tone gray/silver with the natural covering. Clean, elegant, & just different enough to be recognized as a current build, not a museum piece.

Can't wait to see it with the fuselage!
Thank's I have to build some kind of jig for line-up all those fuselage bulkheads , the bottom keel come to 92 in,. long,. , Cheers
Mar 20, 2015, 02:24 AM

Start with top longerons,. and try to line-up everything,. .......the worst part is done ,. and came pretty straight., .Sheet balsa 1/8 balsa for side fuselage easy part to do before the bottom,., the rear section of the fuselage planking with 1/16 sheet balsa . temporary fit is stab for line-up,.and the top batt. acces., front section done., nex the worst part the bottom keel., Cheers
Last edited by Jeanskydive; Apr 01, 2015 at 12:50 AM.
Mar 24, 2015, 11:15 PM

Now the fun begin!! with the front bottom section with balsa sticks, ........bottom hull covering with 3/4 oz. fiberglasss and resine and sanding, now the cabin, easy and verry strong laminate 1/4 and 1/8 balsa ,laminate side 1/8 cabin balsa with havy grain hard and stif balsa , 3/4 OZ., fiberglass nex,. the worst part is over ,sanding with 100 first part and proceed nex with 220 to sanding, sanding and sandin all over before apply primer,. and dont forget , the différence between a poor model and the a nice one , is sand paper!! so far so good., nex rear section covering with Solartex and nitrate dope, now the stab &fin ready to install in place with low cure J-B Weld . Cheers
Last edited by Jeanskydive; Apr 02, 2015 at 07:58 PM.
Apr 02, 2015, 10:47 PM

The stab in glue on in place, line-up with is wing,. look good. , primer with Dipli-color fill all small scratches, manu coats work great on fiberglass, .fit all plastic for is windows . , I made a removable landing gear slide in to brass tube . Cheers
Last edited by Jeanskydive; Apr 04, 2015 at 01:49 AM.
Apr 03, 2015, 02:54 PM
That's looks great!
Apr 04, 2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasquale91
That's looks great!
Thank , yes look different . Cheers