DX9: How do you create throttle curves? - RC Groups
Mar 10, 2015, 05:53 PM
Question

DX9: How do you create throttle curves?

I'm switching from a DX8 to a DX9, for airplanes. Had no problems with my DX8; haven't a clue with the DX9. In the DX9, I can create different throttle curves, but I can't make the assigned switch do anything. And I can't figure out what the Curve numbers mean relative to the 1,2,3 boxes at the bottom in the UI.

The documentation says you can add points to the throttle curve, but says nothing about creating and assigning throttle curves.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2015, 07:31 PM
The Throttle Curve function behaves differently than the Rates and Expo curves, by design. On the DR/Expo you can flip the switch and see the new curve show up. When it does, the Curve # changes.

On the Throttle Curve, for your safety (so motor doesn't start) you can have the switch in one position and edit the curve for another position. You do this by selecting the Curve # manually.

In both sections, the curve number and switch position are kind of like those matching "draw a line from column A to column B" tests we had in second grade. You are connecting a curve number to a switch position.

Andy
Mar 10, 2015, 08:43 PM
Think I have it now. If I understand correctly, the curves on the graph do not change when you change the physical switch position, only when you select the different switch position or Curve in the UI.

And being able to to click on more than box and have it turn black for a curve means you can assign a curve to more than one switch position if you want. Correct?

Thanks.
Mar 10, 2015, 09:20 PM
Correct!
Mar 21, 2015, 02:59 AM

Update - why don't changes appear on main screen?

After setting up throttle curves, I can see the changes in the Monitor screen. If I set the throttle at, say, 50, and then change the curves, the indicator moves to the new position.

However, if I am on the main screen, the number that indicates the throttle setting does not change from one curve to the next. So is it only showing stick position? Not intuitive to have different sorts of readings .
Mar 21, 2015, 06:00 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
The number at the top of the model's main screen is your Throttle Stick position indicator.

While in the throttle curve menu to see the curve change you need to do it by selecting the curve number in the menu to avoid any dangerous situation by having you toggle possibly in a unwanted situation.
Mar 21, 2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks. Would make more sense to me to show the throttle setting.
Mar 21, 2015, 01:27 PM
For way more than half our market, that's showing the pitch stick, not the throttle - the throttle is on a switch.

Andy
Mar 21, 2015, 01:56 PM
Hi Andy. Think I missed something. If I were using a pitch curve, would it show the actual pitch on the main screen, or the stick position, as it does for planes?

If my throttle curve has 65% throttle at a stick position of 50%, would it make sense to show 65 instead of 50 fort planes?
Mar 21, 2015, 02:47 PM
It always shows the position of the stick.

Andy
Aug 16, 2015, 09:38 PM
what goes up, must come down..
I'm just REALLY wanting to know what these little boxes mean and do??? Please someone help!!!!
Aug 16, 2015, 10:04 PM
Those are the possible values of the switch you selected. That's why there is 3 of them.

You have Curve 1 (look at the higher-up boxed field) assigned to none of those positions. If you would like that curve to work on a switch position, go down to boxes you're asking about, put the cursor on one of them (I suggest 1, so it matches the Curve number) and click the roller. The [1] will turn black, and that will mean the curve is attached to position 1 of the switch.

Right now the switch is in position 0 - I can tell that by the little tick mark below the [0] box.

This information is covered up at the front of your manual.

Andy
Aug 16, 2015, 11:38 PM
what goes up, must come down..
I read about this in the manual and it made absolutely NO sense, but how you just explained it makes total sense. I now understand what to do! Thanks!
Apr 20, 2016, 11:53 PM
The Ground is The Limit™
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingclint
I read about this in the manual and it made absolutely NO sense, but how you just explained it makes total sense. I now understand what to do! Thanks!
Hmmm. I've read the manual carefully, and what AndyK posted, but I'm still rather confused. How can I see which curves are assigned to which switch positions, please? I can operate the switch to which I have (I think) assigned different curves and the dot below the 0/1/2 moves, but the curve displayed never changes.

Perhaps it would help if someone could please describe the sequence to assign a specific curve to a specific switch position.

For example (and assuming I'm working with switch B) and want no curve for position 0 but want to add a curve for only position 1 (the middle position):
  1. Move the highlight to Curve and select Curve 1 using the thumbwheel.
  2. Move the cursor to Switch: and move switch B from the 0 position to the 1 position switch B and select it with the thumbwheel.
  3. Move the cursor to the 1 in the 0/1/2 and click it with the thumbwheel (it switches to inverse video).
  4. Then select the various values that I want for that curve #1.
  5. Then move the cursor to the 1 of 0/1/2 and deselect it by clicking with the thumbwheel.

But now when I move Switch B to position 0 (that has the straight line "curve" associated with it (at least I presume it does), nothing changes. The only way the curve changes is when I move the Cursor to "Curve:" and change that value.

So how do I view the current assignments of Curve: to 0/1/2 switch positions please?

Thanks
Andy.
Apr 21, 2016, 06:14 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
You have to manual use the roller to change the curve where the curve selection is indicated in the menu itself.

There is a good safety reason why the curves display DOES NOT change with the switch.