Nov 10, 2015, 07:56 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Hey Duke, welcome aboard

The model would never balance with the EDF in the bottom nacelle as it should be, as you see in earlier posts, I had to keep moving the EDF forward until it was right at the front and even then I had to extend the fuselage bottom forward to enable the battery to move further forward

Balance (C of G) is the biggest problem so far with these models

Good starting point for the CG is about 1/4 of the disk but would probably be somewhere between 1/4 to 1/3 of the disk dependent on the surfaces behind the disk

From memory, the CG was somewhere between the 2 red dots

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Nov 10, 2015 at 08:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2015, 03:50 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
I think I'm going to let this one slide guys. I've never been a "Trek-y" or a fan of much of anything really.
I haven't found the "want" for this frame. I thought after reading the thread it may 'grow on me' but no.
Thing is, my Colonial ViperVII had the design option of flying in an atmosphere as well as the vacuum of space, wich made the project feasible. ....
This was never even remotely designed to fly aerodynamically.
The amount of work Vs the mods that will take away from the 'scale' look is a hill to high.
I think this is why you might be "dragging your feet" as you said, Lockey?
Having said all that....I'll have a look at a glider for the cg.
I've been putting together the Jim Beagle Spitfire plans at 1200mm w/s, found 3mm corflute at Bunnings, which will be the next build.
Nov 10, 2015, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Not a problem Duke, as you said, you have to be a Trekkie fan ... bit like ABBA, you either love em or hate em ... Me ... I love em .. both

Talking of Spitfire ... I have a ME 109 thats been on the drawing board for way too long

Lockey
Nov 10, 2015, 10:34 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
CG on my Voyager is at the back edge of the prop slot.

It is so hard to balance a plane like this. Every ounce you put in the back you have to put 3 or 4 ounces in the nose... and I mean all the way in the front. Not a lot of room there. Worse, every ounce you add at all makes it fly worse.

I love my Voyager though. It is a beautiful flying plane. And it looks so awesome. You should see the high alpha you can do with it. It is practically a 3D plane!

Did you ever start building Lockey?
Nov 10, 2015, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
CG on my Voyager is at the back edge of the prop slot.

It is so hard to balance a plane like this. Every ounce you put in the back you have to put 3 or 4 ounces in the nose... and I mean all the way in the front. Not a lot of room there. Worse, every ounce you add at all makes it fly worse.

I love my Voyager though. It is a beautiful flying plane. And it looks so awesome. You should see the high alpha you can do with it. It is practically a 3D plane!

Did you ever start building Lockey?
Hi SG, great to see you again ... no mate I didn't build the Voyager, in fact I haven't built anything for a few months ... lost my wife and it knocked the socks off me for a while there, I am just starting to feel better and maybe can get back to some building again soon

Lockey
Nov 11, 2015, 04:55 PM
treefinder
I thought it was awfully quiet down under. Very sorry to hear about your loss, Tony. I trust you will get back in the foamie saddle and gen up some great planes to work your brain and fingers! and tempt us to build them!
Nov 11, 2015, 05:35 PM
When cows fly!
Tony,
Somehow I just knew that you were an ABBA fan! Now a Spitfire with a somewhat built up wing would be interesting Waiting for the wind to die down and am gonna go out and fly the OV-10. Runway is covered in a little bit of snow, so the landing will be nice and soft. Video to follow, hopefully.
Nov 11, 2015, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Mike, I am starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel

Dave, whilst I don't like the cold, I would love to be able to fly on a snow covered paddock or park, it would be great to have a plane with skids on to take off and land on the snow, I guess most of the sea planes (Polaris etc) would be great on the snow

Spitty eh ... maybe one day !!

At my wifes funeral, at the end as as people were leaving the chapel we played "Dancing Queen" my sister and I danced out ... now I have tears in my eyes ... it was one of Suzanne favourites

Lockey
Nov 11, 2015, 07:19 PM
Love to see that video David..... ahhhhh.....snow covered hills. I can picture it now. ...
32ºc and 80 to 90% humidity here...lol..
I'll be building the Spitty as the "Naked Modeler!" ..... now there's a reality tv show I might watch! ! Hahaha

I had an idea a couple of weeks ago, of a tv series, 'worlds best modeler' .... do it like "master chief", start with ten, everybody has a 8x4 bench all the gear they need and one gets eliminated every week till there's only one left. Each week theres a new task set and through in a couple of drawings that have never flown.
Should be cool!! No?
Nov 11, 2015, 07:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Love to see that video David..... ahhhhh.....snow covered hills. I can picture it now. ...
32ºc and 80 to 90% humidity here...lol..
I'll be building the Spitty as the "Naked Modeler!" ..... now there's a reality tv show I might watch! ! Hahaha

I had an idea a couple of weeks ago, of a tv series, 'worlds best modeler' .... do it like "master chief", start with ten, everybody has a 8x4 bench all the gear they need and one gets eliminated every week till there's only one left. Each week theres a new task set and through in a couple of drawings that have never flown.
Should be cool!! No?
And everyone does it in the nick (naked) eh Duke LOL

33c today here in Perth and 36c tomorrow and Saturday

Think you might win that one Duke ... don't know about the naked bit though

Man ... you have a vivid imagination

Lockey
Nov 11, 2015, 07:50 PM
Oh man! You had to center on the naked bit! Lol...
You too kind Lockey!. Or havin a dig! Lol......
be fun to have ago! East vs West-Northern hemisphere vs Southern. ...country vs country? ?... oh I can see it now.....any Tv producers out there in RCG land...
It woud be better than most of the crap that passes for TV.
Nov 11, 2015, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
be fun to have ago! East vs West-Northern hemisphere vs Southern. ...country vs country? ?... oh I can see it now.....any Tv producers out there in RCG land...
It woud be better than most of the crap that passes for TV.
Thats a big "Hear Hear" from me mate ... too much crap on TV

Lockey
Nov 11, 2015, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Oh man! You had to center on the naked bit! Lol...
By the way ... any lady modellers out there interested ?? ... now that would make it interesting ... and unbiased

..... MOVING ON ...

Lockey
Nov 12, 2015, 06:00 AM
Hey guys, can't get this bloody voyager out of head.
Here some photos.... SG got me thinking. With predicted CG measurement. If the balance point is
2/3 of the oval body back from the nose. Then I think the edf can go in the bottom. As you'll see from the pictures I found.
I do agree it would look good flying. IF the shape will allow it to create lift.
Nov 12, 2015, 06:13 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Duke, How do you balance it ??? I think your predicted CG is optimistic ... may end up more forward ... ?
Latest blog entry: Lost plans

Quick Reply