Mar 14, 2015, 12:26 AM
That's a wicked, high power motor you have chosen. It's also very versatile with the ability to take a large range of props >< voltage. I'll be watching and wishing for success on your very cool project.

David
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2015, 09:00 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2011
That's a wicked, high power motor you have chosen. It's also very versatile with the ability to take a large range of props >< voltage. I'll be watching and wishing for success on your very cool project.

David
Thanks David, seems you know the motor well ... what prop / battery combo would you recommend for this one ?

Lockey
Mar 17, 2015, 09:31 AM
Gravity is my enemy
G'day Lockey, While in the Trekkie train of thought, would you consider the Klingon Bird of Prey? or has it been done already.. this forum is huge! Cheers
Mar 17, 2015, 10:39 AM
Retired CAD guy
OK Lockey,

Dang it all ... Ya got me on this one.

I used to watch Voyager all the time.

AND I like the Necellerons idea. To coin a phrase

Send plans when you are ready and confident. Thanks :-)

Bob
Last edited by birdofplay; Mar 17, 2015 at 10:47 AM.
Mar 17, 2015, 01:43 PM
Gravity is my enemy
No no, I didn't say bird of play, I said bird of prey! LOL, Hi Bob. Nice timing.
Mar 17, 2015, 01:59 PM
Retired CAD guy
QaQ jaj puv

I note that Bing now also does Klingon Translations
but reverse is not so good :-(

It is a good day to Fly !
Last edited by birdofplay; Mar 17, 2015 at 02:26 PM.
Mar 17, 2015, 09:12 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Hey Bob, don't want to push this one until its been built and flight tested

I don't have as much faith in this one as I do in most of the other models I design, probably why I am dragging my feet a bit

I have had a bit of a rest from ones that either don't fly (or don't fly well) and been playing with my EZ-Jets and these do seem to fly very well ... havent seen you there https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post31087930 ... especially the Skyray

By the way, can you cut foam board ... or I guess they can be made from MPF as its about the same thickness

Drop me an email if you would like to do these ones

Lockey
Mar 18, 2015, 07:39 AM
Retired CAD guy
Yes I can cut foam board.

I got some just to see what it was "all about".

The EZ jet is very enticing.
I like that you can take off from ground.

I may have to buy one of those fancy new factory balanced metal DF units.
My plastic DF experiences have never been remarkable to say the least.

Bob
Mar 18, 2015, 01:07 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon Bandit
G'day Lockey, While in the Trekkie train of thought, would you consider the Klingon Bird of Prey? or has it been done already.. this forum is huge! Cheers
Hey BB,

The Bird of Prey is what got me hooked on building Spacecraft.

Here is the thread that did it too. Took 3 or 4 iterations before we got one that worked but it is a great looking ship!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843143

I have designed about 30 RC Spacecraft check out my blog (click on my name) for the links.
Mar 18, 2015, 02:44 PM
Gravity is my enemy
Thanks Sarge, I'll go check it out!
Mar 19, 2015, 07:56 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
It is SG - Talon. I have never been in the military.
Mar 19, 2015, 09:39 AM
Gravity is my enemy
If I had looked at your tag line under your name, I would have caught that. Sorry SG, no offense intended. I was active Army, so the SGT just jumped out at me. However, I guess I've sidetracked this thread enough.. So back on topic: Great bird Lockey, still going tractor on this one?
Mar 19, 2015, 11:05 AM
Isaiah 40:31
Even though I am a sci-fi fan, these types of model's never appealed to me, until I thought...if you lit one up with LED's, that world look cool cruising over the neighborhood at night. Just mask the electric whine of the motors with a loop of warp engine sfx..that could be fun!
Nov 10, 2015, 06:37 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Well guys just finished reading the thread! Can some tell me why the edf isn't in the bottom?
Inline with the nacelles-erons lol... thanks Bob!
I love that one. Half way through the thread I'm thinking 'let the whole thing pivot! '
but control wise, with the cf rod in a sleve hinge idea, is the best chance I think.
I'm not confident the body will produce lift because in profile shot it looks like the Aero foil is backwards?

So where's the cg? Or is that the Golden question.
Nov 10, 2015, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
I'm not confident the body will produce lift because in profile shot it looks like the Aero foil is backwards?
It's not so much that as it is the very high thickness-to-chord ratio of the center of the disk. That and the very bulbous rear-belly (don't know what else to call it) are going to mean huge drag.
I think that's why SGTalon's profile version (see below) was a good flier - because he eliminated this issue by making it profile only. He also gained tons of useful lifting surface in the rear by doing so and thus ALSO made balancing much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
So where's the cg? Or is that the Golden question.
If you make it profile only it will be relatively straightforward (though tedious) to calculate CG, as it will be obvious which parts are lifting surfaces. Leaving it "true-to-scale" will make it much harder to determine.

Having said all of the above, it can definitely be done as "true-to-scale", but you will need a LOT of thrust, stall speed will be higher, and getting CG right will be challenging.

SGTalon's version:

RC Star Trek Voyager (4 min 43 sec)

Quick Reply