Mar 11, 2015, 11:39 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2011
Lockey,

Would it work with a centrally mounted aperture prop like the parkjets? It would be noisier but would help with the balance. Maybe a little bigger prop and lower KV?

David
Thanks for the thought David, but this would move the motor (and the weight) back more and make balancing even harder

I need more weight at the front and less weight at the back

thanks again mate for your input

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 12, 2015 at 04:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2015, 04:17 AM
Thread OP
More work on the Voyager today, think I have the elevons worked out for maximum results, had to modify the rear fuselage a little

Lockey
Mar 12, 2015, 05:03 AM
Looks good.
Word of caution: Whatever shaft those mojos are going to be rotating on will have to be VERY strong and VERY rigid.
Mar 12, 2015, 05:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Word of caution: Whatever shaft those mojos are going to be rotating on will have to be VERY strong and VERY rigid.
Not an easy trick Nuteman without adding a LOT of weight that I can barley afford

I was thinking red parts fixed and braced with CF tube as you suggested and hinged elevons rather than FULL flying elevons

Lockey
Mar 12, 2015, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
I was thinking red parts fixed and braced with CF tube as you suggested and hinged elevons rather than FULL flying elevons
It is definitely the safer/easier way to proceed (and as you pointed out - less costly in weight).
Also, I strongly urge flattening those nacelles (yes, despite the cost in "looks"). You will have a LOT of rotating mass already - Sir Newton says that will have certain consequences
Mar 12, 2015, 06:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
It is definitely the safer/easier way to proceed (and as you pointed out - less costly in weight).
Also, I strongly urge flattening those nacelles (yes, despite the cost in "looks"). You will have a LOT of rotating mass already - Sir Newton says that will have certain consequences
OK, I will go with profile type nacelles ... initially

Lockey
Mar 12, 2015, 06:38 AM
Damn, I envy you man!
The most I've had time for in the last few weeks is to put landing gear on my 65 inch span canard.
Oh well, maybe I'll have more time when I retire
Mar 12, 2015, 07:37 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Very Nice! I like the idea of the moving nacelles and using them as your elevon aerodynamic counterbalances.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Mar 12, 2015, 08:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Oh well, maybe I'll have more time when I retire
Thats a BIG nuteman, although i don't know what I would do without a hobby

Thanks Mike, all we have to do now is see if it works eh

I am thinking ... 6 mm Depron for all the flat parts and foam board (without the paper) or MPF for the bendy bits

This is the motor I am thinking of using, it should have plenty of humph and its quite a heavy motor to help with the CG and it will run on either 3's or 4's battery

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21480

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 12, 2015 at 08:36 AM.
Mar 12, 2015, 11:42 AM
DFS#000178
It'd be neat to get a bunch of these together.

NCC 74600 Intrepid
NCC 74656 Voyager
NCC 74705 Bellerophon

Are the three known ships of the line. It'd be kinda' cool to have all 3 of them in the same place at the same time.
Mar 13, 2015, 11:55 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
2 carbon rods one inside the other acting as hinges for the control surfaces should be enough i ran a twin edf mig with the same for nearly 2 years without issue , only reason its not still flying is Spektrum receivers and some knob with a dodgy router somewhere at the back of the flying field
Mar 13, 2015, 06:07 PM
Hi Lockey,

not quite sure if it would effect the stability of the ship, but would it help to put some dihedral in your nacelles and use it as v tail?
Mar 13, 2015, 07:22 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the CF rod idea scouse, although I think it would be rather difficult to get one CF rod inside another CF rod ... think you might mean CF rod inside a CF tube ... sorry scouse, had to do it ... one pome to another or should I say ... one Yorkshire lad to another OR are you a Scouse pretending to be a Yorkshire lad ?

I am not sure about having dihedral on the nacelles SG, maybe nuteman might want to comment ?

By the way, I have the plans / patterns almost finished ... anyone like to have a crack at building and testing it with me ?

Lockey

PS. SGTalon, I have sent you a PM
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 13, 2015 at 09:56 PM.
Mar 13, 2015, 10:24 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
The dihedral on the nacelles has no effect that I am able to tell. I think it looks cool though.
Mar 13, 2015, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
Thanks SG, I think I might just go with the straight ones first and see how we go

I am also back playing with the EDF version and will go with the EDF IF the prop version flies good

Is this duct now too far down or will it work ?? ... it would be better if it can be here as it will help with the positioning of the duct and make the thrust vectoring work better as it will be in the centre of the elevons

Lockey

Quick Reply