Mar 11, 2015, 09:06 AM
Gravity is my enemy
Hey Locky, Here's an "outside the box" thought... Since you are leaning Tractor prop, why not put your 2 servos on the motor instead of using any control surfaces? Front end thrust vectoring like I've seen on some kites. The body then stays perfectly represented.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2015, 09:46 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Thanks Guys ... I just LOVE your "outside the box" thoughts and ideas

Hows this for an idea ... use the whole tail end, including the nacelles (full flying elevons) if left open, the square nacelles would surely work as dual surfaces similar to biplane wings giving more surface area ... YES ... NO ??

Bandit ... as nuteman said earlier, good idea BUT what happens if you loose power .. NO STEERING

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 11, 2015 at 09:59 AM.
Mar 11, 2015, 09:54 AM
Gravity is my enemy

"I don't know how much more she can take captain"

[Bandit ... as nuteman said earlier, good idea BUT what happens if you loose power .. NO STEERING

Lockey[/QUOTE]

There you go M8! Cool idea with the tail. My idea should work fine, this is star trek after all.. with Scotty on board it would never run out of power! lol
Mar 11, 2015, 09:55 AM
Gravity is my enemy
caviat: I know, it's not the enterprise
Mar 11, 2015, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon Bandit
caviat: I know, it's not the enterprise
Too right mate, as you know the Voyager was captained by Kathryn Janeway and not real sure who was the chief engineer (Scotty's job) on the Voyager ... Enterprise was my time frame from way back, didn't much like the ones after, although didn't mind Captain Jean-Luc Picard on the later Enterprise ... but the best looking ship I think was the Voyager

Lockey
Mar 11, 2015, 12:35 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Belanna Torres ( spelling ) after the wormhole etc...... That all moving nacelle is a sweet idea
Mar 11, 2015, 12:52 PM
The engineer was b'elanna torres (klingon woman). Your latest solution, should give you great control.... If it works.
I do have some 50mm edf here , maybe i scale it down and try it
Mar 11, 2015, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Hows this for an idea ... use the whole tail end, including the nacelles (full flying elevons) if left open, the square nacelles would surely work as dual surfaces similar to biplane wings giving more surface area ... YES ... NO ??
Will it "work" (at least to some degree)? Yes, it will.
Will it work well? Not so clear.
Those nacelles are far from flat surfaces, so they might cause all sorts of havoc. Flattening the nacelles would be a huge improvement for that approach.
Mar 11, 2015, 01:42 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Digital stabilizer , you could stick water melon back there and it would still fly , well maybe not a water melon.
Mar 11, 2015, 02:03 PM
Gravity is my enemy
at least a tribble or two..
Mar 11, 2015, 02:23 PM
AMA 353531
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
It certainly does not have to be straight. Just look at the exhaust ducts for the Harrier
Will you loose a bit of thrust due to the bend? Yes, but not a whole lot.
Wow you guys move quick..

Lots of guys do curvy intake and exhaust paths to model twin jets with single turbines or fans. Just a matter of keeping it smooth and keeping the area changes small. (Its easier when you have power to burn...)
Mar 11, 2015, 07:28 PM
skumgummi dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
I have decided to look at using a tractor prop arrangement in favor of the EDF

Lockey
I like where you are going with this now Lockey. Also your idea of the full flying tail sounds superb!

Dave-
Mar 11, 2015, 09:33 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Ok, the only thing that concerns me about the Full Fuse Voyager is the lack of Ailerons. When I was flying mine with just elevator and ailerons is was not good. When I added the elevons it turned it the best flying plane I have designed.

If you are going to do it, I think the full flying rear end is the way to go. Take the whole thing, pivot it in the middle as elevons. Anything less than that is probably going to be ineffective. From a proportion standpoint, it looks pretty good that way.

I like the idea of working out the EDF long tube all the way to the back. The Voyager is one of the few Trek ships that would be good for it. Tons of people have suggested doing the EDF thing, be cool to see it work.
Mar 11, 2015, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Thanks again guys for all your ideas and input and thanks again for your feedback SG

Yes, I have converted the Tempest to the way you have on your Voyager (elevons and ailerons mixed) and it is not very responsive, in fact a little too much, I had to drop the ailerons down to low rates

I will go with the tractor motor / prop first I think as it will give more options (motor /prop battery sizes etc) and it will be a lot quieter, it will also have the added benefit of the prop-wash over the surfaces ... I fly on a local park and the EDF's do get a little noisy

I am still worried about the tail end weight with the built up fuselage and problems balancing ... but hey ... won't know till I try

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 11, 2015 at 10:37 PM.
Mar 11, 2015, 11:27 PM
Lockey,

Would it work with a centrally mounted aperture prop like the parkjets? It would be noisier but would help with the balance. Maybe a little bigger prop and lower KV?

David

Quick Reply