May 18, 2020, 02:44 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Don't forget to set trim to counter the torque roll on launch.
At 935 grams, you will need a lot of power to hand launch.
This is a nice build - would be great to see it fly.
Good luck!
Didn't think the EDF had any torque roll really ??

Lockey
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2020, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Didn't think the EDF had any torque roll really ??

Lockey
Less than a prop of the same thrust for sure, but could be a fair amount depending on the EDF design and overall weight. A heavy EDF, poorly designed might get some noticeable torque roll, even if only based on conservation of angular momentum.
May 18, 2020, 11:51 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
EDFs can have a lot of torque roll. It's most evident when you hand-launch and the plane isn't flying fast enough for effective aileron control. ROG you wouldn't notice.

In this case, though, I'm not sure it'll be a problem. The model is large compared to the EDF. And it doesn't appear to need to be flying very fast before the control surfaces become effective.
May 19, 2020, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
EDFs can have a lot of torque roll. It's most evident when you hand-launch and the plane isn't flying fast enough for effective aileron control.
Yes, that's the most typical scenario.

Quote:
In this case, though, I'm not sure it'll be a problem. The model is large compared to the EDF. And it doesn't appear to need to be flying very fast before the control surfaces become effective.
I think the videos of glide were not with AUW. At the projected AUW of 935 grams and with all the stucture fore of the control surfaces, likely that thing will need to be moving at a fair clip before those control surfaces kick in...
May 19, 2020, 01:53 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
I'm not sure 935g is really all that heavy. I'm in the US so it's easier for me to think in Pounds, This is 2 LBs. For its size, at least as far as my impression from the videos, I'm thinking that's pretty light. Double the weight, double the speed you have to fly. It flies at a crawl at its current weight, The AUW isn't 2x. I doubt it's going to have to fly much faster at its target weight. GIven how draggy it is, I'm not sure it can fly much faster.
May 19, 2020, 02:58 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure 935g is really all that heavy. I'm in the US so it's easier for me to think in Pounds, This is 2 LBs. For its size, at least as far as my impression from the videos, I'm thinking that's pretty light. Double the weight, double the speed you have to fly. It flies at a crawl at its current weight, The AUW isn't 2x. I doubt it's going to have to fly much faster at its target weight. GIven how draggy it is, I'm not sure it can fly much faster.
Yeah, it's not clear just how much of it's structure could be counted as lift generating. And there's the part that's leading me to be a bit skeptical. My 900 gram plane has probably double the "effective" wing area and is considerably less draggy - yet I've botched a hand launch or two.
Not saying this won't hand launch, just that it might be a tad on the challenging side.
Anyway, it would be great to see a vid of the initial attempts...
May 21, 2020, 07:23 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Hey guys!, in the end, it's down one moment, when you pluck up the courage with a deep breath, raise up the throttle stick, lean back and throw. ........
Weeks worth of design and beauty, launch into the air.
For the next 3mil milliseconds nothing else exists, slow motion.
Both hands react, as the pilot watches the craft's every move.
Hard cruel ground awaits.
Dumb thumbs.
Reversed channel.
Guys of wind.
Poor throw.
Wrong design.
Can all be the death of an experimental design...
Don't ask me how I know ����

Good luck! Can't wait to see it fly...
May 21, 2020, 07:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Hey guys!, in the end, it's down one moment, when you pluck up the courage with a deep breath, raise up the throttle stick, lean back and throw. ........
Weeks worth of design and beauty, launch into the air.
For the next 3mil milliseconds nothing else exists, slow motion.
Both hands react, as the pilot watches the craft's every move.
Hard cruel ground awaits.
Dumb thumbs.
Reversed channel.
Guys of wind.
Poor throw.
Wrong design.
Can all be the death of an experimental design...
Don't ask me how I know ����

Good luck! Can't wait to see it fly...
So right Duke .. I see you have changed tor wording under your name to "Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!" didnt it used to say something like ... Build, Fly, Crash,Repair ... Repeat ... you must be feeling more confident these days

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; May 21, 2020 at 07:51 PM.
May 23, 2020, 04:26 PM
Still waiting for my Servos to arrive ( i hate corona)
I do have some 9g plastic gear servos.... maybe i install them instead.

Should I get this lady to fly, lockey has to design a USS Enterprise that fits the size.
May 23, 2020, 07:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianG.
Still waiting for my Servos to arrive ( i hate corona)
I do have some 9g plastic gear servos.... maybe i install them instead.

Should I get this lady to fly, lockey has to design a USS Enterprise that fits the size.
Sebastian, I use the plastic gear 9 gr8 servos all the time .. go for it mate

Lockey
May 24, 2020, 04:47 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Hey Lockey, hope your safe with storm mate.
May 24, 2020, 06:48 AM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t#post43241095

Hello Voyager,Here is Enterprise,wish to see you flight/1
Jun 01, 2020, 11:14 PM
Hey Sebastian,

What ever became of your Voyager?
Have you attempted a powered maiden flight yet?
Yesterday, 07:54 AM
Hello Nuteman,

Not yet. I will try to this week.
Life is too busy at the moment.

Quick Reply