Mar 10, 2015, 07:25 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Discussion

Star-Trek Voyager

Thinking of doing a "scale - ish" Voyager (full bodied) ... basic drawing started

Thinking EDF, would have liked to put the EDF in the bottom pod but it will be hard enough to balance with it as far up front a possible, this will pose problems too though with the outlet coming out mid fuselage

Can anyone tell me if the outlet / exhaust of an EDF needs to be straight in line with the fan ?

Please comment and any help or advice always welcome

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 10, 2015 at 08:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2015, 07:50 AM
When cows fly!

Nice!

Looking forward to seeing this one fly!
Mar 10, 2015, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
Can anyone tell me if the exhaust duct HAS to be straight ... in line with the fan or can be be as shown in the pics ?

Lockey
Mar 10, 2015, 09:24 AM
Gravity is my enemy
Locky, not fair! I haven't even started the Tempest yet and you thow the Voyager on the board?!? lol. You are going to start pulling all the trekkies out of the woodwork now!
Mar 10, 2015, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon Bandit
Locky, not fair! I haven't even started the Tempest yet and you thow the Voyager on the board?!? lol. You are going to start pulling all the trekkies out of the woodwork now!
Still testing the Tempest mate, in fact I flew her again today, video should be up now

Lockey
Mar 10, 2015, 10:13 AM
Hi Lockey,

I love your airplanes and i do love star Trek . If this thing is going to fly, i will put on my loooooonnnggggg List.

One question: why do you put the edf in the Head? Maybe it is better to put it in the Body. This way you have a straight exhaust
Last edited by SebastianG.; Mar 10, 2015 at 10:33 AM.
Mar 10, 2015, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Can anyone tell me if the exhaust duct HAS to be straight ... in line with the fan or can be be as shown in the pics ?

Lockey
It certainly does not have to be straight. Just look at the exhaust ducts for the Harrier
Will you loose a bit of thrust due to the bend? Yes, but not a whole lot.
Mar 10, 2015, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
Thanks nuteman, that what I wanted to know

Quote:
One question: why do you put the edf in the Head? Maybe it is better to put it in the Body. This way you have a straight exhaust
Hi SebastianG, thanks for the question ... I would like to put it in the lower body / pod but it would put more weight towards the back and make balancing a lot harder

Lockey
Mar 10, 2015, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
A bit more refining ... still lots more work to do ... not sure how I am going to steer the damn thing yet

Sizes I am playing with are ... 530mm wing span (disc span) total length 1400 mm

Any great ideas SG ? can't do it as you did on yours ... may have to look at some king of thrust vectoring

By the way, anyone had any experience with flight stabilizers ? ... the orange type or others ?

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 10, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
Mar 11, 2015, 04:32 AM
Well, purely from an aspect ratio perspective it reminds me of your Blackbirdy.
Sooo....
I would hang huge elevons off the rear most part of the plane (which worked out nicely for your Balckbirdy )
Regarding thrust vectoring: If you rely on that for the sole means of controlling aircraft orientation, then what will you do when you lose power?
Mar 11, 2015, 04:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Well, purely from an aspect ratio perspective it reminds me of your Blackbirdy.
Sooo....
I would hang huge elevons off the rear most part of the plane (which worked out nicely for your Balckbirdy )
Regarding thrust vectoring: If you rely on that for the sole means of controlling aircraft orientation, then what will you do when you lose power?
You are so right Nuteman, although I don't know where I am going to get BIG elevons from on this one without totally spoiling the shape

Lockey
Mar 11, 2015, 04:57 AM
See picture below for what I would do.
The two black bars are CF tubes that reinforce the connection to the nacelles.
So now you're asking yourself: What the heck? That elevon is HUGE.
My answer: Exactly. Something I've said again and again: Better to have a large control surface move a little than a small control surface move a lot.
You have your Blackbirdy as proof of this.
Mar 11, 2015, 05:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
See picture below for what I would do.
The two black bars are CF tubes that reinforce the connection to the nacelles.
So now you're asking yourself: What the heck? That elevon is HUGE.
My answer: Exactly. Something I've said again and again: Better to have a large control surface move a little than a small control surface move a lot.
You have your Blackbirdy as proof of this.

Thanks again nuteman, I value your input and I will certainly be doing this, or something very similar

I tested the Tempest this evening with just the elevons (no ailerons ... switchable ) and whilst they did turn it, it was very sluggish and probably would have been much worse at lower speeds (video on the Tempest thread soon)

Lockey
Mar 11, 2015, 07:36 AM
Thread OP
I have decided to look at using a tractor prop arrangement in favor of the EDF

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 11, 2015 at 07:46 AM.
Mar 11, 2015, 08:03 AM
Nuteman did a good advice.
If you want to go the fancy way, put Servos in your nacelles an use the top as some kind of spoiler to turn the ship.

Quick Reply