Mar 08, 2015, 06:16 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Thread OP
Build Log

BAe Hawk, full fuselage depron pusher

My latest parkjet design....

Hawk Parkjet Maiden (3 min 23 sec)

It has completed flight testing, and my plans are published on my blog home page (design no 5) :-

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=435614
Last edited by Clickety; Jun 04, 2016 at 12:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2015, 07:49 PM
Another nice plane.good job friend,do you have the plans? please.

Carlos B.
Mar 09, 2015, 01:25 AM
Thread OP
Hi Carlos, thanks buddy. yes I'll upload the plans. They are not quite finished yet.
Mar 09, 2015, 07:37 AM
michigan jet guy
been looking foward to this one. Phil
Mar 09, 2015, 10:26 AM
Traxxas.... !!!CONFORM!!!
Oooooohhh... looks like there is room for an edf. What is the wingspan and auw?
Mar 09, 2015, 01:26 PM
Thread OP
The plans are on my blog - simply click on my name to the left.

Wingspan 800mm, weight to follow....

you could fit a 50-55mm edf in, with a thrust tube to 45mm at the exit without too much trouble.
Last edited by Clickety; Jun 04, 2016 at 05:37 AM.
Mar 09, 2015, 07:58 PM
Thank you for the plans my friend.beautiful Red Arrow.
May 18, 2015, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Ok, I asked Steve Shumate on his take on the handling issues, and he was super helpful, he suggested reducing the tailfin a little, so I did and lo and behold, it flies a treat! Was doing barrel rolls and loops galore! Very pleased! I will upload revised plans in due course, meanwhile if you take 8mm off the tailfin all around , it will work a treat!
May 18, 2015, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Next thing, I need to sand it into shape, add spackle and paint it RED!
May 24, 2015, 04:58 PM
Looking great! Nice to read you tackled the tip stall tendency. Looking forward to the revised plans. Meanwhile: could you share any details about the setup you flew it with? I see you've used a 30 YEP ESC. What motor and battery pack did you use?
May 25, 2015, 04:30 AM
Thread OP
Hi Robert,

I used a standard parkjet setup, 2212-6 2200v motor, 2200mah 3s battery and 30a ESC. The YEP speed controller was a first for me as I usually use hobbywing, I'm not sure its set up properly as it has a few wierd tendencies and noises I'm not that familiar with. I used a 6 x 4 sports prop.

I did notice that the plane has a bit of flutter on high speed passes, but I suspect that will be fixed with balsa leading edge pieces glued to the wings.

I'll upload new plans soon, but I want to see how it flies fully finished off first, I suspect I will gain 10% speed increases and further handling improvements.

This is where I get my motors from

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/catalog/...roducts_id=811

Cheers

Craig
May 25, 2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the information Craig, since I'm located in the EU I need to source the setup elsewhere so it's very useful to know kv, watts and other specs. I have multiple 3s 2200 packs and some spare servos and a 30 ESC laying around, so by only buying a motor and Depron I am good to go! Sounds tempting :-)

I'll let you know if I started building.

Thanks, Rob

Edit: I now see you're from England and shipment of BRC Hobbies is not much for small parts.. assumed you were from the States, could've known judging by the model only (and the intended colours scheme) ..
Last edited by roberthabraken; May 26, 2015 at 03:19 AM.
May 26, 2015, 07:54 AM
Thread OP
Hi Rob,

Hey please do let me know if you build one! I think the motors are easy to come by, simply type 2212/6 2000kv into google, and there are plenty of suppliers I think, perhaps some in Holland? I notice you are from Holland on your description.

Yes! I'm English! I fancied doing the Red Arrow Hawk, because although there are many things I dislike about my country, I am so proud of the Red Arrows Display team. They make me think of the good things of being English!

I have some good friends in Dokkum in Friesland, I really like the Dutch people and culture.

Cheers

Craig
May 26, 2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks Craig . I like the English culture too, although I haven't been in England that much.

The Hawk is one of my favourite jets, I really fancy the model (and most of all in the Red Arrows livery). Always wanted one and I still fancy a large Hawk one day when I'm up to it. Saw the Red Arrows last year again on the two yearly display days of the Dutch Air Force (I live next to Gilze Rijen Air Base), awesome! The English do have a lot of wonderful planes in their history by the way. The Lancaster, Spitfire, Avro Vulcan.. wouldn't mind having a hangar full of those .

I will order the one you suggested or maybe this one, although it's rated 40A it looks like it has the same specs: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Think I'm going to add balsa LE's and I'm still in doubt about a very simple lightweight landing gear (fixed), could be cool since we also have a concrete runway, but I can always land on the grass strip next to it.

Thanks for the kind info and suggestion, keep you posted!
May 26, 2015, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Hi Rob,

Tell me about it, I have a lancaster, Spitfire, and I'm planning to build a vulcan at some point too! lol!

The motor from hobby king is in my opinion not quite as nice as the one I suggested. I tried a couple, and thought they got a bit hot, and were about 90-95% as powerful. not much in it though.

hey great, put on the landing gear! please film it! would love to see it!

Cheers

Craig
May 27, 2015, 09:23 AM
Thanks Craig, I found the motor locally (BC2212-6 2200KV), now only to find a place where they have some genuine 6mm Depron in stock .

I still have a few questions though, if you don't mind:
- the motor is rated for 40A, are you sure 30A is safe? I did some calculations using eCalc and on a 6x4 prop it doesn't exceed that limit, but I'm not sure.
- what are the throws (and expo) you used on elevator and ailerons?
- do you mind sharing the new rudder drawing (maybe via a PM?), because I want to order a set of plotted plans and it would be cool if I don't have to alter those manually. I could import the plans in TurboCad and alter them myself, but I figured if you already have the source.. one can always ask .
Last edited by roberthabraken; May 27, 2015 at 09:32 AM.
May 27, 2015, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
Hi Rob,

I've been fitting this motor / esc combo to my parkjets for the last 3 years, and never had a problem. I think max current draw is 28A. Most 30A ESC's can handle a 40A burst, so its well within the limit.

Regarding the throws, I'm still refining them, but I can measure them for you.

Expo is 40%

I'll update the vertical stabiliser on my plans and upload the plans afresh for you. I'll get back to you as soon as I can...
May 27, 2015, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Hi Rob,

The revised plans on my blog will work fine now.

Cheers

Craig
Last edited by Clickety; Jun 04, 2016 at 05:38 AM.
May 27, 2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks a lot Craig, that's very kind of you!

Good to know about the ESC, going to order some stuff now
Jun 02, 2015, 03:17 PM
Hi Craig, I've got all the hardware and depron I need and the plotted drawings on A0+ arrived yesterday, so I'm currently cutting the paper templates!

I noticed the center piece of the nose cone is a little bit shorter (on the back) than the others, but I cannot relate that to the photographs you've posted. Can you enlighten me

I also see you didn't use the outer pieces of the nose cone yourself. I think in width they may be better cut from 3 mm, right?

Ps.: it's a very nice size btw! I imagined it would be smaller, but I very much like the size of it looking at the templates.
Last edited by roberthabraken; Jun 02, 2015 at 03:41 PM.
Jun 02, 2015, 04:17 PM
Thread OP
Hi Robert, so pleased you are enjoying the design. The nosecone is shorter only due to error and should be the same as the others. The plans are at beta stage until the design is proven, so there may be one or two idiosyncrasies to discover. The outside nosecone parts would be fine as 3mm or 6mm sanded down, either way is good! I haven't finished my hawk yet and will add them and sand them to shape before painting. Hope this has answered your questions! Cheers. Craig
Jun 02, 2015, 04:22 PM
Thanks Craig! That indeed answered my questions . You have confirmed my assumptions, but I'm of the check-everything-twice type category (and a bit of a slow builder too maybe).

Looking forward to your finished plane! Once I have something to share I will,
Jun 03, 2015, 02:12 AM
Thread OP
Thats the best way to be! Think twice-act once!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to finishing the Hawk too, its just I've moved house recently and my workshop is not fully set up yet
Jun 04, 2015, 05:03 PM
I understand, well don't worry I won't catch up on you

I spent one evening cutting all the paper templates and tonight I started cutting the depron... wow that's a serious amount of parts! Got to 17 pieces out of 50, still a lot to do!
Last edited by roberthabraken; Jun 04, 2015 at 05:49 PM.
Jun 05, 2015, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
Hey Robert, You catch up all you want! Its not a problem at all

Yeah the cutting is a pain, the least enjoyable part of building for me, I've cut out manually for years, but recently I have made friends with a fellow aeromodeller with a CNC machine that has made my life SO much easier!

Keep Cutting!
Jun 06, 2015, 07:13 PM
Ah.. CNC that makes life a lot easier indeed! But I'm enjoying myself. At 60% of all the cutting right now. I also glued in the wing spar (thick-walled 6 mm carbon rod) and inset the balsa leading edges, hope to get some extra strength and durability of the wing on landings.

Got a few questions for you by the way, again :
- Could you tell a bit more about the 'table bending technique' you referred too? Or point me towards a tutorial? I'm mainly working with balsa and never bent depron. I can find some tutorials, but not specific ones referring to t he same technique.
- Why did you inset the servo's in the main wing? I think they are equally strong when mounted on top of the wing surface and doing so it wouldn't compromise the structural strength of the wing.

Cut parts on the left and the wing cut and ready for its spars:

Close up of carbon main spar and balsa leading edge:

Last edited by roberthabraken; Jun 06, 2015 at 07:23 PM.
Jun 07, 2015, 03:04 AM
Thread OP
Looking good!

I set the servos into the wing to simply reduce aerodynamic drag. They are within the fuselage so the wing has lots of support - I didn't pick up any adverse effects on mine.
Jun 07, 2015, 03:10 AM
Thread OP
The bending technique was one I discovered playing with depron. It works on the same principle as making decorative ribbon curly, using an edge of a table, drag the depron over , pressing the one side down firmly on the table, and bending the free edge down a little. Do this a few times to put curves in.

Alternatively, use a heat gun and apply gentle pressure until it holds the shape you want.

Either way requires practice on scrap depron first!
Jun 08, 2015, 05:49 AM
Thanks for your answers! I will practice the table bending technique, "decorative ribbon curly" is a nice explanation .
Jun 10, 2015, 03:56 PM
I've cut all parts but the canopy and the 3 mm parts.. and tonight, when I wanted to start cutting the canopy I noticed it says 2x5 pieces, but I count like 7 pieces, but I only see 6 pieces in your photographs . I figured you didn't use the 7th piece yourself (or do you still plan to? and would this be a 3 mm piece too?) and that the plan just has the wrong part count. So I'll start with 2x6 pieces. Right?

Quick Reply