Micro Quad Racing Gate - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Vantasstic, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 08, 2015, 04:58 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Discussion

Micro Quad Racing Gate

Nothing special to see here. This is just to post a picture of an experimental micro quad racing gate.

Details:
Base: 2' long base legs from 1/2" PVC pipe with 10" upright (which comes off for transportation)
Gate: Collapsible fiberglass pup tent pole ~13 long (breaks down into 2' sections) I have three full length sections
Opening across bottom: 7'
Height to bottom of pool noddle" 53"
Used rubber straps and hooks to hold opening distance of the base. Parachute chord w/hooks would be better and lighter.
The gate is free standing, can use a couple of tent stakes to secure the front legs to prevent flip overs from, ummmm, 'copter strikes.
I should be able to get three full gates in the original tent carrying bag...no need for a big vehicle w/lots of carrying room

Grasshopper 300 hex hanging from top, center of opening for reference.

Cost:
Fiberglass poles: Free...already had them and haven't used the tent for 25+ years anyway
PVC tube: ~$2 for a 10' length...enough for 3 sets of stands
PVC T-fittings: ~$2 for 10ea...only need 6ea for three stands
Pool noodles ~$2 for two each from a dollar store
$13 for new elastic chord running inside the f/g tubes...the old chord was shot...after only two+ decades of non-use.
I'm thinking of cutting up the tent and use the nylon shell for the gate material vs pool noodles...lighter and folds up smaller.
Last edited by Vantasstic; Mar 08, 2015 at 07:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2015, 08:26 PM
Great idea Lee, I like it a lot. I think the tent material would be ideal; rip stop material would be even better. Let me know if you need a hand with anything; I'll probably order 4-6 of the golf type flags for the fiberglass rods you picked up yesterday. This way between your three gates and the fiberglass rods we should have a total of seven gates. It should make for some fun racing and test our skills or lack there of.
Mar 08, 2015, 10:09 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
The tent I got the poles from is rip stop nylon. I think I'll be able to hack...and I mean a real hack job, cutting up the tent to make as much use out of it as possible. On the up side, the upper material is a dirty white material with a dark blue base. I think about 6"-8" of material hanging below the 'hoop' will be visible enough...at least for attempt #1. Based on out flight tests I think I can the wife's family in the P.I. to have something made that'll look more professional.
Mar 08, 2015, 10:37 PM
http://youtube.com/c/Fastgixxe
It looks great! I like how it's free standing which makes it super easy to put up, take down, and move to configure the track. I'm sure two of those Harbor Freight poles would fit in the PVC base too.
Mar 09, 2015, 10:46 AM
I love the design, great job
Mar 09, 2015, 11:11 AM
I ordered up some of the flags this morning; we will see how they fit on the fiberglass rods when I get a chance to meet up with you Lee.
Mar 09, 2015, 07:04 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
I finished cutting up the 'tent' today. Pictured is my rough cut 'air gate' material. This one is ~7" in width. It seemed kinda short, so I cut the material for the two other gates o ~11" in width (not pictured). All that's left is to do is make the bases for the other two gates and make a rope spreader for all three gates. It ain't pretty, but we should be able to test functionality this coming weekend, weather/winds permitting.
Mar 09, 2015, 07:24 PM
I like it.
Mar 09, 2015, 11:28 PM
Holy crafty! Between all of us I think we can make a nice track.

I did three of these for a little over $11.
Mar 10, 2015, 02:46 AM
All right, I think we will have enough gates for two tracks. lol. Good job guys, I look forward to see your videos over the next couple of weekends.
Mar 10, 2015, 09:37 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastgixxerlv
Holy crafty! Between all of us I think we can make a nice track.

I did three of these for a little over $11.
What'd you use for your tube? Painted PVC or a really, really, really long hula hoop?
Mar 10, 2015, 01:46 PM
I have no idea what it is... Went with the wife to Home Depot and saw this flexable tube 10 feet for $3 and half inch PVC into the ground.

The flexable tube came in white, blue, black, and red.
Mar 10, 2015, 05:08 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
I think we're going to have plenty of gates of varying sizes. The hula hoops were to small though...but a good challenge...especially at high speed.
Mar 13, 2015, 02:47 PM
vrfpvflyer

Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Nothing special to see here. This is just to post a picture of an experimental micro quad racing gate.

Details:
Base: 2' long base legs from 1/2" PVC pipe with 10" upright (which comes off for transportation)
Gate: Collapsible fiberglass pup tent pole ~13 long (breaks down into 2' sections) I have three full length sections
Opening across bottom: 7'
Height to bottom of pool noddle" 53"
Used rubber straps and hooks to hold opening distance of the base. Parachute chord w/hooks would be better and lighter.
The gate is free standing, can use a couple of tent stakes to secure the front legs to prevent flip overs from, ummmm, 'copter strikes.
I should be able to get three full gates in the original tent carrying bag...no need for a big vehicle w/lots of carrying room

Grasshopper 300 hex hanging from top, center of opening for reference.

Cost:
Fiberglass poles: Free...already had them and haven't used the tent for 25+ years anyway
PVC tube: ~$2 for a 10' length...enough for 3 sets of stands
PVC T-fittings: ~$2 for 10ea...only need 6ea for three stands
Pool noodles ~$2 for two each from a dollar store
$13 for new elastic chord running inside the f/g tubes...the old chord was shot...after only two+ decades of non-use.
I'm thinking of cutting up the tent and use the nylon shell for the gate material vs pool noodles...lighter and folds up smaller.

Additional fun to FPV.
Mar 15, 2015, 05:28 AM
I went on Ebay and purchased some fiberglass tent poles. I'm going to try to make a few of these.