Apr 08, 2015, 10:14 AM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Paul, there are only a few of these boats in that harbor and their only job is to handle all types of lines and rope, the possibility of a rope in the water getting in the prop is high so the guards help keep the rope from screwing up the day.
Tim you beat me to it with your post. I was going to ask about the ring's purpose. Do any of the 1:1's have a cage around the wheel? Some lobster boats carry such a modification.

...the possibility of a rope in the water getting in the prop is high ... Not much fun to go over the rail to clear a fouled wheel. After looking more closely at the struts, I figure they serve as a cage.

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2015, 10:59 AM
Thread OP

Protective cage

Howdy Chumm, these 1:1's sure have them as it seems other types ~

I can sure understand it on the log Tugs, working in a log corral full of debris it must be a necessecity.
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Apr 08, 2015, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Doesn't the tube just fold ( collapse ) when you bend it at the turns ?
I was watching a program about making a trombone ,they filled the tube with water and froze it so it wouldn't collapse when they bent it.
Apr 08, 2015, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Sounds like you gotta work fast .....
Apr 08, 2015, 02:46 PM
Thread OP

Patience pays off ( sometimes )

Interesting, while searching "Mooring Tug" I came across an old post from 3+ years ago, a guy in Germany had scratch built one of these ( Tug #1 ), it's been this whole time that I have been wanting one it seems, and now there is a kit !

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1746657
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 11, 2016 at 01:56 PM.
Apr 08, 2015, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Here is his video:

Mooring Tug II.wmv (5 min 2 sec)
Apr 08, 2015, 05:22 PM
Great looking model. I do like what you've done with your prop. Gives it that little extra touch.

Apr 08, 2015, 06:01 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Quote:
Howdy Chumm, these 1:1's sure have them as it seems other types ~

I can sure understand it on the log Tugs, working in a log corral full of debris it must be a necessecity.
Yeah. When you hear that loud THUNK you draw straws to pick out who looks into the bilge to see if you are sinking. Have a story about such an event in a 1:1 sport fish.
Apr 08, 2015, 09:11 PM
Wow, just awesome !
Looks like a beast , nice.
Apr 08, 2015, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
Paul, that model is built by some guys in the North West as are these others ~

Some by Ron Burchett himself, and our friend Al Mason ...

If you like Tugs and have a spare 8 or 10 hours, look through this amazing blog:

http://fremonttugboat.com/blog/2012/05/
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 11, 2016 at 01:56 PM.
Apr 09, 2015, 08:03 AM
Nice pictures and a lot of fun to look at!
Apr 13, 2015, 06:52 PM
Thread OP

German company

Sort of an update:

Today the last ( yeah right ) of the kits from Modellbau Sievers arrived, a nice big Damen StanTug 1907.

http://www.modellbau-sievers.de/Start/links.html

The box left Germany last Thursday by UPS, here at my door in USA by 9:00 AM.

BIG box, only about $50.00 to ship, insurance included.

About $350.00 on the money with shipping, Now is a Good time to buy things that are sold in Euros ( that may be about to change ).

As were the others from this guy, the hull is flawless, scuppers are defined, cooling strips on the bottom too.

Brass stuffing box liners are cast into the hull ( the quality sealed Graupner boxes fit just right in the brass liners ).

Parts are milled, already to put together, has "windows" and frames, full fitting sets, Graupner tires, rudders, rudder tubes, props, Kort nozzles with an alignment fixture, decals, deck support material, winch kit, gratings, brass etched detail parts, milled deck and More.

About the only things left needed are motors and a steering servo.

Of course the stash of kits is growing, but after seeing the quality and value of this guy's kits combined with the exchange rate it was clear what to do.
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 11, 2016 at 01:57 PM.
Apr 13, 2015, 07:04 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Nice! Almost looks like you could throw a tube of glue in the box and shake it...
Apr 13, 2015, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
As they say, "the price is Right !"

Some outfits want half the cost here just for a hull Before shipping ...
Apr 14, 2015, 08:11 AM
Nice kit Tim. Got me thinking . . .

Next build ??

Quick Reply