Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 10, 2015, 07:40 PM
Thanks Jim ........
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 11, 2016 at 02:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2015, 07:43 PM
---o-O-o---
The brass in this kit is solid, not tubing, so I am thinking it might have to be drilled and pinned with thin brass wire and then silver soldered. I am going to attempt to make a jig this weekend to hold it all in alignment, I'll let you know how I make out, Tim.
Mar 10, 2015, 07:46 PM
RCTugger
Am following your build Tim. I had thought of building one of these and using an old Dumas Osprey kit that is sitting on one of my shelves somewhere as the starting point.
Dave
Mar 10, 2015, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh
The brass in this kit is solid, not tubing, so I am thinking it might have to be drilled and pinned with thin brass wire and then silver soldered. I am going to attempt to make a jig this weekend to hold it all in alignment, I'll let you know how I make out, Tim.

Yesssssssss !

I will send you a Beer.
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 08, 2016 at 12:04 PM.
Mar 10, 2015, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctugger
Am following your build Tim. I had thought of building one of these and using an old Dumas Osprey kit that is sitting on one of my shelves somewhere as the starting point.
Dave
Perhaps the steeply raked bow line of the Osprey would adapt well to the Other Mooring Tug ( Festmacher) .....

Plans are for sale from Sievers.
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 08, 2016 at 12:04 PM.
Mar 28, 2015, 03:55 PM

Update

An update :

After so many weeks, not as much done as I would like, but some progress nonetheless ~

A cradle is made, washport and mooring eye detail started, the sealed stuffing box provided with the kit is bonded inside the brass liner that comes cast into the hull, the rudder tube ( also provided along with rudder ) has been installed, deck supports are in, servo rack is in and servo mounted and tested for freedom of movement.

Motor, prop, servo, coupling and adjustable servo rod all came from Harbor Models ( one stop model boat shopping at it's best ).

Motor mount put in after the stuffing box was set, a telescoping alignment tube was used to align the motor and shaft to minimize friction and noise.

A brass skeg support was made since the fragile skeg tip snapped off right away during hull prep ~

This works out as an advantage as now the rudder or prop can be removed if needed for service.

The bolt holes for the mooring eyes were drilled out, miniature scale brass bolts will be put through here ( bolts from Scalefasteners.com ).

The decks and deckhouse are mounted temporarily to see how things fit.

The operator cab parts were all milled individually and came in a zip lock, NO trimming was needed for a clean fit, I have Never had anything go together without at least Some trimming, this manufacturer is Highly recommended ( since started this kit I have bought yet another kit of a different boat, same Killer quality ! )...

Gotta pick it up, summer is coming !
Mar 28, 2015, 04:15 PM
A bona fide update.!

Looks like another great start Tim. As always nice clean work.
Mar 28, 2015, 04:45 PM
Mar 28, 2015, 04:53 PM
Almost time to start selecting paint ...
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 11, 2016 at 02:22 PM.
Mar 28, 2015, 05:42 PM
no such thing as to many boats
Ah painting now it will start to look like a boat the orange is not that bad of a color will stand out on the water .
Mar 28, 2015, 10:30 PM
Looking good. That is a top quality fiberglass hull with lots of detail.

Ed
Mar 28, 2015, 11:48 PM

Ack!

I'm surprised I didn't see this earlier! Nice model! I remember seeing mooring tugs when we were on a cruise ship down in Central America about 15 years ago. The boats would come out and gather a bunch of line, then scurry back to the dock to hand it off. Our more recent cruise down that way was on a ship that had azipods, and we were able to maneuver right up to the pier without assistance.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:04 AM
You will have a nice challenge with the cage with so many different angles.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:40 AM
A nice challenge indeed ~
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 11, 2016 at 01:33 PM.
Mar 29, 2015, 08:10 AM
Lot of water; some gets thin

Quick Reply