Mar 07, 2015, 04:15 AM
Build Log

Twin Otter-Ivan Pettigrew plans-600 Version

This is my new build log for my second scratch build project from Ivan Petteigrew plans.

I will use a whole bunch of balsa wood (and some ply), plenty white glue (and some epoxy), and lots of affordable electronics in order to match the airplane in the following photos.
I decided to start by selecting the end paint scheme before I start the plane so I have lots of documentation.
I plan to make a detailed scale project so I will spent quite some time for completion.
My previous project the PBY Catalina 100” WS took me 371 hours of work, but it was not a close to scale project.

I assume my new project will take at least 300 hours although it is a much simpler construction, just because I want to have more scale details.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2015, 04:38 AM

Lab ready for action

Just ready to start.
I got the plans, the woods, the glues, and the props.
Turnigy motors and ESCs on the way!
Mar 07, 2015, 04:43 AM

Arf vs scratch

My kids Alina (7) and son Elias (5) will assist by making all white glue applications.

In photo Elias first ARF and first scratch build project…
Mar 08, 2015, 01:37 PM

Fuselage sides

This is easier than correcting ARFs!
Mar 08, 2015, 01:46 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nice Ari , finally another Ivan build to follow.

i'll be watching with great interest.

Cheers,

Bart
Mar 08, 2015, 02:03 PM

Hi Bart

Thank you Bart!
Nice to have you watching my new project.
Greetings
Aris
Mar 08, 2015, 02:36 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
All the very best Ari, the Twin Otter seems to be a favourite among Ivan builders, and the ones I have seen fly very well indeed.

Build lightly!

Mike
Mar 08, 2015, 04:38 PM

Hi Mike

Welcome here Mike,

It is great to see you folks following my progress!
Mar 08, 2015, 06:33 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Nice project and color scheme...
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Mar 09, 2015, 04:59 AM
Portland Oregon
Greetings,

I will be following this build also as it is on of my favorite aircraft. Where did you get the plans from? Never mind I found Ivan's web site and sent hem an email.

Andre
Last edited by Andre Anderson; Mar 09, 2015 at 05:14 AM.
Mar 11, 2015, 07:48 AM
Thank you Dennis and Andre,

Welcome on my build log.

The plans I got from Ivan.

You will have to e-mail him and be patient.

On a rainy Sunday when he will not be able to fly his boats, he will reply!

These plans worth all the wait!!!
Mar 11, 2015, 06:42 PM
Which means "what" to me?
I'm most of the way through mine. Just have to finish the wings and do a lot of sanding. I'm going to save the brushed 600 motors and gear boxes for another build down the road and go brushless on my otter. Its a great build, I will be following along.
Mar 11, 2015, 07:32 PM
Mar 12, 2015, 02:48 PM
I built and flew the 600 size Otter for 3yrs, then moved it on to another flyer. A superb flyer, even when made a little heavier than Ivan's superlightweights. Knowing how I sometimes land, and insisting on 3 bladed props made for some reinforcements. At 8lb/2ozs RTF, it was still a graceful flyers with good abilities. I used a 3S system, 8800mah capacity, 2 -4240/900 motors spinning 12x8/3 blade EMP props. At 20%flaps, it would still slow down to 15 mph for landings, and my favorite thing was a 30 degree decent from 150 feet to 10 on approach and a main wheel touchdown! You love the plane. Good luck Doug B
Mar 12, 2015, 04:17 PM
There are some who call me....
Love build logs of Ivan's planes. I have started a collection of his plans, so someday I'll muster the nerve to try one. In the meantime, I'll enjoy watching yours take shape.

Quick Reply