May 31, 2004, 06:05 PM
Thread OP

Winch line? Parachute?

Hey guys, anyone have any recommendations/sources for winch line and parachutes? I need to replace the line on our club winch and am not sure whats out there. We fly built-ups, foamies and 3m moldies so I need a line that will work for a wide range of craft. Also need the parachute as well.

Thanks

Charlie Tasto
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2004, 02:19 AM
I use 170-pound braided nylon twine from Memphis Net and Twine:
http://gmocart.gmotion.com/store/mer...tebraidedseine

I've found you need to check new line for weak spots that arise from the change of spools during the manufacturing process. You can feel the thin spots as you run the line through your fingers. Cut them out and splice the line with a blood knot to preserve the strength.

I make my own lightweight chutes from ripstop available from the local Wal-Mart. All the commercial chutes I've seen are pretty heavy.

Roger
Jun 02, 2004, 01:21 AM
Here's some pictures of my homemade chute. The riser lines are very light and the launch tension is taken by the heavier line in the center. The cut edges of the ripstop are sealed with CA (one of the few things I use the junk for). A stainless steel thimble is used at the top instead of a split or solid ring. The purple insulation on the loop at the bottom keeps the line from getting frayed where it connects to the winch line.

The three photos show how I attach/remove the chute to the winch line without having to tie/untie anything.

Roger
Jun 02, 2004, 10:32 AM
What's wrong with heavy?
If you're looking for a first class parachute, one that's made of real parchute materials, made by a parchute manufacturer and is a smaller version of a "real" parachute, contact Mike Lachowski. These chutes have a netting on the shroud side that prevents them from inverting. Very strong and will last a loooong time. Available in many colors. They are a smaller version of the hand held "pilot" or "drogue" chute that a chutist holds in his hand and uses to open the main unit.

If you don't know how to contact Mike I bet you're not a real sailplane flier. But, if you really cant find his email address or website send me a personal message for it.

Dennis

Quick Reply