Mar 05, 2015, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

My Arrma Talion BLX 6S blah blah blah Review

Really enjoying my Talion so far, made a little video review showing how I modded the body posts to fit the body a bit better.

Enjoy!

Arrma Talion BLX 6S Review - 1/8 Scale 4x4 Truggy (7 min 50 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2015, 07:11 PM
Thread OP
Took my Arrma Talion out to the track today, got about an hour or track time in and enjoyed every second of it, ran 4S the entire day. The track is still being smoothed out, it has some rough areas, some jumps had a bit of a wonky launch on them, result was a few big hits to the front bumper and both wheels hitting a few walls but zero damage. Well, one of the pictures below you can see the chunk taken out of one of the A-Arms, but it's fine, i'm not replacing it.

The only issue I had was the deans connectors kept coming apart, I tried velcro'ing differently, but I believe it was my mistake as one of the ESC wires had come out of it's little clip and the servo arm was tugging on it I believe.

I didn't have any issues with the power switch turning off, so that was cool. The sexy body is perfect, no rips or tears. The tires were better than I thought, but definitely not going to be a good choice for race day.

I put the optional 15th pinion in the truck and checked the center diff... I'm not sure what kind of oil they put in it from the factory, but mine did have significant resistance, so I'm not too concerned about it for now. The screws that hold the center diff together were kind of loose though and some oil was leaking out, I tightened each of the 4 screws at least a quarter turn.

Anyway, next time I go, i'll take some video so you guys can watch my baby fly through the air! (and then most likely smash into a pipe or wall...haha)

Mar 07, 2015, 05:05 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Seems like a decent truck, and a vid would sure be nice, with or without crashes.
Mar 07, 2015, 06:35 AM
User Registered
That thing has it all. IMO, probably the best thing ARRMA has put out yet (just by looks alone). Now you are really spiking an interest with me as you post some actual driving time with the Talion. I'm looking forward to hearing the durability of the front CVDs, as that's my main concern with any 4wd truggy that will call my garage "home".
Mar 07, 2015, 11:22 AM
Good video. The Talion is a fantastic "TRUGGY". ;-)

BTW, this forum isn't big on ARRMA, so don't expect too much traffic on this thread. Not a slam on this forum, but it's just the facts. Enjoy!
Mar 07, 2015, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Just finished a full day at the track with the Talion and it was a blast. Really enjoyed the truck on 4S with the included 15t pinion. The temps were nice and warm but not hot on the ESC and motor, it was about 80 degrees out.

I also ran about 30 minutes of 6S on the track and I found it to be counter productive. My lap times were worse, my control was worse, the throttle sensitivity was rough and a smidge to much throttle and the back end would break loose and it was tough to recover. I will most likely sell my 2 3S packs and buy another 4S pack. I reallly enjoyed the 4S/15t on the 1/8 scale track. I am tempted to try a 16t pinion, I may end up giving it a shot, for just a bit more top end on the 2 straights.

The bad news is the truck didn't survive the entire day. Right about the time I was going to leave, the Talion servo stripped out. I noticed some unresponsive turning and brought it in, sure enough, the servo was making all kinds of fun noises. The Talion was definitely not subject to any weirdness, just standard driving stuff with zero other broken parts, so I believe this is a defect with the Servo and I will be trying to get warranty coverage with Arrma and will let you guys know how that goes.

The other issue I had was the back body hole broke through and the clip is forever lost to mother nature. I still had one good one and it had zero impact on the performance and operation for the entire day, it happened about 1/2 through the day. The rumor is someone dared (maybe double dog) me to do this jump off the track and I may have gone a bit too crazy with it.

I did take some video but haven't edited it yet, I might post it up a bit later. Just want to say how horrible I am at multi-tasking, while recording, even though the Sony HDR-AS100V was mounted directly to my transmitter, I my driving got 1000% worse just because I had to think about aiming the controller at the vehicle. Much respect to the guys out there that pull it off smoothly.

I also took my LC-EMB-MTH(Tacon Valor MT) and I believe folks were just as impressed with the MTH as they were with the Talion, I did front flips, back flips, even schooled some 1/10 scale on the oval track with my little 1/14 scale MT. Guys told me it's currently sold out on NitroRCX.com... so apparently, they really liked it enough to look it up. They asked me what spare parts I bought with it and I said zero, I've still yet to break ONE THING on this amazing truck. Roughly 50 packs through it.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Mar 08, 2015, 12:48 AM
Nice. I got about an hour of bashing with my typhon today. Things are so fun to drive
Mar 08, 2015, 01:54 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldDaMayo
I also took my LC-EMB-MTH(Tacon Valor MT) and I believe folks were just as impressed with the MTH as they were with the Talion, I did front flips, back flips, even schooled some 1/10 scale on the oval track with my little 1/14 scale MT. Guys told me it's currently sold out on NitroRCX.com... so apparently, they really liked it enough to look it up. They asked me what spare parts I bought with it and I said zero, I've still yet to break ONE THING on this amazing truck. Roughly 50 packs through it.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

I can imagine that, we have quite a few LC owners on this forum by now, as you can see in this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1985219

For me it's the car (I have a couple of the buggy version) that gets the most runtime, it may be a little smaller than the more common 1/10 or 1/8 scale, but very capable indeed.

As for the broken servo, it's usually a weak point on any RTR, but it won't hurt checking if there is a chance on warranty.
Mar 08, 2015, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
Here are the promised racing clips, just fyi, track was extremely dry and loose and I'm brand new to the layout and racing in general... why am i trying to justify my suckiness... I wear it proudly... haha.

Arrma Talion BLX Racing on 4S Lipo - All stock (2 min 47 sec)
Mar 19, 2015, 07:52 PM
Thread OP
Track layout was changed some, did some more laps today, the Talion is holding up super well, about 20 packs through it so far.

Arrma Talion 4s - Rescue Raceway - New Track Layout (4 min 55 sec)
Mar 25, 2015, 06:36 PM
Thread OP
Finally got some proper wheels/tires, they are used but in good shape, very light usage. Did a little test run outside my house, they are Pro-Line Calibers. Yes, i have too much toe-out right now, will adjust that soon, was kind of experimenting with the old wheels/tires.

Arrma Talion - Pro-Line Caliber Truggy 1/8 + crap drifting! (2 min 36 sec)
Mar 27, 2015, 04:06 PM
Thread OP
Took some video of battery testing yesterday, I think it went about how i expected... also running to new Pro-Line Calibers and i like them, but i'm not sure i love them.

Also, someone should have called BS on the Talion Weight I gave earlier... I have a very precise scale, but my early morning math skills are lacking... the truck actually weighs about 8.3 lbs *without* battery, so a little under 9lbs depending on battery weight, i believe mine are 1/3lb roughly.

Arrma Talion - Battery Test - Gforce 4S 5400mah 60C (16 min 3 sec)
Apr 03, 2015, 11:33 PM
Obsessed with the details.
I think ARRMA has found their niche with the 1/8 vehicle line up. From what I've read and viewed I can see three things that need attention to an otherwise excellent product line.

The first is to either start using actual Deans (not knock off "T" connectors) or the new Star plug to remedy the common disconnect issue.

Next, resolve the ESC failures, though they do seem to be hit or miss. This is a potential deal breaker for a lot of drivers and nobody wants to buy a car only to have the electronics give up the ghost, but the reports seem to show excellent customer service and warranty coverage.

Finally, IMHO, the battery box really should have a third, lateral strap to anchor the pack(s) solidly.

Thanks for your review.
Apr 04, 2015, 02:01 PM

body mounts

Possible fix for body mounts . I used the battery holders that came with the kit to make this .no drilling or change to the car.all it took was 6 bolts and nuts. then I drilled the holes in the end of the two battery holders to match the shock tower and body mounts . Then used the other one for across brace . it seems to be working good
Last edited by ron woodyard; Apr 04, 2015 at 03:09 PM.
Apr 06, 2015, 10:10 AM
Thread OP
Ron, that is awesome!!! Seems like a perfect solution.

Quick Reply