USS Minneapolis C-13 - Page 6 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 30, 2017, 07:03 AM
as of this morning, she's in a better stand and was given a light coat of white primer so all the portholes and hull "clutter" can get marked out..
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2017, 01:10 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
Like the stand- I need to build one of those. Hull is looking good!
Aug 30, 2017, 03:12 PM
resin filled about 125 3/16th eyelets for the portholes so they will be ready when needed..(this is the easy part)
Sep 01, 2017, 12:45 PM
using an ER16 collet holder that had been modified for my unimat's spindle, shaft threading using a wrench on the spindle nut is now easy!!! straight and true times three .. mounted the center prop and shaft in the lathe an checked the true of the stub.. fitted everything together for a test and to mark were the shafts will get cut for length.. all will get a good cleaning and then loctited for the final fit..
Sep 01, 2017, 03:35 PM
Awesome work as always. Don't know where you get the energy, I need some of it. Really nice, I like the Minneapolis seeing as that's basically my home city, the early versions are much more interesting shapewise, much harder to build, great work. Cap
Sep 02, 2017, 07:17 AM
Beautiful work, as usual. That is a barn door of a rudder, she should swing without any issues. It is interesting that the rudder support strut has a hole to allow shipping and un-shipping of the center shaft, and yet the rudder itself needs to be un-shipped to take advantage of that arrangement. I am guessing that removing the rudder is still easier than doing the same to the strut.
Sep 02, 2017, 12:37 PM
the ship did have a cutout in the rudder for shaft removal and about six pintle hinges, plus the strange short rudder post due to having the stern torpedo tube .. took a perfectly good hull and drilled about 50 holes in it. some of the port holes lined up with the sub-deck positioning wood stringers,, fabricated a custom guided cutter,, the guide rides in the hole while the teeth clean away the wood and resin drips..
Sep 06, 2017, 07:22 AM
started some of the deck structure work,, looking at some small sub-assemblies that can be worked on in the evenings.. made an acrylic form to build the wooden chart-house around, hoping this method will work better than built up wood, made around 3 of these for the Brooklyn and still wasn't happy with the final results..
Sep 09, 2017, 02:17 PM
two of the deck insert cut and fitted, working on the anchor landings on the forward deck so the deck can get fitted also.. then its planking and details....
Sep 11, 2017, 07:42 AM
got some wood on the charthouse, forward deck fitted
Sep 11, 2017, 01:48 PM
That is one fine looking vessel you got there captain. I like it.
Sep 11, 2017, 02:55 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
Looking sharp- love the chart house.
Sep 14, 2017, 07:35 AM
working on some more details, kind of starting from the ship's center and working to the edges,, getting a little better on the ladder rungs mounted to the stacks, one of these days I should build something that doesn't have these... chart house got some more details, assembled the Vector Cut "wheels" for the on deck aux. steering station
Sep 19, 2017, 03:41 PM
a little more stack work, some micro lathe work turning the tops, made around 9 to get 4 that looked well together.. by the time I turned the 9th one I could spin it out in about 4 minutes(the first one took twenty and it was scrapped) made lots of fine saw dust reducing 1/32 wood sheet stock down to 3/32nds wide planks for the decks.. less than a month to go..
Sep 20, 2017, 03:22 PM
did a little early morning micro-turning, except for some top frames,primer and paint the stacks are about done.. other parts starting to collect..