USS Minneapolis C-13 - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 13, 2017, 03:40 PM
it still needs lots of cleanup and the studs and nuts that will hold to two sections but the rudder and steering gear is completed,, less complicated than the last one I built and should be less fiddlely to work with.. someday I'll building these narrow torpedo stern beast..
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2017, 04:43 PM
a little more brass soldered in and some clean-up to make things look better, time to get the running gear in the hull..
Aug 14, 2017, 05:33 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
Wow- that's quite the rudder mechanism!
Aug 16, 2017, 06:19 PM
center shaft tube installed, getting the wing shafts strut in place.. removed the stack stock lay-up from the form, looks like it will make light strong stacks..
Aug 17, 2017, 12:07 PM
set the wing shaft tubes this morning using a new to me method, after cutting the holes in the hull I normally place small blocks, wedges and or spacers of some form to line everything up.. today small balsa blocks were hot glued to the hull in close to the correct spot, a blob of hot glue was added on top and the shaft tube was "bedded" in , holding the tube while turning the shaft to keep everything in the sweet-spot.. glue cooled holding tubes-shafts spin great,, started the JB welding of the tubes to the hull.. once cured and after some forward fiberglass tube supports have been added the hot glue will get removed..
Last edited by tghsmith; Aug 17, 2017 at 12:26 PM.
Aug 18, 2017, 02:24 PM
had to remake the stack stock, first one was to long(oops) I now have a 6" x 2" x 1- 3/8" stack section if it would help anyone.. I checked my Texas and New York plans, I'll be making stacks for them the same way.. decided to mock things up a bit to get a look at things to come..
Aug 23, 2017, 05:31 PM
mounted the rudder tube, used a universal coupler and a shaft collar to help keep everything aligned while the epoxy set.. some soft wax around the shaft to keep the epoxy from going were it shouldn't
Aug 24, 2017, 07:10 AM
the whole steering gear rig has been fitted, most of it will come out for painting , before the final installation with grease..
Last edited by tghsmith; Aug 24, 2017 at 01:20 PM.
Aug 25, 2017, 07:31 AM
last of the "heavy" brass work done, center shaft bearing holder.. some machining and threading.. some silver solder work.. some cold forging and lots of file work.. after this round of epoxy sets time for filing, sanding , filling, sanding and priming the underwater body and gear..get to go back to working with the hull correctly in the stand,, (she just might make to the fleet gathering in Oct.)
Last edited by tghsmith; Aug 25, 2017 at 08:02 AM.
Aug 25, 2017, 01:27 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
That's some heavy-duty running gear. I doubt you'll need any ballast back there.
Aug 25, 2017, 03:22 PM
coal burners give you lots of displacement to work with.. not as heavy as it looks though and I don't think it will break!!!
Aug 26, 2017, 10:11 AM
Wonderful solution to solve a limited access issue. Not your first time taking this approach, if I remember correctly.
Very nicely done.
Aug 26, 2017, 11:10 AM
looking for bottom anti-foul paint, wanted to go with a red/brown on this ship (many paints were tried during this time frame) found some rustoleum claret wine in satin,, looks to be a very dark red that should look a little different than brown primer..
Aug 28, 2017, 05:30 PM
last little brass piece made for the rudder, it will get countersunk screws in the final assembly.. gave everything a good sanding and then the first coats of bottom paint.. it will need some more sanding and another coat or two, and the a fine sanding to knock of any gloss..
Aug 29, 2017, 12:13 PM
nothing shows imperfections better than a coat of paint,, gave the hull a wet sanding, filled divots and scratches, more sanding,, wiped down and taped off ,, before the red went on a flat black base coat was thinly sprayed on.. this helped to tone the red down to were the color looks good..