Designer Jiro Horikoshi
First flight 4 February 1935
Introduction 1936
Retired 1945
Primary user Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service
Number built 1,094
Variants Mitsubishi Ki-18
Mitsubishi Ki-33
The Mitsubishi A5M, Japanese Navy designation was "Type 96 carrier-based fighter" (九六式艦上戦闘機) was a Japanese carrier-based fighter aircraft. It was the world's first monoplane shipboard fighter and the direct ancestor of the famous Mitsubishi A6M 'Zero'. The Allied reporting name was Claude.

The Claude got my attention many years ago and finally getting around to building a decent size one. I'm loosely using Jack Sheets plan that was published in a model mag several years ago. It is a stand off scale plan. The fuse is built up with 1/4" sheet and then sanded to give a sort of round shape. It has a ws of 58.5" and required a "ton" of nose weight even though he moved the LE back one inch to help with balance. The model weighed 6.5 lbs RTF. I'm hoping I can scale it up a bit and hopefully come out at a lower weight. But I will be using his wing LE location in order to help with balance.
I will be making a FG fuse for it. Instead of a built up wing I will be using a foam one sheeted with 1/32" balsa. There will be FG wheel pants too.

I got started today with the stab & elevator. The plan shows 3/8" balsa but I'll be using 9mm Depron. I cut the stab down 3/32" on the perimeter and laminated it with three layers of 1/32" glued on with Titebond. It's dry but I'll let it set until tomorrow.
I used the projector to blow up cross sections off a 3 view and will be using them to get the fuse shape correct or at least close. I had to redraw the fuse a bit to accommodate the proper formers. The whole idea is to make a plug and then do the reverse method to lay up a FG fuse like I have done so many times before. It will be tedious to do the plug but worth it in the end.
My buddy Col. Graben is building one too so hopefully we will have two of them at SEFF.

I'll get a couple of days work on it before I leave for the huge Perry GA swap meet and see my old buddy Walt from FL. Hopefully I won't drag back a bunch of junk but I do need to replenish my shop supplies since I have used a lot on these latest builds.

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2015, 07:28 PM
I don't do Normal
Hoot another one
Mar 04, 2015, 07:56 AM
Oh no, not again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky_d_brain
Hoot another one
I know, it's hard to keep up, isn't it? Maybe it's time for a J. Morgan forum.

Looking forward to the build, John. I always learn something new.

Regards,
Jeff
Mar 04, 2015, 12:41 PM
I don't do Normal
Naa his Blog page dose a good job of that and this way we get to go on a little tresher hunt
Mar 04, 2015, 04:51 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Please, not a forum. It would be like maintaining a website.

Got some work done today but working on figuring out the LiL Buff plans too. My friend doing them is way ahead of me and needing info.

I have the basic fuse done. Still need to add the gun trough hood, turtledeck and of course the wing cut out with fillets. So a long way to go still. I got carried away sanding a little and have some low spots to fill.

J
Mar 05, 2015, 10:29 AM
The Junk Man
Now that you have the half-shells done, it is a quick and easy step to a set of cheap molds that will allow you to pull as many copies as you like.

Like this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...98&postcount=6

Tom
Mar 05, 2015, 10:41 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
I know, I know. And I will in the future try your method but this one will be like I have done so many. Build the plug, layup the glass,finish the outside, and then cut it off the plug. But don't give up on me.

Have the cockpit area cut out and working on the turtledeck now. Then the gun hood will be added and the vertical fin. After that I need to get the wing middle section done so I can match to the plug and build the fillets. Incorporating the fillets on the plug makes a real chore much easier.

Finished working on details for the LiL Buffalo plans so my friend could finish the drawing. I think we are real close and when we get them done I will get a set printed to build one for the MA article. So I have another small Buff in my future. That should make Justwingit happy.

We had rain, sleet and now snow so worried a bit about getting out of here to attend the Perry GA swap meet tomorrow. We'll see.

J
Mar 05, 2015, 11:23 AM
Gravity sucks.
Love your stuff! Nice choice..not often modeled.
Mark
Mar 05, 2015, 12:13 PM
Warbirds Lover
Hi Mister Morgan,

I take a chair and will follow this thread with a great interest !

Thanks for sharing

Best regards

Pascal
Mar 05, 2015, 01:47 PM
The Japanese aircraft designers sure had some beauties, elliptical wings, flared cowls, etc. This is one of them for me.

Looking forward to it growing into another Morgan Beauty.

Den
Mar 05, 2015, 03:36 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Mark,
I've watched your builds for years, even built a few of them, and really like how you design them as scale yet easy building. Wish mine were more like that.

Pascal,
Glad to have you aboard sir!

Yeah Den,
Beautiful wing but sure looks like a tip stalling to me. I'll try to tame it with washout I guess.

About as far as I can go on the fuse plug for now. Still need a little work on the gun hood and some serious spackling. It can dry while I'm at the swap meet if I can get out of this deep freeze we're in right now.
I'll get my wing blanks and airfoil template ready for the middle section but that's about all I'll get done today.

J
Mar 05, 2015, 08:14 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
J... I know you say you do sleep, but I find it somewhat hard to believe!! You must not be married, and you must not ever watch TV...(unless you watch while building)...but you sure are a fast builder!!

And looking great so far!!!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Mar 05, 2015, 08:15 PM
They call me Lipo...
!
Mar 05, 2015, 08:35 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
J... I know you say you do sleep, but I find it somewhat hard to believe!! You must not be married, and you must not ever watch TV...(unless you watch while building)...but you sure are a fast builder!!

And looking great so far!!!!

SteveT.
Steve,
Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Everything in moderation............. except building.

J
Mar 05, 2015, 08:38 PM
Hi Mr Morgan, I have admired this aircraft for a long time too, so I had a quick look to see if I could find some extra information on its wing geometry. The best information I could find was on the Russian/Japanese drawings that you already have. I did some quick analysis of that information and sketched it on the side view, which may help you in laying out your wing washout.

It appears to me that the aircraft had a considerable amount of washout through twist of the chord line plus washout of the camber line as the section thins from the centre section to the tip. The chord lines and zero lift axes are sketched on the side view. I have assumed that the centre section has a constant section with no twist, so all of the washout is outboard of the dihedral break. This means that the overall washout is effectively quite high when you extrapolate back to the center line for comparison with other aircraft. I have estimated the reduction of camber follows the thickness shown in the front view with the camber falling by a factor of 4 - just about vanishing.

The wing also has a chord line twist that is pretty significant, but the way it is accomplished appears to be mostly by the lower surface rising to meet the trailing edge as it sweeps forward since the trailing edge ellipse is much more prominent than that of the leading edge. This has the effect of disguising the presence of the twist of the chord line.

The effect is 4 degrees total of washout in the outer wing panel (about 6 degrees overall).

The Spitfire also had a twisted elliptical wing with a washout of camber as the section thinned toward the tip for a total overall washout of about 3 degrees. This seems like a pretty good benchmark for the minimum washout to prevent tip stall on an elliptical wing.

I'll be interested to see whether this fits with your ideas and how how this works out in practice.

Quick Reply