Jun 18, 2016, 04:02 PM

Pictures to post...finally

A friend at the field was able to capture the rocket engine blast this morning.

I added a 1/8 ounce weight to the landing gear dolly and it drops every time now.
Last edited by FlyBigElectric; Apr 28, 2019 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2016, 09:40 PM
sweet pics!
Jan 31, 2017, 06:28 PM
Good news a red one is on the way.
Feb 06, 2017, 05:20 PM
still kinda kinda want one of these grr. Haven't been flying much for a while though so I'm afraid it would mostly just sit there hanging from a wall.
May 29, 2017, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockowpb
Upgraded to 60 amp esc, apc 6X4 and a 4s HV battery from HK. GPS datalogger recorded 152mph.
I have the red one, but HK said 4c is ok with stock set up, should I trust them??????
Oct 03, 2017, 05:17 PM
Got one on the way!
Nov 30, 2017, 07:45 AM

Bought one too

Took advantage of Black Friday sale free shipping and bought it for $85. It arrived on 11/27/17 and a quick box opening and review indicates a good looking model with everything appearing to be in proper working order.

Bill
Dec 01, 2017, 12:15 AM
Mine arrived yesterday and I built it today. Below is a link to my blog with plenty of pictures.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=165037

Dec 11, 2017, 12:43 PM
BAD NEWS - The normal ME-163 has been discontinued.
Dec 12, 2017, 11:31 AM

Hobbyking Durafly Me 163 Komet 950mm PNF 4S-Powered Test Flight

This is the first 4S Test Flight of my Durafly Me 163 Komet 950mm PNF.

Hobbyking Durafly Me 163 Komet 950mm PNF 4S-Powered Test Flight (4 min 34 sec)

As I thoroughly enjoyed the flight characteristics of the RocHobby Swift and Durafly EFXtra, I decided to get my Durafly Me 163 Komet up to speed as well. I was definitely in for a surprise when I made the switch to 4S, as I now consider this plane to be ridiculously fast for its size. More fine-tuning with the rates / throws will be required on future flights as the controls are a lot more sensitive on 4S speeds.

Using the Hitec Energy Sport 60-Amp ESC / APC 5.5x4.5 Speed 400 Electric Propeller setup and powered by a Roaring Top 4S 1800mAh 70C, I measured 38.1-amps max static with 586 watts on the Eflite Power Meter. The Nerf Vortex Whistle adds a unique sound during flight and was installed by drilling a hole on the circular canopy hatch indent and is secured by GE Type II Silicone. The Pretty Woman Designer Nails Set: Stiletto Shape / Long Length that I found at Walmart are also the perfect shape to protect the vulnerable painted foam wing tip bumps that are commonly scratched during landings, and are glued on with Loctite 5-Minute Epoxy. Lastly, the airframe finish is protected with 2 coats of Minwax Satin Finish Polycrylic.

MULTIMEDIA:

Hobbyking Durafly ME-163 Komet 950mm PNF (Red Edition): https://hobbyking.com/en_us/durafly-...m-pnf-red.html

RC Groups Durafly ME-163 Komet Main Thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...y-Me-163-Komet

MODIFICATIONS:

1) Hitec Energy Sport 60-Amp ESC: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEWMV

2) APC 5.5x4.5 Speed 400 Electric Propeller: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX1679&P=7

3) Minwax Satin Finish Polycrylic Coated Airframe (2 Coats): https://www.walmart.com/ip/Minwax-Po...Satin/17300055

4) Nerf Vortex Whistle (Painted to match with Rust-Oleum “Poppy Red” and Clear Coated): http://www.toysrus.at/product/index....ctId=100332981

5) Protective Black Wing Bump Skid Plates (Pretty Woman Designer Nails: Stiletto Shape / Long Length):
https://www.prettywomannyc.com/produ...accents-spikes

TRANSMITTER, RECEIVER, & SETUP:

Transmitter: Spektrum DX8 G2
Receiver: Lemon RX DSMX 7-Channel Diversity Stabilizer / Receiver
Stabilizer Gains: 9 O’Clock Setting on all Axis-es & 30% Master Gain Increase on Aux 3
Control Rod Placement: Outermost Holes on Elevons and Rudder
Rates Used: 70%-Aileron / 40% Expo, 80%-Elevator / 28% Expo, 100-Rudder, 5% Expo
Battery: Roaring Top 4S 1800mAh 70C
Throttle Timer: 4 Minutes
Total Flight Time: 4 Minute(s), 1 Second(s)
Lipo Final Voltage: 15.19 Volts out of 16.80 Volts (3.80 Volts / Cell) at 32%
Max Static Amps: 38.1
Output: 586 Watts

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Camera: iPhone 7 at 1080P / 60 FPS
Cameraman: Mike “Deuces Wild” F.

Thanks for watching!
Dec 12, 2017, 03:31 PM
Excellent write up and annotation. Video is great. iPhone 7 is an incredible video device. Since I bought a 7s Plus that is all I use for video. A 7s and a iPad are a great set of tools for making hassle free and excellent videos.

The flying Site is beautiful. Is the grass real? It looks short and flat like a billiard table.

Lastly, at a mile high elevation the 4s compensates nicely. It rips.

Bill
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 12, 2017 at 05:32 PM.
Dec 12, 2017, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Excellent write up and annotation. Video is great. iPhone 7 is an incredible video device. Since I bought a 7s Plus that is all I use for video. A 7s and a iPad are a great set of tools for making hassle free and excellent videos.

The flying Stevens is beautiful. Is the grass real? It looks short and flat like a billiard table.

Lastly, at a mile high elevation the 4s compensates nicely. It rips.

Bill
Thank you! And I agree. My buddy has the iPhone 7 and Ihave the iPhone 6. We both video at 1080p at 60fps. Very clear video with little distortion. We have learned however that at certain times of the day when the sun is at a certain angle tends to mess with the autofocus of the lens and blurs out some parts. As a matter of fact, that is why I cut my video in parts.. I took out all the blurred moments where the lens was having a hard time with iMovie on my Mac Air. Great job to my buddy though that managed to get the footage of this stupidly fast moving plane - on 4S, it disappears really quickly!

I am very blessed to be living right across from the David Lorenz Regional Park where I spend a lot of time flying at. The park is a set of Astroturf (artificial turf) fields composed of 1, baseball field, 4 standard size lacrosse fields and one double-wide lacrosse field (this is where I usually fly). The Astroturf is nice and allows me to fly almost all of my planes there. The rules there are also quite simple - if there aren't any field rentals, you can fly. Almost all of the pilots that fly there all know each other and its a very relaxed atmosphere as we take turns flying or watching each other fly. I have no need for clubs, extra fees, or specific rules or pattern of flight, etc.

The Komet feels right at home taking off and landing there, and on 4S power the elevation is a complete non-issue.
Dec 12, 2017, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
Thank you! And I agree. My buddy has the iPhone 7 and Ihave the iPhone 6. We both video at 1080p at 60fps. Very clear video with little distortion. We have learned however that at certain times of the day when the sun is at a certain angle tends to mess with the autofocus of the lens and blurs out some parts. As a matter of fact, that is why I cut my video in parts.. I took out all the blurred moments where the lens was having a hard time with iMovie on my Mac Air. Great job to my buddy though that managed to get the footage of this stupidly fast moving plane - on 4S, it disappears really quickly!

I am very blessed to be living right across from the David Lorenz Regional Park where I spend a lot of time flying at. The park is a set of Astroturf (artificial turf) fields composed of 1, baseball field, 4 standard size lacrosse fields and one double-wide lacrosse field (this is where I usually fly). The Astroturf is nice and allows me to fly almost all of my planes there. The rules there are also quite simple - if there aren't any field rentals, you can fly. Almost all of the pilots that fly there all know each other and its a very relaxed atmosphere as we take turns flying or watching each other fly. I have no need for clubs, extra fees, or specific rules or pattern of flight, etc.

The Komet feels right at home taking off and landing there, and on 4S power the elevation is a complete non-issue.
Sorry about the “Stevens” autocorrect change. How in word “site” becomes Stevens is strange.

Making a good video takes time, footage and a willingness to cut and discard bad clips. IMovie makes it easy. The trailer templates are great. Below was shot with a iPhone 7s plus. See below.

Sept 16 & 17 RC Air Show (1 min 5 sec)
Dec 12, 2017, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Sorry about the “Stevens” autocorrect change. How in word “site” becomes Stevens is strange.

Making a good video takes time, footage and a willingness to cut and discard bad clips. IMovie makes it easy. The trailer templates are great. Below was shot with a iPhone 7s plus. See below.

https://youtu.be/4t7moVYfrcQ
Agreed. I take a lot of time and effort into my vids, and always try to give as much information I can in my video info (as to avoid the most commonly asked questions for that particular plane after posting it).

Nice trailer video!
Dec 12, 2017, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
Agreed. I take a lot of time and effort into my vids, and always try to give as much information I can in my video info (as to avoid the most commonly asked questions for that particular plane after posting it).

Nice trailer video!
Thanks.

Your effort shows and it answers many questions. I do have one though. Are you running an external SBEC to feed gyros which are be stabilized? DSMX receivers do not like low voltage spikes below 3.5 volts.

Quick Reply