Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Flyzone Sensei FS (Flight Stabilization) Rx-R Brushless Trainer Review

The excellent Sensei electric trainer is the first plane available with the innovative WISE 3-axis stabilization system. The Wise system works as advertised! Now you can learn all about the new Sensei FS with Flight Stabilization and a success guarantee for Beginners with the RTF Version.

Splash

Introduction

Sensei FS by Flyzone (1 min 44 sec)

Wingspan: 58"
Wing Area: 566 square inches
Weight: 3.24-3.5 lb
Length: 48"
Servos: 5 micro servos
Transmitter: Tactic TTX650
Receiver: Tactic 6-Channel
Battery: ElectriFly 3-Cell 11.1V 2200mAh LiPo w/Star plug connector
Motor: Brushless Outrunner
ESC: 30 Amp Brushless ESC with BEC
Manufacturer: Flyzone FlyZone
Available From: Tower Hobbies and Fine Hobby Stores Everywhere
Price: $199.99 Rx-R
Price: $299.99 RTF

When I saw the announcement for the new WISE flight stability system I was intrigued. When I learned it was going to have settings for the Beginner, Intermediate and Expert pilot I was even more interested because I have a natural interest in items designed to help the Beginner to learn to fly and to advance to become an Intermediate pilot. In the last few years great strides have been made in this area. But what got me to request this review was when they announced the system would be installed in the Sensei, making it the Sensei FS (Flight Stabilization). I owned an original Sensei and found that she flies GREAT! She flies where directed with great tracking. She is large and easily visible so she makes visual orientation very easy to maintain. Since she flies like she is on rails the beginner pilot can see what the plane is doing and know what they are doing; both right and wrong in flying the plane. Besides being a good trainer the Sensei was a great Sunday flyer and the drop box lets pilots drop small bombs or candy. Candy is popular to drop especially at fun flys. The new Sensei FS is an even better plane for the Beginner than the original Sensei so let me explain why that is true in this review.

For all you more advanced pilots she remains a very fun plane for Sunday flying as explained in the aerobatic section of this review.

Sensei Rx-R Kit Contents

Kit Contents

• Two piece wing with ailerons
  • Horizontal stabilizer and elevator
  • Vertical stabilizer and rudder
  • Sensei Fuselage with brushless motor and ESC, working drop box and WISE Flight Stabilization
  • Five installed micro servos
  • Illustrated instruction manual

Items Needed to Complete and Fly the Rx-R version of the Sensei

• Radio: Five or more channel transmitter and receiver
  • LiPo Battery: 3S 2100-2200mAh
  • Balanced LiPo Battery Charger: Compatible with selected battery
  • LiPo Charging bag

The RTF version Includes

• Everything listed in the Rx-R version plus
  • Radio: Six channel transmitter and receiver
  • LiPo Battery: 3S 2100-2200mAh
  • Balanced LiPo Battery Charger: Compatible with selected battery
  • 4 AA Batteries for the Tactic transmitter

Items Needed

• Lipo Charging bag

Flyzone Promoted Features

• Stabilization System: WISE 3-axis with three flight modes; Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Bailout Switch that immediately returns aircraft to straight and level flight from any orientation and from any of the three flight modes.
  • Construction: Aerocell foam with pre-applied trim scheme, drop door in fuselage opens from fifth channel of the radio.
  • Wing: Two piece bolt together with ailerons
  • Motor: Brushless outrunner
  • Servos: five micro servos
  • Landing Gear: One-piece aluminum main landing gear strut with two wheels
  • Steerable front nose gear
  • Tail Section: Self-aligning, attaches to fuselage with one screw.
  • NO gluing required

Your Success Is Guaranteed!

The Sensei FS RTF is such a great way to learn to fly that they guarantee your success! Simply train at an AMA-chartered club with a qualified, club-designated instructor. If you crash before successfully learning to fly, Flyzone will repair or replace your Sensei FS RTF...FREE! See your instruction manual for details.

To take advantage of this guarantee the Beginner will need to contact and work with an AMA-charted Club and work with a qualified club designated instructor. Working with a qualified club-designated instructor should go along way in helping to guarantee your success. However, if it doesn't and your plane is damaged or destroyed while working with an AMA club designated qualified instructor Flyzone will replace the damaged parts up to the entire plane.

WISE Flight Stabilization System

Reviewer's Note

The Sensei FS is the first plane to utilize the new WISE flight stabilization system. This system is explained at flywiserrc. I have downloaded the information from this Website so that I could learn about what the WISE flight system is all about and share that information with you. I have also posted a link to the Website so you can see the information as they posted it. This section below is copied or paraphrased from their Website. They explain their system. My review of how it works will be discussed in the Flight Section of this review. It was interesting to me that this system is stand alone and not part of a receiver. We are allowed a choice of what radio system we want to use with the WISE system. (More on that below.) So, in their own words here is the WISE system.

Link to the WISE Website:FLYWISERRC

No one wants to see their plane crash, and that’s where WISE comes in. It’s like having a flight instructor standing next to you at the field, ready to take over when needed. Think of it the same way a reset button works on a simulator — except you’re actually out flying your real model!

Quality Electronics at Work

WISE is a module installed in the aircraft that keeps your model stable, so you’ll feel at ease at the controls. The technology is built into the aircraft, ready to be employed without complicated tuning or programming. In a nutshell: data received from dual sources — a 3-axis gyro and 3-axis accelerometer — is combined and processed to sense position, orientation and attitude changes instantly and accurately. The system then makes the appropriate corrections to avoid situations that might lead to a crash.

3-Axis Gyro

The WISE gyro system stabilizes your model in three different axes — yaw, roll and pitch — to keep external forces from adversely affecting performance. Such forces might include an unexpected gust of wind, which could jar your aircraft enough to send it off-course. Planes equipped with WISE, however, maintain a smooth and predictable flight path. Watch the video below to learn more.

WISE Overview (0 min 43 sec)

3-Axis Accelerometer

With the accelerometers you can let go of the transmitter sticks and your model will automatically return to stable, level flight. That’s a good “fail-safe” to have if you become disoriented. And you can turn it OFF at any time to gain complete control of your plane.

The WISE stabilization system can adapt to your skill/experience level!

Choose from three different flight modes that let you learn and hone piloting skills at your own pace.

Beginner: (LED Blue flash) This mode allows turns and pitch up to approximately 30°, but won’t let you over-control. If the Sensei FS banks or rolls more than the pilot wants, He can simply release the sticks to return to straight and level flight.

Intermediate: (LED Green flash) This mode limits bank and pitch to less than 90°. You’ll be able to perform some steep banking maneuvers, while still being able to release the sticks and have the plane return to level flight.

Advanced: (LED Red flash) Once you’re comfortable with the basics, you can fly on your own without the aid of the stabilization system. No limit on directional movement except the actual physical limits of what the plane can perform.

The Bailout Switch Provides Extra Insurance!

On the Tactic 610 transmitter the Bailout or Recovery switch is on the top back left side of the transmitter. Off is the back position. Pull it forward activates the recovery function.

Programmed on your transmitter, this function returns your plane to straight and level flight from any orientation, in any of the 3 modes. It overrides the control sticks and returns the plane to level flight. Pulling the recovery switch for longer than five seconds it will time out and the control is returned to the control sticks. Releasing the switch resets it and the switch will again work when pulled.

The Wise Bailout Demo Video

WISE Bailout Function (0 min 27 sec)

Landings and Takeoffs Made Easy!

Landings and takeoffs can be nerve-wracking when you first start and lack confidence. The WISE system takes much of the apprehension out of these maneuvers — all you have to do is increase or decrease the throttle.

The Wise Take Off and Landing Demonstration Video

WISE Takeoff and Landing (0 min 34 sec)

Freedom of Choice.

Some flight stabilization systems operate only with one brand of radio, which can be a big limitation. But the WISE system is compatible with ANY major R/C radio make and model, including Tactic, Futaba, Spektrum, JR, Hitec and others. Now while I accept that statement as true the system has to have a channel six that can be properly set up to allow selection of the modes 0, 1 and 2. The Tactic TTX 610 supplied with the RTF Sensei FS comes all set to properly control the WISE system which makes the RTF option excellent for the Beginner. They also supply the simple programming needed to set up the Tactic TTX650 to control the WISE system. Those are the two transmitters they recommend and I suspect the Tactic TTX850 would also follow the programming used on the 650. However, no information is supplied as to how to set up radios from the other companies to properly have their channel six work with the WISE system. Experienced pilots can probably figure it out but their transmitter will need an available 3 position switch for channel six. I don't recommend a radio without programming for new pilots unless they have electronic experience and feel they can handle this..

NOW THAT WE KNOW WHAT THE WISE SYSTEM IS! I WILL REVIEW HOW THE SENSEI FS ASSEMBLES AND HOW WISE WORKS IN MY OWN WORDS!

Assembly

Please feel free to assemble the plane in the sequence described in the Instruction Manual. I have covered the assembly by sections for my convenience only in writing this review. The assembly is quick and easy with the illustrated manual.

Tail

The tail pieces are foam and come fully assembled. The only assembly step is to flex the elevators and the rudder up and down and side to side to loosen up the foam hinge. With the hinges loosened up I moved on to the assembly of the landing gear and tail pieces to the fuselage.

Fuselage

The first item I attached to the fuselage was the main landing gear. It is fixed gear and came fully assembled. It was secured in place with two supplied 3/16mm sheet metal screws.

Next I attached the horizontal and vertical stabilizers with their control surfaces to the back of the fuselage. This was started by inserting the rudder control arm through the V-bend in the elevator joiner wire on the back of the horizontal stabilizer. Next I rotated the vertical stabilizer into proper position with the horizontal stabilizer. I inserted the three guide posts in the bottom of the vertical stabilizer into the top of the horizontal stabilizer.

The tail now appeared to be one piece but the stabilizers were not yet securely attached. I slid the tail assembly into the back top opening for it in the fuselage and pressed down to seat it in and against the fuselage. Next I installed the supplied 3 x 25mm machine screw into the hole in the back bottom of the fuselage and screwed it through the horizontal stabilizer and up into the vertical fin. The tail was now attached to the fuselage. I used my fingers and attached the control push rods to the control arms as illustrated in the instructions.

Wing

The wing rod came installed on a plastic mounting plate. The wing rod and mounting plate slide into the two wing halves and two wing bolt holes align with the wing bolt holes in the foam wing. A plastic wing connector inserts into the top of the wing and is flush with the top wing surface when properly installed. The wing can be keep together as a one piece wing if space allows or pulled apart with the removal of the wing connecter which just rests in place.

Radio Installation

If you bought the RTF version you should be good to go with the receiver already connected to the WISE controller. With my RxR version I found that the WISE unit was completely wired but that some of the wires for the receiver were rather short. I decided to use a Tactic receiver and my Tactic TTX 650 transmitter since it was specifically discussed in the instruction manual. I was able to connect the throttle wire into the receiver easily with the receiver in the servo/radio compartment. I had trouble connecting the aileron wire but I was able to do it. The rudder and elevator are connectors with a single wire each. The rudder connector only has a single red signal wire and the elevator a single yellow signal wire. There was a brown wire with a connector but the instruction manual said that connector is not used. To connect the connectors with the red and yellow wires into the receiver I found it easiest to temporarily unplug it from the WISE unit. I then plugged those connectors into the receiver and reconnected the connector on the other end of those wires back into the WISE unit. The drop box wire had a lot of extra wire so it was easy to connect it to channel 5 and the wire coming out of the Mode connector on the WISE unit went into channel six on my receiver.

With the wires all plugged into the receiver I bound the receiver to my Tactic TTX650 transmitter and secured the receiver in the servo/radio compartment with some double sided tape that I supplied. The L1 LED on the WISE unit was red before the receiver was bound and switched to green with the transmitter and receiver successfully bound together. The receiver was now installed. Per the instruction manual I programmed my Tactic TTX650 transmitter for the Sensei. That involved reversing the servos for throttle and rudder. I then performed the transmitter programming for channel six as described for a Tactic TTX650 transmitter as nicely explained on pages 8 and 9 of the manual.

The manual made no mention of programming or operation of the drop box feature on the Sensei FS. I assume the TTX 610 transmitter has a switch assigned to channel five but I don't have that transmitter so I can't confirm that for certain but I would be very surprised if it didn't. For my TTX 650 I programmed the drop box to a switch on the back top right of the transmitter and that worked fine.

If you get the RTF version of the Sensei FS with the included Tactic TTX610 transmitter it comes ready to control the plane and the WISE controller. Or if you already have a Tactic TTX610 it should be ready to control the plane with the exception that you should check the servo reversing switches in the back of the transmitter's battery compartment. Servos 1,2,5 and 6 are normal and 3 and 4 should be reversed.

Freedom of Radio Choice Reality

Now while I accept that statement as true the system has to be a six channel system that can be properly set up to allow selection of the modes 0, 1 and 2. That means a selectable three way switch The Tactic TTX610 supplied with the RTF comes all set to properly control the WISE system which makes the RTF option excellent for the Beginner. They also supply the simple programming needed to set up the Tactic TTX650 to control the WISE system as discussed above. Those are the two transmitters they recommend. However, no information is supplied as to how to set up radios from the other companies to properly have their channel six work with the WISE system. Or a Recovery switch. Experienced pilots with radio programming can most likely figure out how to do it, but I DON'T recommend it for newer pilots. So while the statement is true that other brands of radios can be used, programming information is only supplied for the Tactic TTX610 and TTX650. Now you know the rest of that story.

Completion

Mounting the propeller and spinner is one of the last steps in the assemble. Checking the stabilization system as mentioned above should be done first for safety reasons. The collet type prop adapter is slid onto the propeller shaft. Next the spinner back plate was installed onto the prop adapter followed by the propeller and the securing prop nut in place with a small crescent wrench. When I was satisfied it was tight I installed the spinner and secured it in place with two 2.5x8mm self-tapping screws.

I installed some supplied Velcro like material onto the flight battery I supplied. I slipped my 2200mAh flight battery into the battery box located in front of the windshield. I checked to see if the plane was properly balanced on the recommended Center of Gravity. On the underside of the wing on the plastic servo covers I found circular decals and they recommend that the plane balance on those points. It balanced perfectly. No weights or adjustment was needed on my plane.

Note Slow Control Surface Movement on the Ground

Thankfully, I read the complete instruction manual as part of this review so I was expecting the possible slow movement of the control surfaces when testing movement on the ground in Beginner and Intermediate modes. Friends at the field thought my servos or radio must be damaged when I demonstrated this without first explaining. I have printed this note from page 15 in hopes all of you will read it and expect these results!

"You may discover that the control surfaces move slowly without input and do not center in the neutral position when the mode is in BEGINNER or INTERMEDIATE and the plane is sitting stationary. This is normal behavior for the WISE gyro as it is expecting control surface feedback which would normally occur during flight. If you wish to re-check the neutral position of the control surfaces then you will need to switch the mode to ADVANCED."

You can really fool your friends with these results asking what they think is wrong when in Beginner or Intermediate mode if you move the elevator and let go of the transmitter stick and it is very slow in returning to neutral or not even returning to neutral. At least now YOU KNOW what to expect.

Attaching the Wing to the Fuselage

The wing is secured to the fuselage by first plugging the aileron servo wires into the two extension wires connected to the WISE gyro. With the servo wires connected, the wing dowels in the center front section of the wing are inserted into holes for them in the front of the wing saddle. With the wing dowels installed into the fuselage the wing was flat on the top of the fuselage's wing saddle and was then secured in place with the two supplied 6 x 25mm nylon bolts through the wing joiner and into the fuselage using a 0 size Phillips screwdriver.

Selecting from the Three Different WISE Flight Modes

Tactic TTX610 Transmitter

Per the Instruction Manual with the Tactic TTX610 transmitter the three position switch is on the left top front of the transmitter. This switch lets the pilot select their level of experience for the WISE system. The top, 0, position is Advanced, the middle, 1, position is Intermediate and the bottom, 2, position is Beginner.

Tactic TTX650 Transmitter

As discussed above, I programmed channel 6 on my Tactic TTX650 transmitter as described in the Instruction Manual. This programming selected switch E, the top left front switch, on my transmitter to control the WISE selection process on channel 6. I expected the switch positions would be the same as with the TTX610 described above but I found advance and beginner selections were reverse positions. With my TTX650 the back, 0, position is Beginner, the middle, 1, position is Intermediate and the forward, 2, position is Advance. The modes work as described as discussed below but the different switch position initially surprised me. If I want the sequence to be in the same order as described for the TTX610 I can program that from page 20 of my TTX650 manual. The important thing is I could tell what each switch position was controlling by the color of LED L2 on the WISE controller and the controls worked perfectly in the different modes.

Flying

Mike's Beginner Lesson

I have shared these tips before but they have proven useful to Beginners so I will share them again for Beginners thinking of getting the Sensei FS. The two biggest and most common mistakes a beginner makes is 1) Over controlling/over correcting on the controls and 2) Loosing orientation of the plane. I will be discussing #1 below in connection with the plane and the WISE flight stabilization system. I discuss #2 in how the Sensei FS's size makes her easy to see for proper visual orientation of the plane. The second part of proper orientation is being able to give proper commands to the plane no matter what direction the plane is flying.

On takeoff pilots are looking at the plane from behind and the planes right and left are the same as the pilots so orientation is easy to maintain. To help keep it simple I recommend the pilot plan their initial pattern so they know what they are going to do during the flight. At my home field if the wind is from the north I will take off to the north and make a left turn to the west. As I make that left turn I turn my body 90 degrees to the left and I keep my head turned to easily watch the plane. My body and the transmitter are still aligned with the plane so orientation remains easy. The next turn will be a second turn to the left and the plane will be coming back to the south by out west of where I am standing. This time I don't move my legs but I twist my body just a little to my left as I move my arms to keep the transmitter in alignment with the plane. As I continue to turn the plane I continue to move my arms and body to keep the transmitter lined up in the same direction that the plane is going so my right on the transmitter remains aligned with the right side of the plane and I maintain proper orientation with the plane. With practice pilots get their head in the plane's cockpit and they are oriented to the plane as if they were actually in it and no longer need to turn their arms or body to maintain proper orientation and proper control of the plane. This system has proven to work!

Basics

The plane has four channel control with rudder, elevator, aileron and throttle. In advance mode it handles like a nice trainer/Sunday flier and I will discuss that in more detail below. Here I want to cover the Beginner and Expert Modes of flying with WISE.

The plane is manually setup for limited throw of the control surfaces. A view of where the connector rods are attached to the servo arms shows this and the desired maximum throws of the control surfaces confirms that as well.

Limited throw is actually very beneficial for the beginner pilot as beginners tend to move the sticks to the full extremes and over control the plane and then over correct in trying to regain proper flight. WISE in beginner mode limits the pitch and roll as discussed above. In flight testing confirmed these limits appeared to be as described at about 30 degrees maximum pitch or roll. This limitation goes a long way in helping the beginner to keep the plane under control. The letting go of the sticks and having the surface controls on the plane move to return the plane to stabilized flight is a big plus. Should the plane be out of control and the transmitter still in a student's hands I can pull the bailout switch forward and the plane returns to level flight very quickly. Of course the pilot can pull the switch themselves to return to level flight. In the text they discussed both pitch and roll but in the videos they only illustrate roll on letting go of the transmitter sticks. I carefully tested for correction in dives, climbs and rolls. In Beginner Mode she goes to level flight from a dive, a climb or from a steep bank. She returns to level flight very quickly but it is not instantaneous so don't wait too long before letting go of the stick. If you wait until she is one foot above the ground to let go of the stick she will crash. But I found the system worked extremely well.

Intermediate mode allowed for steeper climbs and dives as well as more roll but as advertised was limited to 90 degrees or slightly less. Releasing the sticks and using the bailout switch worked the same as with Beginners Mode.

Taking Off and Landing

Beginner and Intermediate Modes

The WISE gyro is equipped with a Climb Assist function which includes a small percentage of up elevator for all throttle settings above 50% in Beginner and Intermediate modes. Just face the plane into the wind and advance to full throttle. The WISE gyro adds enough elevator for a smooth, gradual lift off and the plane keeps climbing thanks to Climb Assist until the throttle is reduced to 50%. During all of this WISE is keeping the wings stable. Go to full throttle while flying in these modes and she will resume climbing. This makes takeoffs easier for the new pilot. I found it worked as advertised. In testing with a cross wind up to 15 mph she was able to tract nice and straight, hands off at full throttle.

WISE also helps with landings. The biggest concern on landings is a cross wind and the WISE corrects for cross wind with the rudder. With cross winds at 10 mph or less I just lined up with the runway and started reducing throttle. Wise kept the plane in line and over the runway. As I reduce throttle the Sensei FS made a level descent. I like to land with the motor still on while the plane is making a smooth descent. On touch down I reduce the throttle even more.

In winds of 15 mph plus there was some drift in very strong wind but much less than in Advance mode where WISE is turned off. With the higher cross wind I found lining her up facing a little bit more into the wind but over the left side of the runway she would drift less and she would land on the runway without any further command input by me.

Advance Mode

With WISE in the advance setting the takeoffs and landings are made just like every other plane with throttle and some up elevator and the need to use rudder if there is a cross wind. However, it is with the nice steady tracking of the Sensei FS; it is still easier than with many other planes. Taking off and landing in strong cross wind in Advance Mode after having just done it in Beginner or Intermediate mode I really appreciated how well the WISE stabilization system handled the cross wind. Testing the Bailout switch in Advance Mode she still worked perfectly! Pull the switch while flying inverted the plane rolls to the upright position and level flight quickly on her own. She over rides my stick input for five seconds but after those five seconds my stick input again took over. The Bailout switch immediately reset when I flicked it to the back position. I could immediately again pull the switch forward and have five seconds of stable flight.

Advance Mode Aerobatics

Most aerobatics can only be performed in Advance Mode. The restrictions of pitch and roll in beginner and intermediate modes prevent performing a loop or roll. However, I proved it is possible to do a tail stall and half pipe in intermediate mode. In reality I do my aerobatics in advance mode and my friends who are experienced pilots who have flown the Sensei FS prefer the advance mode as well. That is because it lets us have control which is what we want. Although designed as a high wing trainer the Sensei FS does acceptable aerobatics. She can do loop after loop and is easier than most planes to keep in the vertical loop after loop. She can do a good tail stall and fly repeated half pipes. Her aileron rolls when done with speed and a slight climb aren't bad although as expected they are not performed very fast. She can also perform a barrel roll and of course a good split S. For a trainer plane/Sunday flier the aerobatics are acceptable. She also handles windy conditions very well. In wind she can be slowed down to almost a hover and yet she has the power to easily penetrate in 20 mph + winds. A very enjoyable plane to fly in advance mode.

Is This For a Beginner?

YES! This plane is excellent for the beginner, especially the RTF version with their Success Guarantee. The plane was easy to assemble, it is made of tough foam, is easily visible and has the new WISE flight stabilization system. Additionally, the instruction manual has some good tips and instruction for the Beginner to help with the learning process. Remember that the Success Guarantee requires the pilot buy the RTF version of the Sensei FS. That the pilot work with an authorized Flight Instructor from a registered AMA club and the instructor should supervise the learning process.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

This first video below is of the Sensei FS with the WISE flight stabilization system on primarily in Beginner Mode but also briefly in Intermediate Mode. By simply advancing the throttle all the way the Sensei FS was able to take off on its own without any directional commands despite a strong cross wind. It demonstrated that it self stabilizes from a banked position, climb or dive by letting go of the transmitter sticks. Or the plane will quickly resume stable level flight if the Bailout/Recovery switch is pulled.

Sensei FS in Beginner Mode Wise Stabilization (4 min 38 sec)

This second video shows the Sensei FS being flown in Advance Mode which allows the pilot complete control of the plane but still has an active Bailout/Recovery switch. Let the aerobatics begin.

Sensei FS with WISE Flight Stabilization Advance Mode (4 min 31 sec)

Conclusion

For the Beginner with no RC equipment I can strongly recommend the Sensei FS RTF version. It contains the plane, the Tactic TTX610 transmitter, the flight battery and the charger all in one. It comes with the radio set up and after the assembly described above and charging the battery she is ready to fly. The WISE flight stabilization with its Beginner Mode and Bailout switch really should be very helpful for a Beginner to learn to fly. Facing into the wind, the plane can takeoff on her own by just advancing the throttle to full and she will climb to a safe altitude when the pilot can reduce throttle for level flight. The large size of the plane and the different markings on the top and bottom of the wing should help the pilot with orientation as discussed above. Finally, if working with an AMA club's authorized flight instructor, should something still go wrong, the pilot has an insurance policy to get free replacement parts.

After mastering the Beginner Mode the pilot can advance to Intermediate Mode and be able to perform steeper banks and dives. I consider this Mode really one of helping to establish more confidence in the pilot. I don't expect pilots to stay at this level for very long before moving on to the advance level.

The advance level lets the pilot have full control of the plane. In the process the newer pilot may make a mistake and get the plane out of control. Having the Bailout switch still active in this level is an excellent idea and will allow the pilot to pull the switch, get the plane back into stable flight and resume control. This should really help the newer pilots enhance their skills and advance in their ability to fly other RC planes.

As an advanced pilot myself I still very much enjoy flying the Sensei FS. She handles well, has good speed and does very acceptable aerobatics for a Sunday flyer as seen in the last video above. She also has the drop box which is fun to operate with others at the field. In my opinion this is one trainer that a pilot can grow with and enjoy flying for years. It will also be nice to have when non flying friends express an interest in learning how to fly.

Pluses & Minuses

Pluses

• She flies like she is on rails!
  • Good size for visibility
  • Reasonably powered with affordable 3-cell 2100 - 2200 mAh battery packs
  • Easy to remove wing for transportation and quick field assembly
  • WISE gyro works and has settings for Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced pilots
  • Recovery Switch returns plane to level flight no matter what positions the control stick are held
  • Good discussion of the WISE system in the manual and instructions for Take-offs, Flight and Landings
  • Drop box is a nice fun item built into the plane.

Minuses

• Programming instructions for the WISE system only supported the two Tactic transmitters as discussed above
  • Manual failed to discuss the drop box operation

Thanks

I want to thank Hobbico and FlyZone for providing the Sensei FS for this review. I want to thank my friends Bill, Dan, Dick, Jose and Neil for their assistance in helping me test the plane's handling and the WISE Flight Stabilization system. They also helped me get the in air media for this review of the Sensei FS.

Last edited by Michael Heer; May 03, 2015 at 08:42 PM..
May 19, 2015, 09:49 AM
This space reserved for any future comments by the author.
May 19, 2015, 10:55 AM
dbc
dbc
Very nice review, Mike. Very detailed, comprehensive, with lots of good photos and videos. Well done!
May 20, 2015, 01:25 PM
Thanks dbc! She is a pretty plane that photographs nicely and flies even better. Mike H
May 20, 2015, 02:52 PM
Great review. I have mine programed to my Tactic 850. Noted thst 60% on low rate needed to be programed into, unlike tactic 610 which has hi and lo rates pre- programed. Wating for break in high winds to maiden. Manta.
May 20, 2015, 03:33 PM
I have flown this a few times. It is a very nice plane.
May 22, 2015, 01:30 AM
how does this compare to the apprentice safe... thats the million dollar question
May 22, 2015, 10:36 PM
a.k.a. Pork Chop
I just bought the Sensei FS Rx-R for my son and I'm looking forward to seeing him fly it. I've heard it is a great flyer.
May 23, 2015, 10:24 PM
Closed Account
as brownegg24am asked..how does it compare to the SAFE ?

Since so many are installing the E-Flite SAFE out of the Apprentice into 100 other airframes as of today....( and also the SAFE version Rx from the Corsair )

I wonder if the WISE system could also be installed in other airframes ??

Now HH has come out with the Sportsman + Safe+GPS......Safe system, + virtual fence+ auto landing+ panic recovery+AS3X........a system it seems maybe hard to beat.

Wise seems to be the same concept as the E-Flite SAFE Receiver.....?

But i also notice, they do not list it separately in the parts listings ( guess they are not allowing it to be sold by itself perhaps ?
Last edited by HGhost; May 23, 2015 at 10:31 PM.
May 31, 2015, 08:50 AM
So when will this copycat of the e-flite Apprentice safe receiver sell its receiver seperately?
And what other transmitters will the wise receiver work with besides tactic?
Last edited by harrisdouma; May 31, 2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling
May 31, 2015, 09:35 AM
WISE is not a receiver. It is an add on. It plugs into the receiver. There is a photo or the unit shown near the top of the review in the section "WISE Flight Stabilization System". There are other similar type units on the market now.
Seems like it should work with any other receiver.
May 31, 2015, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers
WISE is not a receiver. It is an add on. It plugs into the receiver. There is a photo or the unit shown near the top of the review in the section "WISE Flight Stabilization System". There are other similar type units on the market now.
Seems like it should work with any other receiver.
Thank you for clarification Ken.
May 31, 2015, 01:28 PM
Closed Account
The Wise is allot like a 6 axis Flight control

like a Dectrum sold at Grayson hobby
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ol-p-3092.html

or a 2D3D
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...0&inc_subcat=1

as the SAFE is a one Unit Rx with Control built into it.
Jun 10, 2015, 11:14 PM
I have found with ours so far. Flys great but one hiccup I have found and tech support is working on is the nosewheel servo.
My new pilot, my daughter, bounced the nosewheel on landing and stripped the servo gears.
I replaced it with a hitec 5505mg digital servo and performed all the standard tests.
The servo had to be reversed to work properly but the WISE system is correcting in the wrong direction.
Tech support had no clue of this and I asked if the servos were proprietary to the WISE system and they said no.
I had them stumped and they are working on the situation now.
With no pots for adjustment of the WISE system or any information on how to fix issues with the system might cause problems down the line.
Hope to hear from them before next week but they have their work cut out for them just in case they get more complaints about using other than stock equipment. Love the sensei though and so does my daughter. Will repost if they resolve the issue and what they come up with.
Jun 12, 2015, 02:25 AM
Tech support told me how to fix this issue and here it goes.
The pots to adjust the gains are under the sticker on the wise gyro.
Simply turn them until you get what your looking for and Walla. It's all fixed now.

Quick Reply