This thread is privately moderated by extremewing, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 05, 2015, 11:39 AM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportPlane
As per Daves recommendation I am using the Rhino 2s 360mha batteries that Hobby King sells. I am guessing that there are other batteries that may work, but I have not found any that have the capacity and dimensions of the Rhino. Aloft sells 2amp nano voltage regulater that will work fine. I would like to but currently don't have planes to use a altimeter and after doing a dry fit of all of the electrical equipment and wires I don't think there is enough room in the Stobel for any more gadgets and their wires to fit inside the fuselage.
Have you considered going 1S and using the Hobby King round LiPo's? You get a 900mah that may fit.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2015, 11:56 AM
After I bought the Rhinos I discovered that some people are using the 3.7v single cell batteries with success, but I have done some research and discovered that the x4r RX is rated at a min voltage of 4v and I am not sure how well it will operate below 4v. Also I have been told that the jr285 servos in the fuse of my glider and the Hyperion wing mount servos are not designed for low voltage operation. I was told that they should be run at no less than 5v and preferably 5.5v. Apparently their are servos designed to operate on low voltage? So while I agree with you on simple is better I am pretty much stuck on my course until my next glider.
Last edited by SportPlane; Mar 05, 2015 at 12:01 PM.
Mar 05, 2015, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Most receivers have some voltage rating around 4V.

Requiring no less than 5V is not possible on a servo. A normal nimh battery would go down to 4V when discharged and would not be above 5V for most of its useful capacity.

All RX's and servos I have seem to, go down to less than 3V and still work. This includes the X4R.

My advice wold be to test the lowest voltage that keeps everything working so you know first hand, but my bet is you will be fine on 1S with a low voltage alarm at 3.5V..
Mar 05, 2015, 12:51 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
After I bought the Rhinos I discovered that some people are using the 3.7v single cell batteries with success, but I have done some research and discovered that the x4r RX is rated at a min voltage of 4v and I am not sure how well it will operate below 4v. Also I have been told that the jr285 servos in the fuse of my glider and the Hyperion wing mount servos are not designed for low voltage operation. I was told that they should be run at no less than 5v and preferably 5.5v. Apparently their are servos designed to operate on low voltage? So while I agree with you on simple is better I am pretty much stuck on my course until my next glider.

I have been running 900 1s cells with my dlgs, they all have two 285's and two Hyperion DS09's. With a voltage warning at 3.75 volts I get about 2.5 to 3 hours of time on the 900 sized round cells.

BP
Mar 05, 2015, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
I have been running 900 1s cells with my dlgs, they all have two 285's and two Hyperion DS09's. With a voltage warning at 3.75 volts I get about 2.5 to 3 hours of time on the 900 sized round cells.

BP
Thanks good to know. If I still have my plane when the batteries need replacement I will try those batteries. I can set a voltage alarm at 3.75v now and keep track of the planes operation down to 3.5 volts or is it safe to go lower?
Mar 05, 2015, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
3.5V would be the critical alarm. At 3.75V, the battery still has over 50% capacity remaining. I use around 3.6 as my low warning.
Mar 05, 2015, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
3.5V would be the critical alarm. At 3.75V, the battery still has over 50% capacity remaining. I use around 3.6 as my low warning.
Thanks I will have to figure out how to program a battery alarm too. :^)
Mar 05, 2015, 01:48 PM
Thread OP
The alarms are set in my eepe from this thread. You need to calibrate the range for your system though, and that will take a multimeter or some way to measure the voltage on the battery while the plane is on.
Mar 05, 2015, 02:05 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Thanks good to know. If I still have my plane when the batteries need replacement I will try those batteries. I can set a voltage alarm at 3.75v now and keep track of the planes operation down to 3.5 volts or is it safe to go lower?
You want to protect the cell from too low a voltage, and, the voltage will drop as the servos are activated. So I believe 3.7 is a good alarm setting. It will allow you to land the plane safely.

BP
Mar 05, 2015, 02:06 PM
I use 2x 1000mAh round lipo in parallel in my main model. This gives me 2000mAh capacity and lots of juice for any high currents. My log files do not show any voltage drop under load.

I fly for 45 minutes during work lunch time 3 to 4 times a week and charge once a month.
Mar 05, 2015, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
The alarms are set in my eepe from this thread. You need to calibrate the range for your system though, and that will take a multimeter or some way to measure the voltage on the battery while the plane is on.
Ok thanks tonight I will download your eepe and see if I can figure it out on companion. I hope you don't mind. I will probably have a bunch of questions. After building a unfinished eepe from the tutorial I posted earlier I have learned some of the basic concepts regarding a four servo glider setup viewed through open Tx, I need to finish that eepe so I understand what is offered and how it is built and works in that tutorial. Building different setups is what will help me to learn open Tx.
Mar 05, 2015, 07:42 PM
I looked at it. It is simpler than most i have looked at but my programing skills are not up to the level of programing skill that you used to develop your eepe to be able to understand it by looking at the mixer files. When i viewed it in the companion simulator it looked like the dots were not resting in a neutral starting position and when i moved the sticks the indicator dots did not look symmetrical as they moved. That is confusing to me. I definitely need a tutorial of your setup process to understand what you did and why you did it that way or look at it later after i have built a few eepe's.
Mar 05, 2015, 07:46 PM
There is some diff in this program. .. so the dots wont move the same.. the dots are the servo angles. your linkages will vary. Sport... don't worry about being able to program yet. just get that DLG on the taranis up and flying... then soon those CO boys will be dumping all those SG10's
Mar 05, 2015, 07:56 PM
Yes i have not setup with diff only curve. I understand the setup process in the link i provided and will finish figuring it out. I will be able to fly my glider from it when i finish it. I am pretty sure i could figure yours out with a tutorial of steps taken to create it. Yours is simpler than most i have looked at.
Mar 05, 2015, 08:01 PM
Why not use the steps in the OP to just set up on your plane and see what it looks like on real servos and surfaces. DO you have all the best suggested camber and flight settings for your DLG? Launch is just start with 1/8" up elev from horizontal.

By setting it up and then seeing what it does and going in and changing some expo numbers you will see how the program works.

Quick Reply